Peru Travel tips

InTheDark

Enlightened
Anybody have any insight? I'm going to be taking a trip to Peru in a couple weeks, anything I should know before going? I'll be making the rounds from Lima, Cusco, Machu Pichu, and then a train to Lake Titicaca. What's the local laws like regarding knives and multitools?

Aside from the usual dangers I've been reading about, is there anything else I should research? I'll be there for about a week, travelling with a returning local, so at least someone will have some familiarity with the country.

dulridge

Enlightened
Anybody have any insight? I'm going to be taking a trip to Peru in a couple weeks, anything I should know before going? I'll be making the rounds from Lima, Cusco, Machu Pichu, and then a train to Lake Titicaca. What's the local laws like regarding knives and multitools?

Aside from the usual dangers I've been reading about, is there anything else I should research? I'll be there for about a week, travelling with a returning local, so at least someone will have some familiarity with the country.

Sendero Luminoso. All the rest is no big...

Read up on those scumbags. And let's not imply anything about Alberto Fujimori....

Beware!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never been in the highlands but just recently in Lima, Iquitos and the Upper Amazon Basin. I don't think the Paths are really much in play anymore.

No problems with folders, multitools or lights. (knives and multitools were checked on flights, of course).

Great country and people. Lots of stuff on the net. Enjoy.

tygger

Enlightened
Don't be alarmed if you feel a little bloated for the first few days, its your body adjusting to the food, bacteria, etc. Be careful about ordering uncooked vegetables or salads, only order those at nicer restaurants. All cab rides are negotiable. When riding in cabs/shuttle bus, keep your backpack at your feet and not on the seat or in your lap. Unless you live in a high elevation you will probably get altitude sickness in Cusco. Most hostels and hotels have oxygen available on request but personally I think it only prolongs the adjustment. It should only take a day or two to shake the headache and get used to the shortness of breath. Again, unless you're body is already acclimated to elevations over 10,000 feet, you might want to take it easy the first day in Cusco. The people are very nice. Small folding pocket knife or multitool shouldn't be a problem. I'd recommend hiding it in your checked luggage in case the baggage handlers have sticky fingers. Around Cusco, if you're feeling brave, you could try a local corn based alcoholic drink called Chicha. Oh, one random thing I noticed on my trip last year. Napkins and toilet paper are 1 ply and not given out in large quantities. Having some extra tissue with you can come in handy. Have a great trip!

DM51

Flashaholic
Local airlines should be avoided at all costs. Anything not securely affixed to your person will be stolen. If you feel something dripping on your head from the overhead luggage rack in a bus, it is probably a baby.

slagell

Newly Enlightened
Lima is scary and crime ridden. It is a sump, and I found no reason to stay there. NAzca, Cusco, MAchhu Picchu are great. Spend extra time in Cusco. THey have some nice bed and breakfasts.

In Lima, be careful of taking the "special" taxi's at the airport. Lot's of people pretending to be airport officials, too. Unless they are at the information desk and you sought them out, don't trust them. You can see some cools pics of our SA trip on www.slagell.org.

Bhustan

Newly Enlightened
I was in Lima, Arequipa, and the Andes in 2000 (pre-CPF).

Like mentioned earlier, beware elevation sickness. Be sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, and even some Coke or Pepsi to help with blood sugar at the high altitude (chocolate works, too).

I'm not sure, but at the time I went, it was required to get shots for yellow-fever, and some other infections. You will want to be sure to be updated on shots and bring those records with.

Facilities like bathrooms range from modern to primitive depending where you are. Driving/being a passenger is often a white-knuckle feat. You are best to check ahead with the taxi services, etc. to see which ones are reputable. When we were there, we had a planned itinerary with a travel agency (Condor Travel) who picked us up at the airport (late arrival). As previously mentioned, the trip from the airport to the hotel was quite exciting (in a nervous way), too.

Heed all advice about pick-pockets,etc. Beware what you carry on your person in public in terms of bags, etc. If you get bumped into by anybody,even so slightly, there is a good chance you've been robbed. It would be a good idea to ask your Peruvian friend about what styles are current there and get some clothes that may help you blend in a bit better. Tourists are marked quickly and often by thieves and worse. I had a person following me trying to get at my daypack when I was there, until our guide said something to him in Spanish and the guy tailed off. I had been watching the guy the whole time, and he still followed me and looked like he was waiting for a good chance to do something.

