Why are there more Surefires for sells then Fenix?

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed there are way more people selling there Surefire flashlights then Fenix lights, why is this? Which of the two are better for example does Surefire have lights that can compete with Fenix's T1? Can someone clear it up for me? I see Surefire being sold alot of places but I can seen to find one store that carries any Fenix brand lights, I've never had any Surefire lights but thats partly due to the the my first LED lights of a Fenix so I stuck with them.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would gather that a good lot of SF types are collectors who turn lights in order to justify the purchase of additional ones.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I have at the current count:

6 E1 style bodies (with two dedicated for beta testing of stuff)
2 E2 style bodies (with one dedicated for beta testing of stuff)
6 6P style bodies (with two dedicated for beta testing)
2 Nitrolon style bodies (one dedicated for beta testing)
1 9Z
1 3P
1 Kroma
1 L1 Cree
an inbound 8X
and a boatload of various heads.

All work.

Once I'm in the mood for a different flashlight, I'll flush some out to bring others in.

-Steve

BillG

Newly Enlightened
would it be fair to say that surefires are beauty queens.....while fenix is a workhorse?

i myself buy lights, to use them. i dont have 18 hammers on a shelf to look at and admire. :)

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Hehe - none of my lights are really shelf queens. Most are in bug out bags, tool boxes, drag bags, truck lights, on gun mounts, and in my pockets.

-Steve

would it be fair to say that surefires are beauty queens.....while fenix is a workhorse?

i myself buy lights, to use them. i dont have 18 hammers on a shelf to look at and admire. :)

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm just guessing here but wouldn't it be because there are probably many, many, MANY times more Surefires around than Fenixes?

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
here we go......:popcorn:

You're right... Sorry for doing that!

To the OP, Fenix is as of now still quite a younger and smaller operation than Surefire, which has made several military contracts and has since built up quite a notoriety on the market with law enforcement and professionals in different countries. It's mostly known to cpf'ers but not much outside.
Because of that, and the fact that Surefire recently received multiple investments, they have a much larger production scale and are able to provide a lot more distributors than Fenix.
Who knows, perhaps in a few years, Fenix will become as known as Surefire, who knows, they might grow as large and influential...
I hope that helps a bit.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
No need to apologise Kongfuchicken, not to me anyway. I love these threads because of the passion people have for their lights, it makes me think that the respective owners must both be really happy with their purchases. :)

But I think you are right, sheer production, would expect there to be many more Surefires for B/S/T. Not only that, but this forum is for flashlight purists who have no doubt been loving surefires for a long time and no doubt own many of them.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be because alot of members sell off current lights that don't get alot of use so that they can fund future purchases. Since most Surefire models are rather expensive they might be the first ones to go.
Who knows.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
possibly because one would not get a good amount for older Fenix, while there is still the excellent machinig of the SF.
Even better the OLDER ones are better for modding, because they lack those unnecessary flat parts on the body sides and thus can be better/easier machined for 18650s.

in original state, there is no SF light that can compete with a stock Fenix in brightness and in diversity (say: multilevel)
... they severely lack in technique and have to be modded with inserts and such, to be brought into this century.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
I have at the current count:

6 E1 style bodies (with two dedicated for beta testing of stuff)
2 E2 style bodies (with one dedicated for beta testing of stuff)
6 6P style bodies (with two dedicated for beta testing)
2 Nitrolon style bodies (one dedicated for beta testing)
1 9Z
1 3P
1 Kroma
1 L1 Cree
an inbound 8X
and a boatload of various heads.

All work.

Once I'm in the mood for a different flashlight, I'll flush some out to bring others in.

-Steve
Hey steve
When you decide you have too many E1's drop me a line, i would certainly be interested. :grin2:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:
here we go again indeed.
is it not correct? :thinking:
why alle those numberous treads of ppl asking why the led models are not brighter than the halogen ones? (or at least as bright?)

actually I have only my 9N not modded to led, simply because its not possible easily.
Dont feel the need to use a stock 6P, 8X, ..., after modding them - or even using the 9N

PS: do You own both (normal SF in stock setup (or other "normal" halogens) and a good actual multilevel led light) to be able to compare the packages?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Don't forget Sportsman's Warehouse recently had a 50% off sale on some of their SFs. A handful of CPFers recognized the DEAL & picked up quite a few to share with the members. If you look through the sale posts, a LOT of those recent SFs for sale are from the SW sale.

Additionally, SF introduced the Cree to some of their models & I suspect many are "upgrading".

Last edited:

Numbers

Enlightened
I think it might be because there is more demand for SF. The seller can get a significant portion of their original investment back when they sell, and the buyer gets a price break (and the warranty that goes with the light).
I dont believe that there is the same resale market for most other brands in part because many of those other lights are sold to people simply wanting the latest and brightest around. It's kind of like a light of the month and then move on, this does not make for a good resale market.

Additionally there are so many other than SF brands that compete with eachother, I dont think SF has the same number of brands competing in it's market segment. Lump those othe companies together and maybe there are as many Chineese re sales as there are SF's.

To me an old SF many times could be considered a classic -- many other brands are just old.

"not that there is anything wrong with it" To each his own.

AAAGH, Stopping now the more I think about it the answer is self evident.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure-Fires, like Toyota's and well made guns, retain there value...I've considered selling one or two of My G-2's just to get that little bit of extra cash...only to buy a better Surefire!!! :p

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that Surefires retain their value, you can always sell it at a good price even after years. People don't sell Fenix or other cheaper flashlights because they loose on value too fast, it's usually not worth the effort to sell it if you get only little cash for it (most people rather keep it in the shelf).