New SureFire KL1 Design

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
When did this design change occur? I'm surprise no one else has mentioned this. I can't be the 1st one to find this.

kl-1.jpg

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

this_is_nascar,

This is the first time I've seen this!

Dan.

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

I actually like the original design better, I think.

Dan.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm not yet decided whether I like it or not. It certainly would have its uses, setting it down on the bezel end. I'm fearful of the exposure to the lens when carrying loose in your pocket.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like it! if you look at the 2003 catalogue, the pics of the KL4 and up have this bezel design.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this design was mentioned before...but i'm not sure. I heard that it was designed to prevent accidental battery depletion. Most times, a light is resting on a surface on its bezel, with the normal design, it's common to accidentally leave the light on and not even know it.

I may be wrong about this...but this is what i heard.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i like it, but would like it much more if they would modify those goofy rings...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, but they look goofy...

a simple redesign could improve the looks and the thermal transmission.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i don't like the way those look either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

they look ok in themselves, but i dont' think they match the lights very well.

i'm not trying to critisize or anyting, i just think they could match the overall *look* of the light better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
How I wish they would not do half the machining on their parts. Simpler = cheaper. Some of the surface features seem like worthless decoration.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I agree about some of the designs that SF produce seem to have so much embellishment simply to be 'different' from the opposition. In the Case of the E1e & E2e does the knurling have to be that pronounced? Is it necessary for the body of the light to have so much machining on it? The KL1 whilst a fantastic piece of kit has all those cooling fins, but,are they necessary or could there be a better simpler way of dissipating heat?

Before any one says anything I would point out that I actually love my 2x E2e's and the KL1 I own but i think that they could have been more cheaply and simply designed and still have been just as good! Anyone disagree?

Doug

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
I really don't care about the trivial cosmetic changes. Have they improved the bin quality of the Luxeons so I don't have to rip them out and replace them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif