Sl-20XP, I got questions for my next impulse buy

dockersguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering buying the Sl-20xp. Can anyone tell me what the beam looks like ? How large? Shape? Quality of the beam? Brightness? Also what other lights can the sl-20xp be compared to as far as brightness and beam quality. I was doing some research on this in the forum, but only found a few posts on this particular topic.

-Thanks, from your fellow flashaholic.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.

the Streamlight SL-20XP (available in Black, Orange or Yellow:
strsl20xpyellow.jpg

The SL-20X
str26010.jpg

The SL-20XP has a 8 watt bulb, the SL-20X has a 10 Watt bulb.

I know for a fact (Talked to Streamlight directly) that the Streamlight SL-35 bulb (20 watts) can be run in the SL-20X, at a cost of reduced battery life. However, I do not know if the XP, with it's Polymer body can handle the 20 watt bulb.

These very dependable lights put out a LOT of light, but put out a broader, wider, light.

Here are some threads:

Also, Look at the UltraStinger and Stinger HP. They are newer, and have a tighter beam. It is not that one is better than the other ,just different.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the sl20x is a great light, if you don't mind the length or the weight. if you want something brighter run the sl35x bulb, this is how i had my 20x set up. battery life drops to around 45min iirc, although i never tested it.

a tigerlight will get you much more brightness and runtime in 8" if you want something shorter and less weight.

dockersguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info so far, but can anyone tell me in terms of brightness what other lights the sl-20xp can be compared to (surefire z3 combat)? Also, what I'm getting so far is that the quality of the beam of the sl-20xp is similar if not then exactly the same as surefires?
Thanks again.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
From memory (do not actually have one in front of me), it is a very useable beam, but not surefire perfect. NOT the typical mag- 3d rings or shadows either. This is a standard LEO light, so the quality is very good. It is more of a broad, wide light. The Ultrastinger is a more narrow, but piercing light.

The things are built like Sherman tanks (or should I say Abrams Tanks), including the bulb. Last a long time.

Not a work of art, not the latest technology, not a surefire perfect beam, but a workhorse, very bright, dependable, field proven by untold tens of thousands of LEO's.

The LS-20x with the SL-35 bulb (20 watts), while reducing the battery life to about 40-50 minutes, is probably the brightest rechargable flashlight (not spotlight) under 500 dollars.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 10X is brighter. It produces more light.

Does anyone have photos of the SL-20X next to an UltraStinger and/or TigerLight please?

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
second what buddtx said. if you buy one, you won't be disappointed.

be sure to get a "ucl" lens from flashlightlens.com, a major improvement over the stock plastic.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the beam on the SL-35X lamp? Does it have a tight long throwing hotspot? How about general beam quality?

Also, I'm very curious as to how the output of SL-35X lamp compares to a Tigerlight.

Any comments and/or links to beamshots of the 35?

Mark