Those d@*n people in the "other" party!!!

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those d@*n people in the \"other\" party!!!

I see a lot of posts here on the Cafe part of CPF about how horrible the people of that other party are. I gotta tell you, I think politicians from Democrats and Republicans are cut from much of the same cloth.

When the Democrats ruled Congress, they delayed and drug their feet to approve appointees nominated by a Republican president. When Republicans ruled Congress, they did very much the same thing to a Democrat president.

For all too many of our elected officals, it is all about party power and getting re-elected.

Maybe it's from living in Iowa, in the center of the U.S., but I gotta tell you, extreme views from the left or the right don't excite me too much. I'm interested in what works and what is best for people. Many of those ideas are from the center, not the left or the right.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Those d@*n people in the

I agree. It seems to me that like ikendu said, too many of our elected officials (and the people) are more concerned about a party rather than the issues themselves. But I also find it interesting some of the political views expressed here in the cafe, even if I don't agree with them.

-Mike

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are all PolitiCritters and BureauRats to me. I and my kind are usually on the persecuted end of things, simply for being gay (mere existence is automatic guilt). No finer example of this, was Clinton and his quick action to exclude my kind from legal marriage (so-called friend to my kind), then the oh so deceptive don't ask, don't tell policy. Anyone who has been in the military knows that it is rare indeed, to not need a security clearance of at least Confidential (full background check applies). Perfect deception to weed my kind out of the military, once and for all.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

my sister, best friend of 17 years, cousin and several peers are gay. they are GREAT, wonderful people.

my best friend came out to me after we had been friends for over 8 years. he is not "overtly" gay. he was very frightened that i would think he had a thing for me, or react negatively to his orientation. this was not the case: he is an incredible friend, gay or whatever!

matter of fact, in some ways, i think gays are overall more friendly than straight folk. perhaps they are simply happy that im not judging them or giving them a hard time.

i do find that they have a harder time than straight folk.
heck, my friend gets harassed for walking around a local park--cops think he is cruising.

i agree that ANY sexual activity, straight or gay, should be kept discrete. i would be very angry if my children were to stumble upon anyone having sex in a park. however, i very often see men (who are assumed to be gay) being singled out.

they have even harassed me.

oh, well. life goes on...

Bob

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Howard Stern put it best when he stated that the only reason anyone becomes a politician is to become a millionaire while in office.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bob;

Harrased you?? That is called Guilt by Association. A long standing principle throughout the world. Most people don't know that one of the original Vice Presidents, who was that only for a short time (he resigned), was Gay. Most of his fellows (Washington and everyone in those circles of power), knew he was gay and had no problem. I have the info still on my HD somewhere.

To get back on topic a bit, What I dislike, is the Democratic Party Shmoozing gays (for the votes), then turning on them after they are elected. At least the Republican Party is honest in regards to gays: We don't want you, and we believe you should be expunged from the USA.

My dad told me a versatile Epitaph joke, where you insert the occupation of your choice. This is usually told to someone of that occupation.

[Scene]
Two guys in graveyard reading epitaphs on headstones...

[Dialog]
Guy one: 'Here lies an Honest man, and a ____!'

Guy two: What do you know, Two guys in the same grave!!

My favorite for the blank, is politician. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

what i find ironic, is that this occured in ann arbor, michigan, which is a very liberal area.

ann arbor is two-faced, preaching tolerance, but being very intolerant. "not in my back yard".

liked the "joke"--very thought evoking.

take care, Charles.

Bob

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

pedalinbob, I don't want to sound like a gay basher and at the risk of not being politically correct I have to wonder why the Cops would harass your buddy since he's not overtly gay. (I assume you mean appearance, demeanor and words) Do they routinely target every lone male? Since you were also harassed it makes you wonder what's going on. All I can come up with is they are suspicious of guys in the parks without a gal in tow and are just trying to protect the kids.

I sat in on a graphic medical brief from a psychiatrist and flight surgeon on homosexual practices a few years back and the things most of them "routinely" engage in is some kind of nasty. It was much worse than what I had ever imagined. The % of homosexuals that are also pedophiles is way up there as well.

I have 2 homosexual friends, that I know of (they don't know each other) and think the world of both of them. I never bring it up and neither do they. As long as we have this understanding we will remain buddies. I am not a gay basher but I also don't believe in gay rights or same sex marriage. I will treat gays as equals but they certainly aren't anything special.

To get back on topic...I too believe the main goal of nearly all politicians is re-election and party advancement. They probably start with the best of intentions but are soon corrupted by the hunger for power.

Saaby

Flashaholic

This is a touchy subject and one that could certainly become a flamefest pretty quick, however it's been pretty calm so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Keep it up and I swear on my Arc AAA it won't get closed.

Greta

Flashaholic

I like the "don't ask - don't tell" policy. Because it applies to everyone... gay and "straight" (I wish I knew exactly what that means... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif ). Being a heterosexual female, I don't find it necessary to go around telling people that. And in all of my 41 years, no one has ever asked me. So why should anyone ask or tell anyone at all? I agree with Dave... [ QUOTE ]
I will treat gays as equals but they certainly aren't anything special.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that how it should be with everyone?

