Who is (or planning to) order the Tiablo MA6?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the new Tiablo MA6 is shipping to its dealers. Batteryjunction already has them. I am sure that the others will quickly have them as well, if they do not all ready.

I just ordered one. I liked my Tiablo A8Q5, but it was a little big for daily carry. The MA6 looked like the perfect size for that.

I just thought I would ask who else is getting one and why/why not?

Here is a link to information about it if you have not seen it yet.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=172719

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not me. Long before it was released, Tiablo had a picture of a model of the original A6 - that one looked awesome ... I unfortunately don't have a copy of the picture but it looked great and I frequently checked back to their site waiting for the launch. Late this summer, they removed reference to it on their website and later launched a different A6. I really wanted the original design. The new one is ok, but doesn't seem to be all that special. Need something unique to excite me nowadays.

I remember on the b/s/t notice on the A1 launch, several other people asked about the original A6.

Zenster

Enlightened
While the Deree CL1H is significantly smaller than it's bigger DBS brother, I don't see much of a size advantage with the MA6 over the A8/A9.
That, with the fact that the MA6 won't take 18650 batteries means that I'll pass on this one.

That's a shame, too, because I think the build quality of my A9s is among the best and was looking forward to what the final version of the MA6 would be.
For me, this was a Tiablo "swing and miss".

magic_elf

Banned
Am I missing something?
Whats the big deal about not being able to take 18650 cells?

SureFire lights can't take 18650 cells either...

Zenster

Enlightened
Am I missing something?

Which is why Surefire lights are in a very small minority in my collection.
I consider CR123 exclusive-use lights like the Surefires to be emergency lights only for when I can't recharge the rechargeables.
For that reason, the Surefires sit in a drawer unused for the most part unless the house power goes down.
My best scenario is to buy lights that are optimized best for use with 18650's, but can also use CR123's during power out situations.

But to answer the question with regard to the MA6...

Considering how large the MA6 is, it doesn't make sense that it can only use the smaller capacity 17670. With the A8 being 155mm long and the MA6 being 149mm long, what's the point of making the MA6 at all?
The MA6 isn't even 1/4" shorter than the A8, it uses a head that still makes it too big to pocket carry, and it uses the smaller battery.
That makes no sense to me at all. Once a person compares the specs of the MA6 to the A8 or A9, I would think one of the two (A8,A9) would make a more sensible choice considering how much more performance you get from a light that's less than 1/4" longer.

Even if the 17650 battery works fine for runtime in the MA6, I personally like to standardize the batteries I use, and I have chosen the high capacity 18650 as the best choice for long runtimes in the lights that use it.
What was the point of making a light that uses an 1800mah battery when for a miniscule addition in bore diameter, it could have been made to use the 18650's which can be had up to 2600mah?

Trust me, I'm not knocking the Tiablo company because I have their A9s light and I have still not found another light as well made in it's class.
The build and finish quality of the A9s is superb, and I hope the company continues to do well and introduce new products while supporting it's existing products with upgrades.
It's just that I don't what they had in mind with the MA6. It's simply a light that didn't have to be made. They could have offered the A8 and/or A9 with a smaller (pocketable) head, put a clip on it, and had a light that made more sense.

Hope that helps answer the question.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woodrow, how I wish you'd looked at the marketplace before ordering :hairpull:

I'm stuck with one coming to me, shiped on the 15th, that I want to get rid of. I'm selling it on the marketplace for ~$10 off w/ shipping.

PayBack

Enlightened
Not.

Pretty much for the same reasons as Zenster. No 18650 option which makes little sense for a light of that size. I have two lights that use both 18650s or 2x A123s and that's a great setup (one being an A8 which I use all the time). I do not want to add yet another battery type and charger.

I have a lot of lights that use only 123s but are not regular use lights. 18650's for regular use, 123s for backup. Not being able to use bother is why I didn't get a DBS either. Being 18650 only it would have had to out throw my A8 by a greater margin. (no I don't want to have to swap modules as well as batteries :p)

Though at least it doesn't have a damn crenelated ninja assassin hit-man marine in Iraq crenelated bezel!

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I missing something?

Of course they can't, then they wouldn't be able to sell so many of their batteries. :p "Only use SF batteries!"

After paying for a Tiablo A1 which they claimed to be 100lumens, only to find out it's more like 40 lumens, I think I'll be avoiding Tiablo for awhile, until I see enough feedback about their products to know what the whole story is.

Tiablo admitted to dropping the current of the A1 to increase run time, yet they never adjusted their specs to reflect the drop in current.

Hopefully they will be more accurate with their specs in the future. I'll look forward to the reviews on the MA6.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woodrow, how I wish you'd looked at the marketplace before ordering :hairpull:

I'm stuck with one coming to me, shiped on the 15th, that I want to get rid of. I'm selling it on the marketplace for ~$10 off w/ shipping.

Sorry, I thought you saying would get your light by the 20th... I wanted it quicker. I really do not think you will have a hard time selling it once people post some reviews... I guess we will have to wait and see.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I missing something?

Quilt free lumen:) I have been using SF L4 with 17670 for years. Besides, 17670 works great with P6 with latest P6 drop-in such as those from Dereelight, WE ... etc.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not.

I have a lot of lights that use only 123s but are not regular use lights. 18650's for regular use, 123s for backup. Not being able to use bother is why I didn't get a DBS either.

DBS with SD driver does support 18650.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quilt free lumen:) I have been using SF L4 with 17670 for years. Besides, 17670 works great with P6 with latest P6 drop-in such as those from Dereelight, WE ... etc.

Alan

Oops... I thought I posted too fast. It seems 17670 is not welcome either. I agree that standardize battery size is much convenient especially when multiple lights are carried as most cpf member do:)

Alan

USM0083

Enlightened
wow i thought no one else would bring that up, why are there THREE screws?! can't just have one big one?

and it looks too plain, the hunt for an edc goes on

With one screw, the clip would rotate, since it does not appear to have any way to index into the body.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I thought you saying would get your light by the 20th... I wanted it quicker. I really do not think you will have a hard time selling it once people post some reviews... I guess we will have to wait and see.

Spoken like a true CPFer :)

guess I'l wait and see... it was shipped on the 15th, so I should be able to post photos soon.