Nitecore Defender Infinity, Suggestions?

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've been interested in it since I clicked the link at the top of the cpf page sometime ago. So i think it's going to be my next light.. I've read almost every review I could find, and now have a couple questions.

When I get it, I plan on just running plain AA Duracells in it. Being designed to run off of these, I'd assume it would be a pretty bright light. The graphs I've seen seem to tell me that rechargables are better for runtime and whatnot but I figure I'll just stick with AA's since I can get a fairly decent amount of them so it wouldn't be that bad on my wallet. Anyone have experience with running plain AA's in it?(Understand I'm trying to stay away from getting into recharagables)

Thanks for Your Time,
Steven

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is an excellent and detailed review here, with a runtime graph, lux measurements, beamshots, and /10 ratings, as well as a few page writeup. There are also reviews of most other notable new lights on the same site to compare to.

http://www.lightreviews.info/nitecore_defender/review.html

I beleive it comes in a package with rechargeables, with much better runtime.

Seems like the best 1xAA to me too - hoping to buy one soon.

Last edited:

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link, hadn't seen that review before.

So that graph shows about.. 35ish minutes on high on a normal AA at 190(I'd assume maybe 100 actual lumens?) lumens... that's not too bad, considering I'd probably use it on a lower setting half the time, and the relatively cheap prices(Compared to CR123's) of AA's wouldn't be too much of a burden. Do you suppose a Lithium AA(http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=3870902&st=AA+battery&type=product&id=1051384056034) would give a slightly better runtime seeing as how they lose voltage at a slower rate?(I think)

Thanks,
Steven

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a DI, but as a geuss when I hear 190 lumens I assume around 150 out the front. Definitely over 100, though it might not look much brighter due to the way the eyes sense light.

I haven't seen a runtime graph on lithiums, but they are always much better, usually even than rechargeables, but maybe not for the Infinity since it is so optimized for a 14500. you could bet on flat regulation and double the runtime w/ a lithium AA. However, they are a bit more expensive. The provided rechargeables are still the best choice in my opinion, with the nice ability to use AAs in an emergency.

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
I went to the site and I didn't see some included rechargables on the things included.. maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but I'll figure that out when I get one.

If it doesn't I'll probably splurge on some Lithiums here and there but mostly use AA's.

Thanks for all the info.

Steven

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turned down the output on the DI till it was still considerably bright for a small light and got over 3 hours flat runtime on a cheap AA alkaline. LED's become a lot more efficient if you do not run them full out. I wish I had a light meter to read what the output was but it was still pretty bright and still more output than on older 2D light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I know you probably don't want to hear it, but if you're going to spend $80+ on a light, why not get a good $20 set of 4xAA's and a smart charger to use with it? You'll get MUCH better results. A brighter light with better runtime.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
I know you probably don't want to hear it, but if you're going to spend $80+ on a light, why not get a good $20 set of 4xAA's and a smart charger to use with it? You'll get MUCH better results. A brighter light with better runtime.
your expensive flashlight is only as good as the batteries in it:thumbsup:

kilgor

Enlightened
I beleive it comes in a package with rechargeables, with much better runtime.

The provided rechargeables are still the best choice in my opinion...

The Nitecore does not come with any batteries.

Scopionboy,

Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are safe, available at your local Target, Walmart, etc. with a charger for cheap, and provide better performance by far than alkalines. When you need fresh batteries, you just pop them in the charger, instead of having to run to the store for new batteries.

Easy. :twothumbs

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I get it, I plan on just running plain AA Duracells in it
Bad idea, unless you're planning to never run it at maximum power.

Being designed to run off of these
Actually, it isn't. It's designed to run off NiMH and LiIon rechargeables. The fact that it's compatible with alkalines too makes it handy in an emergency, but alkalines are not its intended food. :p

(Understand I'm trying to stay away from getting into recharagables)
That's not a smart thing to do. Why do you want to stay away from them?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'll just stick with AA's since I can get a fairly decent amount of them so it wouldn't be that bad on my wallet...

