Cabela's and Bass Pro light suggestions, please.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'll be visiting my best friend next weekend. Since he's going to miss my Birthday this Saturday, he's agreed to take me to any place I want to go when I visit him.

Guess which places I chose. :D

But I need ideas! Which lights should I buy when I get there, and why?

Suggestions for lights at both places would be appreciated. It's very rare for me to go to Cabela's. And I've never been inside a Bass Pro shop. Also, I know both places have websites. But that's too easy and lacks any personal suggestions. I'll likely have about $300 on me.

Help me indulge my horrible addiction to lights! :twothumbs

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at Cabela's "Bargain Cave" 1st when you get to Cabela's, they always have at least a couple of recently returned SureFires that have a nice chunk of change knocked off them.
I recently bought a Aviator 4 flat sided for $130 and a Kroma for $200 there.

dilbert

Enlightened
Between the fishing departments and the flashlight departments I'd have to call my 12 step sponsor. Man I love those stores.

+1 on checking out the bargain cave at Cabelas.

Dantor

Enlightened
I haven't had the best dealings with bps online! (never again) but Cabela's! you'll be in "I want this, I want that heaven :D

K9-Handler

Newly Enlightened
While we're on the topic, does anyone know who makes the "XPG" series of lights for Cabela's?
I know there isn't a Cabela's Flashlight Factory in the midwest someplace...:shakehead

I just picked up a 4 X 123 light that's definitly bright and well-built.

Just wondering about modding it in the future.

TJx

Newly Enlightened
While we're on the topic, does anyone know who makes the "XPG" series of lights for Cabela's?
I know there isn't a Cabela's Flashlight Factory in the midwest someplace...:shakehead

I just picked up a 4 X 123 light that's definitly bright and well-built.

Just wondering about modding it in the future.

I was told by the guy behind the flashlight counter that their Alaskan Guide light was made by SureFire. I did a little research on these forums and the best I can come up with is they are made by G & P (of China). So my guess is G & P.

DieselTech

Enlightened
Well, what lights do you want? I've never been to a Cabelas, but the Bass Pro here carries most of the Surefire line. I actually bought my first SF there, a C3.

No matter what you decide, be sure to post some pictures of the new light(s) when you get back. :thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... So my guess is G & P.

The XPG series are definitely G&P models. I bought a couple of them the last time I was in Cabela's. (Should have bought something else). Other than the R500 Scorpion, I haven't heard many good things about G&P lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, what lights do you want? I've never been to a Cabelas, but the Bass Pro here carries most of the Surefire line. I actually bought my first SF there, a C3.

No matter what you decide, be sure to post some pictures of the new light(s) when you get back. :thumbsup:

I'm just looking for good, all-around suggestions, based on what others have found while visiting both places. Although I must admit to having more 2xCR123 lights than any other type. Enough to last several people a few Lifetimes. :D

If anyone knows of a light that comes close to the output of a SF M6, from either place, please post! But keep the other great suggestions coming too.

BTW, when I come back from the trip, I'll definitely be posting pics.

Last edited:

DieselTech

Enlightened
If anyone knows of a light that comes close to the output of a SF M6, from either place, please post! But keep the other great suggestions coming too.

The Bass Pro here actually carries the M6...:whistle: A great way to commemorate such a great trip would be a great light...or a great way to make up for a not so great trip is a great light...Buy the M6. You know you want to.:devil::poke:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... Buy the M6. You know you want to.:devil::poke:

You're right.... And that's what I did today! :twothumbs

A bit of background info:

I returned a KL5 head to a B&M shop, after realizing that an L5 light was awfully close to the price of the head. Ended up with store credit for over $150. Went to the B&M shop today, intending to get a 9P or possibly an M4. The M4 was $330.... The M6 was $349. I couldn't help myself! Took some Christmas money I got awhile back, used the store credit, and that was it!

But that's not the end of this thread! I still plan on spending more money at Cabela's and Bass Pro. (It's okay.... It has literally been months since I bought a single light). Ended up with an M6 on my Birthday! W00t!!

Keep those suggestions coming! :thanks:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Having continued problems with my camera-phone. Sorry for the long wait. Got a couple of pics of what I picked up from Brass Pro. (Didn't get anything from Cabela's this time around. Just how it goes sometimes).

Had a chance to get a MagCharger and a Streamlight TL-2 (Xenon) model. But there's a B&M shop in Manhattan that sells both.

Ended up with the following:

1 - Streamlight Sidewinder in Olive drab.
2 - Gerber Shortcut folding scissors / multi-tool.
3 - Maglite basket-weave D-cell ring.
4 - Boker Subcom knife.

The SL Sidewinder is incredibly versatile! How good is it?.... If I was being shipped off to war, I'd bring it with me.

Having problems with rust on each Leatherman Micra I've owned so far. Got the Gerber in case my latest Micra decides to do the same. Not as well-made as the Micra. But if it doesn't rust, it'll be worth it.

The ring is nothing new or exciting. But I did get it at a lower price than expected.

The Subcom is a knife I've wanted for a long time. Not very expensive at all, but a bit hard to find. Designed by Chad Los Banos, both a gentle man and a tough-as-nails Corrections officer; this little knife performs like a bigger knife would.... I was fortunate enough to get these pics downloaded during a moment when my cellphone forgot to malfunction.

Left side of Boker Subcom. With a quarter for comparison:
sc2pp7.jpg

Right side of Subcom. With a better comparison of a quarter:
sc1dg4.jpg