some P3D questions

IRML

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I have a premium L2D Q5 and I love it, but I'm thinking of getting a Premium P3D because of longer battery life in low mode, higher overall brightness, smaller length and nicer looks, but I have a few questions first:
  1. my L2D flashes to turbo mode for a split second when I turn it on in general mode, does the P3D do this?
  2. can someone show me some pictures of the black, natural and olive colours together so I can see the difference, there wasn't any colour choices other than black when I bought my L2D so I have no idea what they look like
  3. and finally the important one - rebel or Q5? my L2D is Q5 and I think it's fine, but I read people saying rebel produces better coloured light (although it's a bit dimmer)
also, not really important, but the L1D takes 1 AA battery and the L2D takes 2 AA batteries right? so what's the difference between the P1D, P2D and P3D if they take only 1 and 2 CR123 batteries, P1D and P2D especially because they both take 1 battery, are they not the same?

thanks for reading

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
No momentary flicker with the P3D.
I prefer the color of the rebel and there is really no diffrence by the eye as to brightness, at least for me that is.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hi

I have a premium L2D Q5 and I love it, but I'm thinking of getting a Premium P3D because of longer battery life in low mode, higher overall brightness, smaller length and nicer looks, but I have a few questions first:
  1. my L2D flashes to turbo mode for a split second when I turn it on in general mode, does the P3D do this?
  2. can someone show me some pictures of the black, natural and olive colours together so I can see the difference, there wasn't any colour choices other than black when I bought my L2D so I have no idea what they look like
  3. and finally the important one - rebel or Q5? my L2D is Q5 and I think it's fine, but I read people saying rebel produces better coloured light (although it's a bit dimmer)
also, not really important, but the L1D takes 1 AA battery and the L2D takes 2 AA batteries right? so what's the difference between the P1D, P2D and P3D if they take only 1 and 2 CR123 batteries, P1D and P2D especially because they both take 1 battery, are they not the same?

thanks for reading

No, the P3D does not flash between modes.

Personally, I prefer Cree over Rebel, but I prefer the pure white over warm white. Seems brighter to me, but it's purely personal preference.

P1D is twisty, no clicky
P2D uses the same head as the L1D and L2D, and functions the same
P3D is an entirely different flashlight, as you can see from the specs.

Pics:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188124

Different light (LOD), but same colors.

IRML

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the quick replies guys

ok so I see the difference of the torches now, I thought they all used the same head but now if I'm right the L1D, L2D and P2D use the same head and the P1D and P3D both have their own? (the P3D one must be quite similar to the L2D one)

I guess the P3D must use a different head because it says low batt indicator, and the other specs don't say that, the different head would also explain why it doesn't flash brighter when you turn it on and the others do

I think I'll go for the brighter LED like I did with the L2D, brightness is more usefull to me than slightly better colour

as for colour, I guess it's a choice between black and olive

thanks guys

txgp17

Enlightened
Question #1 - No. My L2D P100 does what your L2D Q5 does. I don't know why.
Question #2 - I say go with the Q5. I carry a P3D, and I bought a Q5 as a gift for my Girlfriend for to carry at work. I couldn't tell any difference other than the Q5 having slightly more spill.

Here's what I posted in another thread:
The Q5 is noticeably brighter than the P100, but that's only a result of more side spill. The throw abilities are equal in my opinion.

I attribute this to the larger size of the Q5, making it more difficult to properly focus.
Presentation1.jpg

IRML

Newly Enlightened
yeah my L2D is a Q5 with textured reflector and it's brilliant so I'll go with that again

TMaster

Newly Enlightened
THe P3D is ausome, A little pricey though. I have the new Q5 version and it is a cold white. I'm not that fond of the cold white, its kind of fake looking. I pefer the P4 tint thats in a cheapy Ultrafire I have.

The P3D is the only small, same size overall flashlight on the market that takes 2 CR123A. All the other brands have a larger lense and smaller body which I didn't like.

Everytime you turn it on it is in low mode, unless you have the front bezel tight then it comes on in Turbo mode. Sopposed to be 215 lumens, but It seems more like 180-190 to me. I don't know what amps it pulls though, I should probably hook my meter up too it to see then calculate.

I run the panasonic 3V lithium cells. I think they are around 1300-1500mAh. Great little batteries. I also tried the ultrafire protected 3.6V 880mAh batteries and they do work. But the P3D has to be unscrewed so far for them to fit it is pretty pointless. Plus since the lithium 3V cells are twice the capacity each, they can handle twice the amps and thus the heat is cut in half. You can get the 3V lithiums for about $1.50 each if you buy a bunch at a time. Its way better then running the rechargeables.

The thing I love about the P3D is that you have 6 volts going into the driver so yo always have the brightness unlike the smaller 1 cell lights.

IRML

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the reply, that's just about everything I needed to know

I was looking at these batteries just before I read your post

http://batteryjunction.com/1pcencr3voph.html

I think it's too much hassle for me using rechargable ones, what with getting a good charger and worrying about not blowing myself up and all that, so these will do fine lol

thanks everyone

Last edited: