ProPoly 2AA or Junior or Mitylite+ 2AA?

iddibhai

Enlightened
need to get a few glovebox/shed/emergency lights in the minimag cost/size/performance category, and i dont want to get MM if better options exist! i've narrowed down to the following, all use 2AA, so i hope i can put lithiums for long term storage:

Streamlight ProPolymer 2AA
http://www.brightguy.com/detail.tpl?cart=1048328559406062&sku=STR67001

Streamlight Junior (never heard of that one; bonus points for variable focus)
http://www.brightguy.com/detail.tpl?cart=1048328559406062&sku=STR71001

Pelican Mitylite+ 2AA
http://www.brightguy.com/detail.tpl?cart=10311715972717&sku=PEL2340C_Yel

if you had to chose one for your cars, what'd it be? or pick one of each for each car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

other options? trying to stay <$15, so that precludes LEDs in the AA size (lithium ability)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the princeton tec 20 or the tec 40? The Tec40 is pretty good for $12 plus...

dougmccoy

Enlightened
iddibhai,

I dont know why you have not considerd the MM with an Opalec Newbeam, good quality beam, regulated output, lasts for at least 10 hours on Alkalines and is compact, highly water resistant and very, very, durable. Oh and it can be bought for very little. As a real plus point good quality Alkalines should last 1-2 years possibly more without fear of leakage or deterioration.

Of course the other alternative would be the Propoly 2AA which from personal experience can take an awful lot of abuse really well.

I guess the choice comes down to your preferences and to how cheaply you can obtain these lights. For my money I'd still plump for the MM Opalec myself.

Doug

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i highly recommend the tec 40. it may be brighter than you need, however. it does accept lithiums--that is how i have mine in my car.

the tec20 might be good as well. less batteries. not sure about brightness/runtime.

Bob

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
A tec 40 with lithiums and their 'long burn' bulb would be a good cheap stash light.

Out of the three you listed, I would go with the Pelikan. I have used these lights in the AA and AAA size for better part of 10 years and I have only had to replace one burned out bulb so far. Have broken several pocket clips off though.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I turned my original Propoly 2AA bulb into a flashbulb with lithiums. This is not a good choice. The beam of the light is too tight and not sufficiently bright for my incandescent taste. You may have mine for $13 shipped.

I also didn't particularly care for my minimitylite before I gave it away. Same issues.

I really like my collection of PT40's that have a wide selection of bulbs in them.

iddibhai

Enlightened
Nerd, the Tec20 is a fantastic idea, i must have missed it somehow; it has a flood beam (vs spot for the others listed) so will do nicely for a car use light. So now it's down to PT Tec 20 and SL Junior. I like the Junior because it is focusable and tailcap switch. Anyone have either of those (tec 20 or SL junior) to do beamshots? a MM w/ opalec is out due to cost.. for that kind of money i'd get a SL PP 4AA LED intead and spend the rest on lithiums.

pedalinbob, i'm assuming the runtime on the tec20 and tec40 will be similar, just the latter will be brighter. superbright or superlong run is not an issue at the moment, there will be other lights bought for those needs. right now a small stash light for the cars/shed is what i'm after.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TEC20 can be made reasonably bright using lithium AA's and a .7 to .85 A Xenon or Halogen 2 cell PR bulb. Mine approaches the brightness of an R30 in a 3P.

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif A mini-mag or legend might still be a good option.One day you may want to convert to opalec,inretech or one of the other good mods for these lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif