Blaster II Flickering Recurrence

milwaukeeblues

Newly Enlightened
This seems to be the same problem I had before sending the light back to Wayne for repair. He returned it fixed, but the problem has recurred without any known precipitating event.

Wayne, can you tell me how you repaired it the first time, maybe I can use the same procedure.

Thank you,

-Peter

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
milwaukeeblues said:
This seems to be the same problem I had before sending the light back to Wayne for repair. He returned it fixed, but the problem has recurred without any known precipitating event.

Wayne, can you tell me how you repaired it the first time, maybe I can use the same procedure.

Thank you,

-Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter,

I'm not sure what I did to fix yours. Some I just tightened down the screw. What I do now is put a small brass washer on every flashlight, on the ground side, which solves the problem. I don't know if I did that on yours or not. If not, add a tiny brass washer to the screw, and that should fix it. If it still flickers, it may be in the tail cap area. I did have one flashlight with a defective resistor. If all else fails, return it and I'll take a look at it (again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif ).

Wayne j

milwaukeeblues

Newly Enlightened
Wayne, here's what I tried so far:

1. There already was a brass washer. I tightened both screws on the emitter board as much as I felt was safe (which was not very much.) Flickering continued.

2. Removed tailcap and the tailcap O-ring. I cleaned all the bare metal surfaces of the tail and tailcap (not the gold anodized areas) with radio shack cleaner/degreaser. Then put a light film of radio shack lube gel on O-ring and reassembled. Unfortunately this did not help either.

3. Tried a thin aluminum foil collar between the bare metal surfaces of the tail and tailcap. I thought this might fill any gaps between the conductive surfaces, but this did not help either.

Any other ideas? should I send it back again? Also I am wondering if you might consider exchanging it for another unit, same model (but not black please, another gold or green would be fine.)

The reason for this last request is that I want to have confidence that the Blaster will be my dependable, long-runtime emergency bright flashlight (in NYC!). I have some great shorter run 5-W lights from Charlie and Lambda, but I also want that dependable 12 hours. It is kind of scary to think it might not be there.

Thanks Wayne,

-Peter