Kroma - is this just me?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Is this just my eyes? Or do the Kroma red in their respective levels appear dimmer then their blue counterparts even though they are suppose to output more light? Is it just the red vs blue thing?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
What lights are available with approx 6 lumens of red light?

All I've got to compare are a Surefire Kroma and Energizer dual mode headlamp.

The Kroma high red seems just right for my needs. Surefire states this is 6.3 lumens. The low red (.5 lumens) is a bit dim for what I'm looking for. The Energizer headlamp red is however too much.

With that said what other lights are available with approx 2-10 lumens of output? I'm also open to drop ins such as a red SMJLED or such but would like to know how much light it's gonna produce.

Also, why does the Kroma red seem so much dimmer than the Kroma blue even though Surefire states that the blue is only half a bright? Is my Kroma defective?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What lights are available with approx 6 lumens of red light?

Your Kroma is not defective. The human eye is more sensative to some wavelengths than it is to others. We are very sensative to the blue/cyan range of the spectrum which is why SureFire can have the blue LEDs putting out less light but still appear as bright or brighter than the red LEDs. As for your original question, I don't know offhand. You could try giving Peak LED solutions a call and seeing if any of their red lights are in the 6 lumen range.

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Glad you didn't get into more detail. I just wanted to make sure my light wasn't defective!

DM51

Flashaholic

You already have a thread about the Kroma's red output. It was not necessary to start a new thread - you could simply have changed the title.

I am merging the 2 threads. If you wish to change the title, you can do so by editing post #1 in 'advanced' mode.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Bimemrboy,

To my eyes, the blue seems to be just a little brighter than red on low, but definitely brighter on high.

Tom

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
your kroma is fine mine is that way too. maybe a red inova x1? i can't find any lumen numbers on it but my white x1 is not to bright meaning the red will probably be quite dim... someone correct me if im wrong.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

Your Kroma is not defective. The human eye is more sensative to some wavelengths than it is to others. We are very sensative to the blue/cyan range of the spectrum

Not quite. The human eye is most sensitive to light at around 555nm, which is in the yellow-green portion of the spectrum. Further, our eyes are more sensitive to most areas of the red spectrum than to they are to blue.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/efficacy.html#c1

Perceived spectral luminous efficacy cannot explain why a red source would appear brighter than a blue source of equal power; rather, the data state that the reverse would be true for anything other than very deep red.

GreySave

Enlightened
I rarely use the blue output of my Kroma. To me it is both brighter and harsher than the red, so much so that it is annoying to me. The two levels of red are perfect for my taste. Low provides just enough minimal light to move around and high lights up a larger area. Facts and figures aside, I think there is a certain amount of personal preference and individual perception that works into the mix as well.