Tektite flashlights on The Discovery Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just saw the program "How It's Made" on The Discovery Channel, and one of the segments showed how flashlights were made. Not just any old flashlights, but Tektite flashlights! :thumbsup:

They only showed how their LED flashlights were constructed (both plastic and metal barrel ones), not incandescent.

cv3po

Banned
There are two different episodes on at 7 and 7:30 pm (eastern time) this evening. Neither one lists flashlights on the "info" but they never list everything so it could be on one of these. I hope it's the 7:00 episode, the Red Wings play at 7:30! :twothumbs

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The only information I have on the episode is this:

howmade.gif

As you can see, it's Episode 42.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap! I saw that episode, but had to go back to work after he frozen fish..... I just missed the flashlight portion.

Dang it!!! :eek:oo:

MSax

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that one last year, and recorded it on my DVD recorder. Neat to see. I wish John Ratsenberger would tour a flashlight factory on his show "Made in America" That would be really cool.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to kramer5150 --

Thank You for that link !

:twothumbs

:goodjob:
_

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the video link, too; It's been a problem figuring out when the episode next airs, and getting it up on our website...

...And yes, we hand solder every LED to ensure correct placement and aim. As you can see, we also hand assemble each one. The aluminum light is an Expedition LS4, currently running a P4 @ 200 lumens.

If you are going to be in the Trenton, NJ area, feel free to call ahead for a tour; we're not making every product, every day, but you can see what's on the menu if you visit. :)

If you want to see some fun testing, check out our "Tank test" on youtube>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vf09Lolfwk&eurl=http://www.tek-tite.com/info/news.php

Scott

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I saw this a year ago as well, very cool. I've always wished they would do LED's -themselves- though on How It's Made ever since seeing that episode. Maybe they could take a trip out to one of Cree's factories...

Burgess

Flashaholic
:lolsign: ___ :crackup:

(like the old cartoons, which show a log entering one end of a machine, and a single toothpick exits the other end)

:D
_

Scott@Tektite

Newly Enlightened
Seems really wasteful that most of the bar stock is cut away and end up in trash. :(

Well, as an environmentally concerned company (see link to our policy below), we would NOT throw away all that aluminum, especially at today's prices!! We have a scrap company come by whenever the scrap bin is full. The extra money goes into the company coffee/snack fund, and the scrap goes into new aluminum.

The same thing happens with most of our plastic scrap, too, except we re-use most of it in-house for molding other items.

For a business our size, we have a very low trash stream, less than 1 cubic yard a week.

http://www.tek-tite.com/home/usa.php

Status
Not open for further replies.