Freshmeat here has few questions

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Hiya I'mma a freshmeat here but pls. bare with me! Hoep you don't find my questions to be stupid!

1) Would you recommend the Streamlight Twintask 1AA LED? What's your opinion on it?

2) Is the SL 4AA Propolymer Luxeon a good light? How about the 4AA Xenon version?

3) I just ordered a SF 6P (pls. don't try to empty my bank account) ;-). What's the best, cheap drop-in LED for it with good runtime and brightness?

4) Is the Inova X1 1AA a good light? What's your opinion on it?

5) I got an Inova Bolt 2AA for X-mas. Is this a good light?

Thx.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Would you recommend the Streamlight Twintask 1AA LED? What's your opinion on it?
What are you going to use the light for? Streamlight makes a good product, but there may be a better light for your specific task.

2) Is the SL 4AA Propolymer Luxeon a good light? How about the 4AA Xenon version? The Propolymer Lux has a really good reputation here, so I'd say it's a good light. However, the answer to question one applies here as well.

3) I just ordered a SF 6P (pls. don't try to empty my bank account) ;-). What's the best, cheap drop-in LED for it with good runtime and brightness? Go to the LED discussion subforum. At the top, there's a thread listing most, if not all, of the available P60 drop ins on the market. Keep in mind that best and cheap don't always go together, and finding a good balance can be difficult.

4) Is the Inova X1 1AA a good light? What's your opinion on it?

5) I got an Inova Bolt 2AA for X-mas. Is this a good light?

I don't have either of those, but I have an X5 and it's performance leads me to think highly of Inova. The Bolt looks like a good general use light, nothing too fancy, but it gets the job done. Hope this helps. Welcome to CPF.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1) Well, what do you need it for? There are many 1 AA lights(pretty much all of the 1 AA lights with current and last gen LEDs, prices range from $10 to $100+) that will easily out lumen this light if it is brightness you wish for.

2) It's good and has good regulation but just swapping out the last gen LED that the light has for a current gen one will double the output at no less runtime.

3) Check this thread. This drop-in seems to be good for the price.

4) See # 1. The light is good for something you can buy at a normal store but there are brighter ones out there.

5) Keep it. Not the best light but good for something you can get at a store. Swapping in a current gen LED should at least double the output without changing the runtime.

I'd also recommend reading the Welcome Mat. It could clarify many of the things you'll see here.

:welcome:

I do have a question, why "freshmeat"?

dwntwnftw

Newly Enlightened
I would not recommend the Inova X1 that has the "two watts" on the package. It has a square looking deep set LED. The run time has been reduced from previous versions.

Good luck, the other items are some good general purpose items.

I think the question of what you will use it for are good ones.. Don't buy simply to buy or you will wonder where your grocery money went...

Gen1-4

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here myself. I am not aware of a 1AA Twin-Task, are you thinking of the 1L (CR123 lithium battery)? I own several TTs including the 2x3AA and 2x2Ls but no 1Ls. They are good general purpose lights, the 2L is my favorite, but not throw monsters. Good for a large room, not so good for outdoor search.

Welcome

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think he means the Tasklight(review). Just looking at the numbers, it is apparent that the current gen LEDs are much more efficient. The L0D-CE has a bit more output on low and runs for almost the same time on a battery with less capacity(compared to the 1 AA Tasklight, L0D-CE review, there is a brighter Q4 version of the L0D-CE)

Gen 1-4:

If you want something with more throw, there are LED lights that will throw 100+ meters(and some of them can be had for under $50).

:welcome:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of what you need the light for. You can think though the options maybe like this:

--start with the batteries you'll be using. AA's, especially rechargeable NiMH's, are a pretty good starting point, cheap and available and with good capacity. Modern flashlights can use them pretty well.

--then decide on the use: 1xAA for small, easily carried flashlights. You can find sophisticated ones that have several output levels.

--for bigger output, and more general purpose lights, you can go 2xAA.

You can even find lights that can use both 1xAA and 2xAA by having extra battery tubes. The Fenix L1D with 2xAA extra tube (or, the same, the L2D plus a 1xAA tube) can cover all of these needs.

Now, you seem to be all over the place in what you are considering getting, looking at multi-AA lights, 1xAA lights, and also 2xCR123A lights (the 6P Surefire).

If you are starting out, the best thing is to stick with one type of battery and get relatively cheap but still well rounded lights, and then check how happy you are with what you have.

Then you can ask even more questions here!