LED drop-in and work light help

Fatalerror

Newly Enlightened
Let me first say I hope I'm in the right section with this post (sorry if I'm not) and that I've really enjoyed lurking around for the past few weeks reading the forums (some really great posts). Came here from RFD.

Currently I've got a standard 3D m@glite and I'm looking for a LED drop-in for it. I use this light for outdoors mostly on camping trips and when I help out at various summer camps. One camp during mid-summer is quite abusive when it comes to flashlights in general. I use it from basically dusk till dawn every night for a week straight so I have a pile of dead batteries by the end so I'm looking for a fully regulated LED with a good throw. I've tried to read as much as I can and I was thinking of getting a TLE-6EXB at first but now I'm not sure if there is better for my needs.

Second, as I'm going to be getting a new bulb I might as well get a proper work/general propose light for myself. I'm a lifeguard/swimming instructor so a waterproof flashlight is a must. I'm not diving with it so a max depth of like 20ft is just fine since that's the most it can drop in the pool. The Fenix L1P looks like exactly what I'm looking for (size/throw/1AA). Some reviews however suggest it as "dunkable" and not waterproof which worries me (since I know my m@g is "dunkable"). Does anyone know for sure or could suggest something else similar?

Thanks for your comments.

PS. I live in Toronto, Canada so if you know of a local place lemme know as I'd love to give them my business than order online.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
UK or Underwater Kinetics makes several lights that are dive rated and rugged. You should be able to find them at most any dive shop. My friends swear by them and I have a couple that I have been quite happy with. Not as fancy looking or max output of some others but you should be able to kick them around and not worry much.

http://www.ukinternational.com/home.php

Flashlightreviews.xom has reviews of several UK lights - Pick Reviews - Main Index all lights and page down toward the bottom -

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Hello Fatalerror
I just recently received a LED drop in for my M*g 3D. I purchased mine from Gene Malkoff at http://www.malkoffdevices.com/main_page/product_info/products_id/15.html
They are a little pricey at $75 but it works beautifully and is much much brighter (no comparison) than the stock bulb. Has a huge throw and amazing spill. I would highly recommend this product to anyone wanting to upgrade their M*gs.
Gene also carries a Quad LED drop in for the M*g as well, this one here is far more pricey http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15&products_id=24
but it is supposed to be unbelieveable. Personally, I would recommend the first one. $75 is expensive, but you will not be disappointed. http://www.malkoffdevices.com

Good luck

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix L1P is now older technology. You can easily double the output by swapping in a current gen LED.

The malkoffdevices is more expensive but it is the brightest and best heatsinked single LED drop-in you can buy.

How much are you willing to spend on either?
Size?
Output?
Batteries?

The Fenix Lights with current gen LEDs are all IPX8 tested, which means they should be waterproof. I'd recommend the L2D-CE Q5/Rebel 100 or the Powerpack.

The Fenix L0D-CE, an single AAA powered light, has more output on high then the Maglite 3D(the Q4 version is even brighter).

:welcome:

Fatalerror

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

It seems as though my work light has been found with the Fenix L0D Q4 (thanks! I had no idea you could get something that bright from a AA). The malkoffdevice does look impressive and I'm really considering it, although I'm wondering if there are any similar products that are cheaper and what their pros/cons are (mostly just with the heatsink or lack thereof causing reduced longevity?). My budget is $100 total but the malkoffdevice seems to really sell itself so I'd be willing to go over budget for it.

Again, thanks for all your replies and help.:)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Actually, a AAA battery, one more "A";). It is a twistie, so it might not be as convenient as a clickie light. Maybe the L2D-CE Q5(or something 1 AA if 2AA is too long) would be a better idea? Of course, the runtime is short on an alkaline battery.

Review(with runtime charts by Chevrofreak):
L2/1D-CE
L0D-CE
P1D-CE
P2D-CE
P3D-CE

The L1D, L2D, and P2D all have the same head, so you can run 1AA, 2AA, or 1 CR123 with the right body.

The lack of heat-sinking would make the LED dimmer and have a shorter life. With the Seoul, the LED would also turn blue(output) as an indication of the LED being too hot.

There are also cheaper lights on Dealextreme, but shipping would take a month and many lights aren't water resistant(look in the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section for lights getting good reviews).

If you feel like modding, you could make something similar to the malkoff at a lower price(fitting heatsink, 1 amp driver, and Seoul P4 LED).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've actually gotten good results with Mag's own LED drop-ins for their lights. In terms of output, not the most powerful LED drop-in out there, obviously. But price and runtime are excellent. I used a 2C Mag w/ MagLED drop-in on a nightly basis at my last job, while patrolling darkened office floors. I had to focus the beam for throw, since you still get rings and a dark spot with the drop-in. But once focused, it performed very well.

It's also nice that you can get the drop-in at Home Depot and Target.