hemispherical cover for a cree

timcharlto

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a hemispherical cover to mount a cree inside of. It needs to be 1" or less in diameter, able to resist occasional bumps (polycarb or tempered glass). Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out trying to find something that will work.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about one of those vending machine toy covers? I know they're not polycarbonate, but they are cheap and available and certainly can 'resist occasional bumps'.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a hemispherical cover to mount a cree inside of. It needs to be 1" or less in diameter, able to resist occasional bumps (polycarb or tempered glass). Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out trying to find something that will work.

Not cheap, but something could be machined in polycarbonate, and finished either clear or frosted (by sanding).

Luce-de-Notte-Brass-2.jpg

dom

Enlightened
Do you want an opaque or clear one? The Osram Sylvania Lantern has an opaque one you could maybe use 19.9mm on the flange 21.4 on the dome.

2241422400_f48dc6f966_o.jpg

Cheers
Dom

timcharlto

Newly Enlightened
I would prefer clear, but at this point I'll take anything that works.
I don't have machining tools to turn one myself. :(
The Osram one, will it hold up with a Cree inside of it? It will be heat sinked by square aluminum tubing (8sq" outside surface area). The environmental temperature ranges will be -6°c to 32°c but most commonly 13.3°c
I looked in surplusshed, didn't see anything but I'll try again when I have more time.

dom

Enlightened
There won't be any problem at 32C with plastic -i just tried it for 1/2hr sitting on a Ostar emitter at 60C.The dome was at 38C.

I just remeasured the dimensions and it is 18.5mm on the flange and the inside diameter is 15mm.

Have a look here as well -might be something :)
http://www.fxsupply.com/products/hemis.html

Cheers
Dom

Last edited: