Reflector specing question

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did my first lux1 to cree q5 mod. However, the beam patter was unacceptable and too floody.

Changing the relector seems impossible for a proprietary head lamp. So, can I avoid this by going with a Seoul next time? How about a P4 Cree?

Also, any member got a seoul star and buck controller for 4-6 volts for sale?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did my first lux1 to cree q5 mod. However, the beam patter was unacceptable and too floody.

Changing the relector seems impossible for a proprietary head lamp. So, can I avoid this by going with a Seoul next time? How about a P4 Cree?

Also, any member got a seoul star and buck controller for 4-6 volts for sale?

Lux reflector will not work with Cree XRE. I replaced an old LuxIII with SSC P4 its perfect...the downside is you have to wait for V-bin SSC for the latest and brightest since R2 wont work in current reflector...

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to get you right, A p4 ssc will work in the reflector?

And this is signigicantly more efficient/bright than a lux 1 or 3? Anyone selling them that takes money orders?

How much more efficient/bright is the v bin than p4 ssc? If not a whole lot, why wait?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done some headlamp mod/upgrades using CreeXREs and Cree Optics. They snap right on top of the emitter and stay on firmly, although you could probably add glue for added security.

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1603

Many people have used the Cree Optic and like its output beam. Elektrolumens uses it in his Lucidus line of flashlights and Malkoff Devices uses it in their M60 Surefire drop-in.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is this is a headlamp where lens, collar and current reflector are one piece.

I am guessing I would need hotglue, build my own metal collar around reflector, then glue some milar for a lens. Perhaps, I'm wrong, I hope.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still don't get how to modify a light and choose a reflector. It seems to me I would need hundreds of reflector sizes to choose from, since all light housings are different. You need first a reflector to fit type of light, then comes the angle, then overall size to actually fit the light housing. All I see so far is one or two reflectors for sale.

Then does a lux 3 use same as lux 1?