Photon ReX -- Big Win or Bust?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
If I recall, the ReX was one of the most anticipated lights for 2007/2008. It seems there was an early buying frenzy when they 1st came out, but most discussions have ceased. What's up with that? For those who have the ReX, what are your thoughts about the light now? Was it what you expected? Do you still use it often? Are you happy with your purchase?

If you remember, I purchased (3) of these and ended up sending them all back for a refund. In my case, I had charging issues with all of them. I've since decided to order another and should have this upcoming week. I was so stoked when I first heard of this light, the problems I experienced really put a damper on that parade. I'm hoping I have better luck this 2nd time around.

How about some long-term opinions from those who have been using the ReX on a regular basis?

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too was wondering about this, I wanted to purchase one but have not yet.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
It looks pretty impressive. How is the output? I like the unique charging system that uses a battery to charge. I didn't pay much attention to this light until I read about it here.. looks interesting!

rtt

Enlightened
I to would like to hear what long term users opinion of this light are.

BigD64

Enlightened
I have had my Rex about 3 months and I love it. It's a clip and forget light. I clipped it to the zipper on my jacket and it's always there when I need it. I think I charged it 2x in 3 months. I'm recharging it from a rechargeable AA and it costs almost nothing. Good bright floody beam. Press and hold and you can get about as low a beam as you'd like. At less than 25 dollars it's a great value. Only minor glitch is you can't lose the charger and it is tiny and easy to misplace.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Yeah it would be nice if the charger would disappear into the light or something instead of being a separate unit. So how is the output? Arc AAA status?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had mine since they first came out and really enjoy using it. It is a fun light to use and I like being able to ramp up from a VERY low to a nice useable output level. My color tint is almost similar to a luxion and does not look like a typical 5 mm LED. It is a very pleasant without any harsh blue.

I have not used it for any extensive length of time since performing two runtime test. I typically use if for navigating aroung the house at night or occasionally to look for something. I throw it on the charger maybe once every two weeks even if I have not used it a lot. Rechargable batteries will last a lot longer if they have frequent charges without discharging the battery too low versus very deep discharge cycles. I only use a NiMh AA cell and have not had any issues. It has been charged only about 12 time since I got it.

I adjusted output to what a Princeton Tech Attitude was (4 AAA's and 3 LED's) and it ran for 2.5 hours. I also adjusted its output to a Fenix E1 with SSC LED and it ran for about an hour. Not too bad for such a small light. It can put out a lot of light on high but the runtime is pretty short. But given how much light this thing can put out it does not suprise.

FWIW - I do not know the details of the electronics or charging system but if the battery is like any other lithium ion, you would NOT want to discharge the light to the point it does not run or is very very dim. I would highly recommend charging it whenever it appears to be dimming. I have not heard there being any built in overdischarge protection. Maybe that is what has happened to some users? They are completely draining the cell and killing it? I have never dishcarged mine to complete empty.

Last edited:

jufam44

Enlightened
I was interested in one for a while, but there are better lights out there...much better lights...What exactly was the problem with yours, this_is_nascar? Did it not charge, or was it just absolutely Jenky?

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
I've edc'd mine every day since I got it; I was one of the first here to get one, so I guess it's 3-4months. It's been perfectly dependable.

I probably charge it about once a week (I use it a lot) and have no charging issues. Twice I took it out of my pocket and found it was on at a very low setting; although since I work at a hospital I'm always banging into stuff. So in that case, I'd give a slight advantage to edec'ing an ARC (or something like it).

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love mine, and carry it more than any other light anymore due to it's size, rechargability (not afraid to use it whenever I need to), and excellent UI. I keep all the bigger brighter lights in my bag in case I need them, but the Rex stays in my pocket all the time latched to a small Byrd knife.

oregon

Enlightened
Love it. Won't leave the house without it.

I put it on a "rescue me" orange lanyard for neck carry. I realize that it is there once or twice a day but since it is plastic, which warms quickly, and very light in weight it is ideal for neck carry.

I use it several times a week and charge it when I get around to it. Since the charger battery connections are magnetic I keep it stuck to my office desk lamp where I see it regularly so it is hard to misplace.

My REX has been so useful that I bot another from NGK for $20. Shipping is extra but I often have other stuff on my wish list from Mike Dye so whatever. I will buy more when they are back in stock.

The planned small solar charger, out there on the horizon, interests me. Cheap/free light attracts me.

Never, not even once, came on without me turning it on. Neck carry enables you to place the REX on the outside of your shirt, turn it on, and see where you are going in the dark with your hands free for other tasks (taking out the trash for example).

oregon

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...How about some long-term opinions from those who have been using the ReX on a regular basis?
I've had two Rex lights for several months, and like them so well just bought another as a gift.

I use mine daily, and have recharged it 30-40 times, usually off NiMH AA or D cells. No charging problems.

It has great output -- roughly 3x my Arc III-P (DS version). That's roughly equal to my Surefire U2 on level 4 (6=dimmest, 1=brightest).

Lux meter wall reflection tests (distance about 1 meter):

Photon clone: 2 lux
Arc III-P (DS): 4 lux
Surefire A2 (led): 4 lux
Photon ReX: 12 lux

I don't think there's anything better out there for the price.

Positives:

- great output
- tiny size
- variable brightness
- great UI
- very dim low level
- rechargable
- glow-in-the-dark button

Negatives:
- no switch lockout, so can accidentally get turned in your pocket.
- A tiny plastic collar surrounds one charging contact for polarity protection, but this can make it a bit tricky to attach. I just cut mine off with an X-Acto Knife.

83Venture

Enlightened
I am still considering one. Held off after TINs review and followed his advice and got a Proton, which I have been very happy with. Will be watching the comments/reviews here.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
For no switch lock-out: Keep in mind that you can place it in momentary mode and you can also enable the three minute time-out.

I'm hoping that many ReX owners are like me. Happily enjoying the light. I think no news is good news.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the feedback eveyone. I hoping to have better success with this new one. To the poster who asked about my prior issues, I have a ReX review in the Reviews section that outlines a bunch of stuff, mostly charging issues.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN - I hope you get a good one and that the ones you had before where somehow from a bad "batch". I really like this little light and carry it with me always. It may not be a primary EDC but it is a great backup and small enough to tag along.

BigD64

Enlightened
You have to make sure that the light is flashing while hooked to the charger. I missed that the 1st time I tried to charge it. Drove me a bit nuts till I figured I had the contacts reversed.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
You have to make sure that the light is flashing while hooked to the charger. I missed that the 1st time I tried to charge it. Drove me a bit nuts till I figured I had the contacts reversed.

Thanks. I did know that. For the most part, my issue was the opposite. They'd never stop blinking and when I stopped charging them, the voltage would be much less than when I started.