Replacement flood light for cr2 ion?

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
I'm looking to get another 'finger' LED light.

This has proven to be a popular 'form factor' for LED lights, as it should. Look at the popularity of the SF Titan and the NovaTac series. It embodies the strengths of the LED - small size and good runtimes.

I've got one of the older finger lights, the cr2 ion. As time goes by I like this light more and more. I use it on low as a reading light - hard to argue with the 35 hour regulated runtime (2.5-5 lumens). However the best part of this light is its very smooth flood output. It's perfect for close work. The first image below shows the light suspended about 20" above the books. You can see there's no annoying hotspot, just a smooth cone of light. Perhaps part of the reason for this is the cree xlamp led (not the newer xre), but whatever the reason I like the flood output.

If you project the beam onto the wall it has three distinct brightness bands from the center, but they all blend smoothly into each other. The light is perfect for close work, reading, around camp, nocturnal trail walking. Compared to this the Fenix lights (for example) have a distinct hotspot with a much dimmer flood zone. Not as useful up close, the hotspot is annoying.

Anyone know of a similar sized LED light with a flood output? The Zebra light appears to have a good flood output, but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there? Apparently the ion is no longer made..

cr2_ion_lamp2.jpg

PI.jpg

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight does have very nice flood beam and what's more it is exceptional value. Have you looked into the Aleph Mule or some of the flood mods in the custom lights. I have a Mule (in PD format) and it is what I use if I need a flood.

The downside of the Mule if you are looking for a CR2 Ion relacement is a fair increase in size.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I think putting a new cree would make it way less floody.
I want someone to put some Seoul in my CR2 ION!
I can't see any posts that it's been done by someone though.
:shrug: Maybe it wouldn't work?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Endeavour produced (2) different CR2 Ions......the first was very floody and the 2nd sports Cree XRE (this first was a different generation Cree) see pictures below. The XRE version has a much brighter and more focused beam (still has some spill).

I believe 4 Sevens also offered some with an XRE (or perhaps another Cree?)

I have a Zebralight, very floody, two stage, also a nice Amilite T5, good mix of flood and throw (2 stage clicky). You could also build a TnC SF CR2 or Cr123 body (could accept rechargeables) and add a Cree or Seoul Light Engine with no reflector... a "mule" type TnC.

172045998_cdGWf-S.jpg
172046088_yQ2or-S.jpg

Original, Left XRE right

150810521_gBmm7-M.jpg

Amilite T5, third from left
209194319_an8Km-M.jpg

TnC SF CR2, TnC SF, AA, TnC, Keylux AA with Seoul FluPic, nice somewhat spill beam and multiple levels