Underwater Kinetics 2AAA Mini Light Battery Problem

nnasir

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

After searching the site for help, I've decided to make my first post. :grin2:

I have an Underwater Kinetics 2AAA eLED Mini Light (the batteries are side-by-side) and am experiencing a problem with batteries (Druacell alkaline) being damaged in it.

The cell that is under the light assembly is being damaged in that it first shows some crimping in the case. Continued use results in the case of the cell being deformed with the battery taking on an elongated look. I usually throw away the batteries by then rather than waiting to see what will happen next.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it related to heat from the LED? Or a short of some sort? Please note that the light works thru' all of this.

Thanks,
Nas.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Got any pics?

Those UK eLeds run the LED at very low current, so it can't be the heat from the LED. Or I'll be really surprised if it turns out to be the case. Likewise for shorting, the light probably wouldn't work and it would probably damage both cells. If I understood correctly, only the cell that is under the head of the light gets damaged, right?

If that is the case, my guess is that screwing the head down on the battery is the cause. There's a reason some people call twisty lights "cell crushers". When the light turns on, do you stop twisting the head or keep going a for a bit just for good measure?

OceanView

Enlightened
There's a reason some people call twisty lights "cell crushers".
Sounds like a reasonable guess, although the OP's comment about the cell looking "elongated" seems counter to the cell crushing theory since that would tend to "squash" the cell.

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
nnasir,
Are you using the light while diving?
If so, the body could be pressing against the cell under water pressure.

DK

electrothump

Enlightened
I used a UK 2AAA incan for several years as my edc pocket light. The only problem I ever had was with the little copper conductor at case opening. Ever so often it would oxidize, and lose contact. Snapping it out, cleaning it, and re-installing it always fixed the problem. I never saw any battery come looking any different that when it went in.

DN

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't tighten down the head more than you need to when you turn on the light. I mean you don't have to be ultra gentle and careful, there's just no need to crank it with a lot of force. That's the only way to crush batteries that I know of.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Sounds like a reasonable guess, although the OP's comment about the cell looking "elongated" seems counter to the cell crushing theory since that would tend to "squash" the cell.

Good point, I missed that somehow. Still, the cell getting squashed is the only thing I can think of.

nnasir

Newly Enlightened
Am getting the idea about what you're talking about. I don't screw down on the cap more than necessary, but I think that it is the cap that's causing the battery to deform.

Might it be that the cantilever contact at the bottom is bent, thus the need to screw fairly hard down on the cap to make contact?