On the contrary, running lights with rechargeables are easier on the wallet. Your upfront costs are higher but you'll recoup the costs (for a single AA) after a couple of packages of throwaways. You're also dumping less into our landfills. You'll also get a more consistent output over each charge cycle. And so on...

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stay away from rechargeables?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree. Rechargeables will give better performance and will cost you less in the long run. I think they are worth a try. Good luck.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the rechargables.

It will be cheaper in the long run.
You'll get better performance.
Something less that get's tossed away at a landfill and strains the environment.
And there are plenty of other AA-application you can use your rechargables on.

Albinoni

Banned
The Nitecore does not come with any batteries.

Scopionboy,

Nickel Metal Hydride batteries are safe, available at your local Target, Walmart, etc. with a charger for cheap, and provide better performance by far than alkalines. When you need fresh batteries, you just pop them in the charger, instead of having to run to the store for new batteries.

Easy. :twothumbs

Wow does not come with any batts and yet again the cost is almost $80

Khaytsus

Enlightened
The DI will work on Alkalines, but Alks have high internal resistance and therefore at any high level output they're wasting more energy in heat than they're outputting.

A 2 pack of rechargables and a charger will put you back $15. The only complication is that many chargers assume equally discharged cells (ie: they don't charge per-cell).

If you insist on non-rechargables, I'd suggest finding a good deal on Lithium AA's (Energizer, L91). They are a lot lighter than an alkaline (or typical NiMH) and have excellent runtime. They are more expensive, but they'll last about forever and again, much lighter.

I have lots of AA rechargables around, so that's what I'll be using in my DI. UPS says it's on the truck, so I should have it after work. :)

Scorpionboy

Newly Enlightened
Alot of favoritism towards rechargables here... the reason I want to stay away from them... I really don't have one, I'm a simple kind of person, if anyone understands where that can relate to the whole rechargable thing. I'm not unopen to the idea, I just like the simple fact of saying hey that battery is dead, lemme grab another one and be on my way, rather than charging it... although I may grab some rechargable AA's up if running NiMH would be better.. Good idea?

Now.. The best buy site has these three chargers... all come with four batteries.. which one would be best?

1 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=rechargable+AA&type=product&id=1138084368834 This ones a little more expensive, but it says it charges in 15 minutes... rubbish? Or is it worth a look.

2 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=rechargable+AA&type=product&id=1118841173566 Being Duracell, I'd assume this would be ok, yey? Ney?

3 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=rechargable+AA&type=product&id=1066095853260 Worth a look?

While I'm not limiting myself to those three choices, because I know there are probably many more options online, I'd like to get one of those, just because I can get them from a store near me.

Steven

BigD64

Enlightened
I'd grab some Sanyo Eneloops. Circuit City had an 8 pack for about 15 bucks last time I checked they are marked 27 bucks but will ring up 1/2 price. Eneloops are a slow discharge battery and can be stored charged a long time.

kilgor

Enlightened
Alot of favoritism towards rechargables here... the reason I want to stay away from them... I really don't have one, I'm a simple kind of person, if anyone understands where that can relate to the whole rechargable thing. I'm not unopen to the idea, I just like the simple fact of saying hey that battery is dead, lemme grab another one and be on my way, rather than charging it... although I may grab some rechargable AA's up if running NiMH would be better.. Good idea?

Now.. The best buy site has these three chargers... all come with four batteries.. which one would be best?

1 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=rechargable+AA&type=product&id=1138084368834 This ones a little more expensive, but it says it charges in 15 minutes... rubbish? Or is it worth a look.

2 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=rechargable+AA&type=product&id=1118841173566 Being Duracell, I'd assume this would be ok, yey? Ney?

3 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=rechargable+AA&type=product&id=1066095853260 Worth a look?

While I'm not limiting myself to those three choices, because I know there are probably many more options online, I'd like to get one of those, just because I can get them from a store near me.

Steven

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sany...sem/rpsm/oid/159049/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

and

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sany...sem/rpsm/oid/159047/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do