texas hold em question/rant

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
First the purpose of this is me asking all of you if you would happen to know a site where i can find exact holdem rules, i found this somewhere else

"Cards Speak"
In holdem there is the idea that "Cards Speak", which means that no matter what you say when you flip over your hand, you actually have the best possible combination of five cards. For example, a common miscall would be if you pocket cards and the board looked like...

Your Hand "A" of spades "K" of spades

The five community cards are:"5" diamonds; "6" diamonds; "A" hearts; queen clubs "6" spades

...and you flipped your cards and said "I've got a pair of aces", you wouldn't be held to it. You actually would have two pair, aces and sixes. That would be your hand, despite your blunder.

My point is i was playing last week everyone had folded except for me and the other guy, we betted it up pretty good, layed the cards down i had two pair he had flush to the 8, i was so focused on my hand which was my fault i did not notice that i had flush to the 10, although i won, since i called two pair and did not call flush to the 10 he took the chips, $20 something woth, i did not know about this card speak, and that most casions use that

Last edited:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was speaking to a friend earlier today and thats what he said to do too,

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
also can someone refer me to a good book reguarding hold em

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
although i won, since i called two pair and did not call flush to the 10 he took the chips, $20 something woth, i did not know about this card speak, and that most casions use that

I wouldn't play poker with people like that. Ever game I've played in cards speak. If i say i have a pair but really have a flush, I play the flush.

However it should be noted it is considered very rude to call your hand and then flip over something else. If your ever not sure what you have, just flip your cards when the hand is over.

edit: I liked 'super system' and 'super system 2' go to your local libary and read up on it. there are many decent books.

jugg2

Enlightened
My great uncle says when he used to play "cut throat" poker, whatever you claimed was what you had, even if there was the posibility of a higher ranking hand.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the most important thing is that everyone understands the rules going in. When I played with the same group of guys for a few years we had our rules writtne down and said that we'd always defer to Roberts for anything that wasn't covered. That way there was very little conflict.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, we've always played 'Cards speak'.

The only problem comes with the lateness of the hour or the amount of beer/wine that has flowed.

We've managed to avoid personal injury so far.

Rules of the house upfront works very well, too.

I hate slow rollers!

Be lucky...