ARC LS Mod help

Utik

Newly Enlightened
I have an ARC LS that I would like to update. A couple years ago, I upgraded the LED to what was at the time a nice Lux III and a reflector. I got a very nice improvement in output.

I should point out that I am not an electronics expert. I have a very basic understanding of electronics and understand the basic function of some of the simpler electronic components like resistors but I get over my head pretty quickly in some of the discussions on this board.

My light still works, but when I upgraded my LED I accidentally cracked the top of what I think is the inductor. I am talking about the component with the 3 red dots on it. You can see this in the picture below. Is this a problem? If so, can I change this component out? Are they available? Is so, where?
ARCLSBoard001.jpg

In addition, I would like to upgrade the LED again and would also like to take advantage of some of the multi-mode features in some of the more modern lights.

I am aware of boards like the FLuPIC. My understanding is that the FLuPIC will only work in an environment where the input voltage is above the LED Vf. This means that it will work with rechargeable lithium batteries but not with a single lithium primary or with 2 AA rechargeable. Is my thinking right here?

I have a 2 AA battery tube and would like to be able to use it. I would also like the light to be able to use primary and rechargeable 123 batteries.

I think this means that I need some type of buck/boost circuit. This raises it's own set of problems. Is it possible to put together this type of circuit and still have it fit in this light? A board like the Wizard from the Sandwich Shoppe sounds like what I need. But this board is much smaller in diameter than the ARC LS body. In addition, don't I need a separate board to mount the LED to? Could I somehow find a 19MM board that I could mount the LED to and combine this with a Wizard in a stack somehow and still be thin enough for it to fit in the light? Are there any buck/boost type boards that would fit in the ARC and allow the LED to mount directly to them?

I know I am asking a lot of questions. I wish I could simply figure this all out on my own. You have no idea how much respect I have for those of you who can simply go into your shop and pop out with a custom sandwich and a threaded heat sink to mount this. Alas, I have no where near that level of skill. I sure have fun messing around with this stuff though.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Look for threads started by bombelman, chimo, and mosport (in alphabetical order) for what the latest and greatest LS mods have been.