Olight T10 Q5 owners --> Do you use 16340s and/or RCR123?

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Hello,

Olight recommends CR123 for its Olight T10 Q5. I know from the Fenix-threads, that using something different than the recommendation can quickly lead to total destruction. My question: Are there any Olight T10 Q5 owners out there, who are using 16340s and/or RCR123s successfully and without problems in this flashlight? Or there are any complaints? :confused:

I ask, because it's cheaper to use 16340s cells. I know from LightReviews.info, that the battery tube can accommodate protected 16340 cells just fine. That's the theory.

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

Regards,
CandleFranky

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 16340 is an RCR123A. Typically though when we say RCR123A we mean a protected 16340.

For the Olight you'll want a 3.0V not a 3.6 or 3.7V (same thing) RCR123A as the 3V cells will maintain all of the output levels whereas the 3.6/3.7V cells will drop the bottom 2-3 levels of output.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
A 16340 is an RCR123A. Typically though when we say RCR123A we mean a protected 16340.

For the Olight you'll want a 3.0V not a 3.6 or 3.7V (same thing) RCR123A as the 3V cells will maintain all of the output levels whereas the 3.6/3.7V cells will drop the bottom 2-3 levels of output.
Matt, thank you very much for this information.

3V cells are 17340? But they are NOT protected. I don't like that such cells could explode when overdischarged or overcharged. :naughty:

What is the meaning of "loosing bottom levels"? It would be no problem to use the Olight T10 Q5 mostly in high mode(s). But it would be a problem, if the flashlight will be destroyed by too much V. :poof:

Any experiences?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt, thank you very much for this information.

3V cells are 17340? But they are NOT protected. I don't like that such cells could explode when overdischarged or overcharged. :naughty:

What is the meaning of "loosing bottom levels"? It would be no problem to use the Olight T10 Q5 mostly in high mode(s). But it would be a problem, if the flashlight will be destroyed by too much V. :poof:

Any experiences?

MattK at BatteryJunction sells two kinds of 3.0v rechargeable lithium cells. One is Li-ion protected, with a circuit that reduces the voltage to 3.0v [although there is an extreamly short-lived burst of 3.6v current at the beginning, but this may only be a problem on some incandesant lights.] There is also a LiPO4Fe cell that will not ever vent dangerously or flame.

I've used the Li-ion protected cells for about two years now and like them alot, including in a high drain Lux V light which uses three cells. This light was a real battery eater before I went to the rechargeables in it, but the light is so bright it is hard not to turn it on when it's dark outside. Made some friends jealous when we were caving.

I believe the 3.0v protected cells are ~750mAh and the LiFePO4 are ~600 mAh, but double-check first if you are interested in them.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using Tenergy 3.0 volt RCR123's right now and while rated (under?) at 550ma they work and retain the low modes. As I got them for a special price it won't be any big loss if one is lost by high current draw. I'm hoping that if I keep them topped up they'll do fine. I am hoping that since A123 cells have now become available in 18650's that they will soon make CR123 size cells as I'm sure they would be a real help for Fenix lights and a couple others that lose the low light levels on rechargeables due to direct driving at the higher voltages. Too bad these lights aren't as smart as HDS and Novatac lights and others that seem to do fine on any voltage without losing the low. Still the Olight is a great little throw monster and cool UI.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift :goodjob:

matrixshaman - The A123A lithium ion phosphate/LiFePO4 technology has been available in CR123A sizes for well over a year. Actual capacities are in the 400mah range and voltage is ~3.2-3.3. That said there were a number of discussions of patent issues this year at CES so the next year should be...interesting...as A123 and Hydro Quebec are busy suing each other (and the Chinese mfrs are humming along making cells)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift :goodjob:

matrixshaman - The A123A lithium ion phosphate/LiFePO4 technology has been available in CR123A sizes for well over a year. Actual capacities are in the 400mah range and voltage is ~3.2-3.3. That said there were a number of discussions of patent issues this year at CES so the next year should be...interesting...as A123 and Hydro Quebec are busy suing each other (and the Chinese mfrs are humming along making cells)

I wasn't aware that these are the same nano tech as A123 systems batteries. Thats good news except of course the lower current is a bit limiting. Thanks for the info.

Lightmax

Newly Enlightened
My question: Are there any Olight T10 Q5 owners out there, who are using 16340s and/or RCR123s successfully and without problems in this flashlight? Or there are any complaints? :confused:

I recieved my T10 Q5 several weeks ago, and so far I am very impressed.

As far as the Rcr123's, I would wonder, 'why bother?'. This little light lasts a LOOOONG time on regular primaries, and only uses one at a time!

I use both the highest, and the lowest settings, and I'm still on the first battery, and yes, I use it every day.

I'm glad that Matt @ Battery Junction recommended this light to me in a PM, over several others that I was looking at.

It's a great little light. It doesn't replace my larger lights for specific purposes, such as my M1 and MRV, but this one I carry in my pocket everyday, and use every day.

Lightmax