1W luxeon bright enough?

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
I have two applications that I am considering converting over to LEDs. The first is a 3D Mag that I use alkaline batteries and a 4v 0.85A halogen bulb. Will a 1W LED be comprable in brightness?

The second is a headlamp that uses a 6v 4AH SLA battery. I use a 5.2v 0.85A HPR50 halogen bulb. How will a 1W or 5W compare.

Both of these lights have focusing heads, will the LEDS still be able to keep this feature. And my last question, does anyone make a 5W that is plug and play like the EverLED?

I've never seen a Luxeon before so I have no Idea how bright they are, I just ordered a inretech AA adapter but have not received it yet. Hopefully it will make my minimag shine.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello DHCrocks,

Welcome.

I can only comment on the 1W LED. I have an Electrolumens Blaster II and have nothing but good things to say about it. Use the search engine and look up Blaster II. There might even be some beam shots to compare the LED to the Mag Lite.

Good Luck.

Tom

B@rt

Flashaholic
In this thread <font color="orange"> ab </font> has put up a nice comparision pic between a Luxeon and a M*g. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
ab-mag2c-lux-30mm-4.jpg

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1 Watt Luxeon Star can vary in whitness and brightness.

I have many 1 watt LS's. I have a CMG Reactor and a Mr. bulk LGI, and the LGI is awesome in it's light output, and whitness, wereas, the CMG Reactor is dim, and puke green in color.

So, just asking about a 1 watt LS is not enough. You are going to need the specifc bin rating, and then need to heat sink it, etc.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
Not all luxeon's are created equal!

I just recieved a Blaster II and would strongly recomend it. It has quite a good throw and a nice white, bright light with good battery life. (It is a 3-D form factor though so its pretty big). There are some 5-watters as well if your interested.

Electro Lumens/ blaster's

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
Thanks B@rt thats a pretty impresive pic, just what I was looking for.

flashlightDR what are the options for the 5W, any out there that can be easily moded to an existing light, I'm new to this all the power supply and heatsink stuff is pretty intimidating. I've build a few lights with 5mm leds over driving them upto 50ma and that was prettty fun, but I would hate to blow one of those luxeons.