You can usually find good deals for merchandise at markets. Be sure to negotiate on prices, and maybe do a little research ahead of time. Keep in mind that some things might be grabbed at Customs when you get back, so use your head when buying anything down there.

The airports we encountered were all outdoor, with a staircase up to the plane type of thing. Wasn't used to that.

Peru is in a seismically active area, so be aware there are earthquake possibilities. Modern facilities there should provide adequate shelter.

Overall, it is a naturally BEAUTIFUL country. Just beware areas in Lima, as it is quite sketchy in parts. Be aware of your surroundings and you should have a good time. You might also want to check the US State Dept website for travel alerts for the area ahead of time.

Have fun!
-MB

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's your medical info. http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationPeru.aspx

Just use common sense. Lima is just another huge city. Use the same judgement as if you were in Wash, DC, Houston or Detroit. There's bad areas and bad guys everywhere just as there are good ones.

One of my friends had his MP3 player lifted in the market in Nauta. A couple of the stall merchants chased the guy down, made him return the player and apologize, explaining how important the tourists were to the town and country. Hard to believe, but true - I was there.

slagell

Newly Enlightened
Drink the local tea it helps if you go to high altitudes

Though, don't bring any back. Customs prohibits it because it is made from the same plant as cocaine (I assume you are talking about the coco tea).

Bring pocket kleenex everywhere since there is often no TP, and some bathrooms charge admittance fees (like at Macchu Picchu). For some reason, they almost never have toilet seats. So practice your squats. And don't forget the hand sanitizer.

I never got sick, but I did not drink the tap water. THe natives don't either. Just get bottled water. It is everywhere, and cheap. "sin gas" for non carbonated. A doctor will give you an emergency Cipro Rx just in case you get sick. However, Lima will likely give you what feels like a cold if you stay there too long. It is really just an allergic reaction to the smog. Quito was the worst, though, for smog.

Know the taxi rates first, and know how to identify real taxis. And remember, little kids are good pick pockets too.

All in all, we had a great trip. But you just have to be safe.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips, just got back from my trip and it was a great experience. I tried the coca tea, couldn't stand the taste, so I just had to deal with the headaches and sickness for a while. Even though I only drank the bottled water or sodas, I still did feel sick for a while, but nothing too bad that prevented me from moving around. Just a couple of general lessons learned

1) Carry TP with you everywhere. Even though most of the bathrooms had it, a lot of them didn't.

2) No matter where you go, someone's gonna be trying to sell you something

3) Taxi drivers in Lima are the scariest taxis I've ever been in. There's only two speeds, full speed ahead, and slamming on the brake. Couple with the fact that most of the taxis seems to be barely functional, and the drivers dont' seem to care which side of the road they're on makes for some very exciting rides. I've never played chicken with an oncoming bus until this trip, and that seems to be the accepted driving style there.

4) I actually never used my flashlight when I was there. The things that were invaluable was a multitool, duct tape, TP, and a good hat. The multitool was used to fix a bathroom door that was broken, and the duct tape to seal a leaky bus roof. The hat is great protection against the sun and rain, we got up to 14000ft elevation, the sun burns really quickly up there. Also, at Machu Pichhu, it went from sunny to pouring rain in a matter of minutes. TP, see #1 above.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Thanks for all the tips, just got back from my trip and it was a great experience. I tried the coca tea, couldn't stand the taste, so I just had to deal with the headaches and sickness for a while. Even though I only drank the bottled water or sodas, I still did feel sick for a while, but nothing too bad that prevented me from moving around.

Guess you didn't take along a Steripen to sterilize your water.

InTheDark

Enlightened
Nope, I didn't sterilize the water. I did carry some water purification tablets with me, but I didn't see the need to sterilize bottled water. Almost everyone I was with had some issues, either flu like symptoms or headaches and stomachaches, which we attributed to the hectic travel schedule and acclimitizing to the altitude.

I'm guessing my problem could have been from the restaurant food or from the street vendors (yup, I like to live dangerously), or it could have just been due to the high altitude and general hygiene problems that you can't avoid when travelling. Either way it wasn't that bad, and I'm not one that's afraid to try anything that looks appetizing.

I forgot to add that hand sanitizer is also another good thing to carry. Sometimes you just don't have the opportunity to wash your hands all the time, so a quick disinfecting is useful.