Am I an LED convert??

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
So it was about 1:45AM Sunday morning. I had been watching a live firefight taking place in Umm Qasr and was waiting to see an airstrike take place when - BLACKNESS. Power went out. At that very moment, the wife walked in after a night out with the girls. I had to find light - FAST. I reached over to the nightstand and couldn't locate my E1E. I realized I had left my ArcWhite on the dresser, do I went over and grabbed it.

Now, I have many more incandescent than LED lights. When it boiled down to it, I needed lights I could leave on to act as "lanterns" in the house. I used all LED's (except for the cold cathode portion of my ArcWhite). Why? I think I was concerned about runtime. Most of my incan lights are high-power-runtime-is-about-an-hour type.

My Blaster acted as the entire main level lantern (this thing is bright!). My wife and 8-month old carried an Inretech Minimag, and I carried my Arc LS.

I did, however, take my TigerLight and WolfEyes M90 outside for a little throw test. My wife thought I was psychotic - going outside at 2AM to play with flashlights. The results as you might imagine were in favor of the TigerLight - tighter beam = longer throw. I'd say the M90 is just as bright - its beam is just a little more spread out.

So am I an LED convert? Let's just say I might be buying a 5W Blaster next....

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Icebreak - The Blaster's use a full 3mm thick lens. I've got both some B270 and UCL glass being shipped to me in that thickness and should be able to cut some lenses within a week.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the club!

I can see the Blaster II in exactly the same role as the one you chose it for. Full room lighting during outages by setting it on a table and pointing it at the ceiling. If I'd had one during the ice storm I would have used it instead of the LW 4000, no doubt.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlightlens.com said:
Icebreak - The Blaster's use a full 3mm thick lens. I've got both some B270 and UCL glass being shipped to me in that thickness and should be able to cut some lenses within a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great! Which forum should I watch? Which method will you use in your blaster?
I've been reading the kudos your stuff is getting in the "ModMen" forum. I'm thinking the Blasters are going to become more and more popular. Spending a few dollars to upgrade a $90.00 light seems pretty reasonable to me. Hopefully, many Blaster buyers will become flashlightlens.com buyers as well. I haven't figured out why Elektrolumens hasn't sold many Blaster Vs. 12 hrs. at 120 lumens was something I couldn't pass up.

I apologize for the hijacking. This sounds like it will be good news for many people. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Icebreak - My Blaster's definitely getting the UCL - you just can't go wrong with 99% transmittance. Keep an eye on the Dealer's Corner.

I agree about the Blaster V's - I thought they would sell out almost immediately. The Blaster's are excellent lights and a great value.

Chris