CPF Hikers/Backpackers: What lights your way?

RdlyLite

Enlightened
My thinking tells me: 1-2 cell, AA or CR123 (although still prefer rechargeables for guilt free lumens), good regulated runtime, waterproof, and good beam pattern, ay? I just cant quite put my finger on what to 'invest' in...Since the GF and I will be taking in a few hikes and camping trips this upcoming year.

**Headlamps suggestions welcome! Thanks Scottaw, I almost forgot! :naughty:

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire L1 does everything I need on my night hikes in the woods. It's only that and a Tikka XP on the headband ( soon to be replaced by a Coleman CR2 Cree headlight ). Anything more than that becomes useless weight...

clg0159

Enlightened
Lately, for backpacking I am liking the zebralight H50 and either pocketing the L1 or taking a LODQ4 on a neck lanyard. Super lightweight!

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
My style is pretty lightweight, so that's my main consideration. Also, easy availability of batteries near the trail. Also, long runtime is more important than bright light. So, I used to take a Petzl Tikka XP, then a Princeton Tec Quad, and on my last trip an Arc AAA-P. The Arc got me down a dark trail from dusk to 12:30 am when I got to the car. It would not have been bright enough for much off trail work.

Camping I take other stuff, but then it doesn't matter cuz the car is close at hand.

hw

M.S

Enlightened
I usually have taken just tikka plus with one set of batteries. Thats good for a week long trip. But it doesn't really get dark in the northern Lapland during late spring / early summer when I usually go hiking.

Supernam

Enlightened
I would be very comfortable with just my Black Diamond Spot headlamp modded with a Seoul, and my Milky ML-1. Add in some spare batteries and I'm good.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
I've heard headlamps reduce depth perception because the shadows objects cast aren't visible to you (light source and eyes essentially at the same point). On a steep trail that could be dangerous. However on a really steep trail you might need to use your hands. Personally I'd still go for a torch in the hand.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec Quad, Ti PD-S and Novatac 120P.

I agree that the Surefire L1 would be a great choice too, but in my last backpacking trip, I found that I prefered my lights that had reflectors to the L1.

I have recently obtained some Seoul-Mated HDS lights and I added the 2 x 123 packs to them. These will likely find their way on my next trip and will be paired up w/Ra / HDS new Twisty that should ship next week.

The promise of the Twisty's ultra-rugged design and 3 levels sounds to me like the perfect light to throw in my pack.

I am also looking at the new Petzl w/the Seoul in it to replace my Quad.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight H50 Q5 for a headlamp, and probably my Nitecore Defender Infinity.
I also think the Proton Pro is essential for any backpacker.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When hiking I usually carry my Fenix L1T V2.0 as my primary light, with a P1D-CE Q5 as backup. I put Eneloops in the L1T, so those lumens are guilt-free.

The P1D-CE Q5 has now been replaced with a Lummi Raw Ti. I wanted something with similar output but with a simple, reliable user interface. And being titanium, I have that added reassurance of strength.

I also carry a Mag 2D ROP in my rucksack at all times, powered by Sanyo Eneloop cells. This does not get used very often, but is worth the extra weight when you find a cave or something. Raw output power and colour rendition is excellent. Plus, if I ever get caught out after dark, the ROP is so powerful that I can find a stile at the opposite end of a field from me! Very useful indeed.

snowmanco

Newly Enlightened
For hiking I use an L1 with a NiteIze headband (http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=61) and the back it up with a U2 in my backpack. The L1 provides more than enough light on low for trail navigation and allows an easy switch to high if I hit some steep sections or for moving around off the trail.

For backpacking it's basically the same but usually includes an FM64 diffuser filter for the U2 to provide tons of light for up close stuff and an SC1 spares carrier with extra batteries. If car camping I'll usually have a Coleman gas lantern as well.

I use to use a Petzl Tikka but the L1 blows it away and I like having the added convenience of extra light on demand with a simple push or twist when needed.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey RdlyLite,

I use a Tikka headlamp and a good hand held. I rotate a E2e w/MN02, NovaTac 85P, 6PL, or L2, depending on if my intent is to hike at night or just in case it gets dark.

I do a lot of hiking in Kings Canyon and Sequioa National Parks when I'm in your neck of the woods. I used to plan my hikes so I would come back in the dark. Then one night I literally ran into a bear! It was in Stump Meadows. Needless to say I don't plan on coming back in the dark anymore.

I love the Big Trees!

I usually bring a M4 or M6 for goofing off around camp.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
Oh yea, and i forgot to mention last night, i carry a small red light, currently a gerber IU in red. It's great for after a few hours at the fire, even 5 white lumens will kill your eyes.

78CJ5

Newly Enlightened
Given the fact I wear a 10 year old pair of Limmer Standard boots :thumbsup:... I like old school (bigger/heavier) gear.

I like my Princton Tec Apex and a Surefire A2 and/or L2.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seoul and 18650 modded Streamlight Argo HP
and
Cree P4 and 18650 modded SF 6P
do everything for me
(when biking a 2nd 18650 for the 6P, just in case)

when really hiking/packbacking, an additional candle:
for personal hygiene at riverside. The snares attracted from the headlamp make me crazy at that non-moving task, therefore the candle.
:rolleyes:

meuge

Enlightened
My thinking tells me: 1-2 cell, AA or CR123 (although still prefer rechargeables for guilt free lumens), good regulated runtime, waterproof, and good beam pattern, ay? I just cant quite put my finger on what to 'invest' in...Since the GF and I will be taking in a few hikes and camping trips this upcoming year.

**Headlamps suggestions welcome! Thanks Scottaw, I almost forgot! :naughty:
Nowadays I carry an Princeton Tec EOS headlamp, as well as three lights (two for me, one as a backup for whoever).

- Fenix T1 (2x123)
- Fenix L1D-CE (1xAA)
- KD Buckle AAA (with custom o-rings)

I carry 2 AA Eneloops, 2 AA lithiums, 2 123 lithiums, and 2 AA Eneloops.

Mostly, I just use the L1D-CE and the Fenix is there for goofing off, as there really isn't a time when I would need something THAT powerful.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
GO BULLDOGS!!!

Well, I'll be darned... I got to second that one, "Go! Dogs! Go!" I pretty hardcore. :grin2: On topic, I plan on hitting the areas you mentioned soon. Hehe.

To all: And this proves to me why it serves me well to post my thoughts/questions on here. :) Some things mentioned, I probably wouldn't have 'thunk' myself. Lol.

generic808

Enlightened
Nothing beats the durability and reliability of the almost indestructible SF G2. Mine always tags along on my hikes, along with a good headlamp.