Back on thread topic... Yes, somewhere in the middle is where the solutions (and truth) can be found. But without the extremes on both sides, there will never be a balance. So it's a necessary evil to have the two major parties and their extremes in order for us to find the middle. Those of us who recognize the middle are the smart ones... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

DieselDave, i think that maybe they were having problems with gay activities in the park. i know that my friend has told me that in his younger/wilder days they would meet wherever they could--such as parks, restrooms, gay clubs.

too much info! he really didnt need to tell me that, but i did gain insight as to the mindset of some gays.

again, i will state that nobody should be engaging in sexual activities in public. go get a room!

ironically, i have on multiple occasions stumbled upon heterosexual couples having sex in the parks. my friend has as well.
yet, the police cannot patrol straight couples, so they will single out single men walking around the park. i am not slamming the police--if anything, i am very much pro law enforcement.

i have no issue with the police taking a proactive stance. however, harassing people because they might be gay is another issue. if gays happen to meet in the park, i dont mind, and the public shouldnt either. if those same people decide to have sex in this public area, then we should have a problem

i agree with many above that i prefer that a person is not "in your face" about their sexuality. remember, i live just outside ann arbor, where everyone feels the need to cram their sexual identity/opinions/freakishness down your throat. they just love trying to shock people on the street with deep, passionate kisses, crazy/overt behavior etc. if you were to be offended, then you might be labeled a gay hater.
i dislike any ultra-passionate public behavior--take it to a room!
they dont need to broadcast their orientation, i dont run around screaming "im straight!"

yet, i have no issue with 2 men walking together, without overt displays. i expect their behavior to mirror a straight person's in public.

i have to refute your findings on your review board. though your sampling may have shown otherwise, pedophiles are not generally gay, they are straight. i know it sounds strange, but men who molest boys are not gay. they do not have sex with men, only boys and women. (of curse they are sick freaks!)

i think on this point we may have to agree to disagree.

um...yeah...i must admit just the thought of 2 men...you know...ick. but they can do whatever they please as long as it is kept private and no one is hurt.

with my views you would think im a lib...but im verymuch a conservetive!

back to the light!

take care, DieselDave.

Bob

Brotherscrim

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
The % of homosexuals that are also pedophiles is way up there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

A commonly-held misconception. It comes from the fact that most child molesters are adult males who prey on young boys. If (like me) you believe that pedophilia is a separate concept, and instead look at the adult sexual practices only to determine orientation, you find that quite the opposite is true.

Observe

Some quotes for those of you who don't feel like reading the article:

"Groth and Birnbaum (1978) studied 175 adult males who were convicted in Massachusetts of sexual assault against a child. None of the men had an exclusively homosexual adult sexual orientation. "

"...the remaining 22 (13%) were classified as regressed adult bisexuals. Of the last group, Groth and Birnbaum observed that "in their adult relationships they engaged in sex on occasion with men as well as with women. However, in no case did this attraction to men exceed their preference for women....There were no men who were primarily sexually attracted to other adult males..."

"Dr. Carole Jenny reviewed 352 medical charts, representing all of the sexually abused children seen in the emergency room or child abuse clinic of a Denver children's hospital during a one-year period (from July 1, 1991 to June 30, 1992). The molester was a gay or lesbian adult in only 2 of the 269 cases in which an adult molester could be identified – fewer than 1% "

I've seen alsewhere (can't remember where, sorry) an article that featured a statistic of child molesters showing that the majority of them were married men.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I would never try and argue there are more gay pedophiles than heterosexuals. That would be like saying football is safe for woman because more men are injured playing football every year than woman.

The argument is also skewed if someone must be a strict homosexual verses bi-sexual to be considered a gay pedophile. When we take 5% of the population, weed out a 1/3 of them because they don't meet the fine line of strictly gay and then compare the total number against the other 95% of the population the number will very be low.

The brief I sat in on was not a pro or negative agenda that I am aware of, it was research as well. Their statistics showed that about 30% of homosexuals are admitted pedophiles. Their report may be wrong I really don't know. This brief was given as part of sensitivity training when they implemented "don't ask don't tell". This was only a small part of the brief. We spent many hours listening to how great it is to be a homosexual and how they aren't going to hit on you or give you AIDS. They may have included bi-sexuals in their report, I don't know.

The only pedophile I know was the grandfather of my friends kids, non-homosexual. He almost didn't make it to trial and then had a heart attack and died before sentencing.

The point in the brief was that it is many times more likely a homosexual and maybe a bi-sexual could be a pedophile than it is a heterosexual. This is another one of the statistical arguments. It all goes to how they gather and frame their statistics to get to a conclusion.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm...somehow my thread about politicians from both parties being much the same, has turned into a discussion of gays in our society. Certainly not what I intended.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

oops...sorry Ikendu!

um...cant wait to get my new elitemax...should be great!

im tired of politics today...lets talk about something fun--like lights or good food!

Bob

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Sorry Ikendu,

The Blue angels flew in at sunset last night and came right over my house at 500'. It was amazing, loud and they had their jets turning hard. I mention this because I think I may have saw one of them mouthing, "Politicians are out for themselves." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
The Blue angels flew in at sunset last night and came right over my house at 500'. It was amazing, loud and they had their jets turning hard. I mention this because I think I may have saw one of them mouthing, "Politicians are out for themselves." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or to combine the fragments of these threads, politicians must be bisexual because they'll screw anybody! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well said Tom! I brought up the gay things since it is tied to BOTH parties.

Gay rights is all about EQUAL treatment. The point being to remove sexuality from reasons to deny (whatever). Without those laws, gays have routinely been treated as Subhumans.

Yes, it is one thing to meet in public, and another to engage in sex in public.

I also have a strong dislike for smootchy behaviour in public, no matter what genders are involved.

Ask any juvenile detective, and you find the perception that ALL pedophiles are gay, and ALL gays are pedophiles.

I used the gay things for the sole reason that it involves both parties, and, is rooted in Organized Religion.

END of discussion on this topic fragment.