Questions about Polarion PH40 runtime

james l.

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys.

My main priorities for flashlights are definately runtime. I was wonder if there is any difference in runtime between Polarion 35w, 40w and 50w bulbs? If so, by how much? I was led to believe the 40w models could run for approx. 90minutes?

I recently became addicted in flashlights. Bought a boatload of different models from surefire. And recently took delivery of a sf beast II. It runs for around 100 minutes for me without problem. But after looking at compact the polarion ph40 is, i fell in love immediately. The chrome striped version is sooo tasty! :drool:

Was hoping some of you could give some advise regarding this flashlight before buying it. Thx!

Oh and btw, I'm new here :))

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

WOW...Thats a hell of a start ya got there!!:thumbsup:

Lets see some pics of the current collection...:twothumbs

I'don't know runtimes for the PH40, but I REALLY want to try one out! I don't have and HID yet...:thinking:

TheGreyEminence

Newly Enlightened
Also :welcome: from me :)
Just a few days ago i used my stopwatch to measure the runtime of the 40 Watt Polarion i own.Result: 87 minutes non-stop....not that bad!

If you got the money ( which i suppose you have when buying a Beast II *g*), get yourself a Polarion PH40...you won´t be disapointed.

Kind regards

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
james:

Welcome to the forum and the world of high quality toys!

Surefire makes excellent products.

Runtime vs. Output is one of the overall factors that many manufacturers try to balance out.

Our new PH50 will seriously out gun the SF Beast II with respect to output, but you pay for that output with a reduction in runtime. We could increase battery size but then you loose the form factor in terms of a relatively small light in the power range.

The lamps on the the current PH/PF40's, X1 and P2 are the same. It is the ballast output that is different on these systems.

We rate the runtimes of the current Polarion systems as follows:

PH/PF40 (40-watt systems): 80 minutes+/- 10%
X1 (35 watt system): 90 minutes +/- 10%
P2 (35 watt systems): 90 minutes +/- 10%

The new runtime matrix with the introduction of the new 50-watt ballast to be included in the PH/PF series and the new higher capacity battery and higher capacity batteries will change.

Here is what I have been told:

PH/PF50 (50-watt) with current battery: 72 minutes +/- 10%
PH/PF50 (50-watt) with higher capacity battery: 83 minutes +/- 10%

X1 (40-watt) with current battery: 80 minutes +/- 10%
X1 (40-watt) with higher capacity battery: ??? minutes

P2 (35-watt/unchanged) - with current battery: 90 minutes +/- 10%
P2 (35-watt/unchanged) - with higher capacity battery: ??? minutes

New batteries and new ballasts with respect to availability/delivery unknown at this point.

Last edited:

james l.

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome guys! :)

Still learning to use this forum and how to post pics. :ohgeez:

I will post some pics later.

Last edited:

james l.

Newly Enlightened
Ken, thanks for the indepth on the different runtimes. As I've already been using Beast II, I can savely the somewhere in the same range from the Polarion would be more then enough for me. I believe the SF is a 35w ballast? Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I for one would like to have the best of both world while compromising on the side. I don't mind the size of Beast II at all. If only SF could have included the handle like Polarion's PH series. That little handle is ingenious with torchlights sized like this.

Is it possible to have a Polarian PH35 or PH40 with a runtime of around 120minutes Ken? I'm talking about a custom battery that will be capable of running at that runtime. I am sure a lot of users wouldn't mind since the Polarion is so much smaller as compare to Beast II. You could market it as an XT model (extended) thus size being larger as well.

I really want a polarion but the run time is slight short since there is no included 12lumen leds like the beast II has. Therefore if I'm using the Polarion, I would be force to carry a spare battery for it.

Btw, I'm in the construction field and I inspect a lot of night shifts. I fell in love with Beast II at how well it could find leakages and cracks for me under buildings and foundations. On my nightly normal usage of combining led and hid usage from my beast II, I could get around 3 1/2 hours of runtime. This is around 120minutes of led usage and 90 minutes of hid usage. I have so far not tried going 100% hid for the whole night though I have managed around 100minutes one night before switching to led again. I read somewhere on the forum it runs for about 110 minutes continous on HIDs?

Also as for the polarion Ken, does 90 minutes mean useable light of 90minutes? Or it starts to dim at certain point? Sorry I'm a total noob in all flashlight technologies. I'm just a new avid collector. :)

Last edited:

james l.

Newly Enlightened
Oh and one more thing Ken, I'm thinking of getting altogether 5 for my company including one for myself. I am currently located in Singapore. Do you ship to singapore? I dont mind paying air freights since its the only way to ensure the items will arrive safely.

Or do you already have a distributor here? Thanks again!

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
A P2 with a high capacity battery should be pretty close to 120 minutes.

No problem shipping to your location.

The runtime is continuous, no gradual drop.
When these things drop out, they drop out like candle being blown out.

james l.

Newly Enlightened
Is there any difference between X1 and P2 apart from physical dimension size?

Also is 35w ballast available in PH40 frame? Making its PH35?

And is the new higher capacity battery available soon or now?

Ken, how do I order? Or could you give me pm me your business email so that my company purchasing department can contact you regarding bulk purchase. Thanks!

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
In theory I could special order PH35's (I think) if that is what you really want.

P2 and X1's share electronic internals. Battery/Body obviously different.

Waiting on the word for the higher capacity batteries. I am anxious as everybody else to now when.

Email: [email protected]

james l.

Newly Enlightened
Last few questions before I go ahead with purchase.

Would a special PH35 on a PH40 body give a noticeable runtime increase? Say the current PH40 is rated at 85mins. What would you say the runtime be for PH35?

And second thing is, I just want to reconfirm that the newer higher capacity battery will be inter compatible with the current PH40/X1 series correct? Pardon me for being ignorant. I do believe I've read this somewhere but it would be more reassuring with you confirming it.

I dont wanna spend money on something I bought which is not the right specfications later.

Thanks again. Will be emailing you soon as I made up my mine which line up to get.

Regards,

JL

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
With the current batteries:
A 50-watt Polarion - 72 mins of runtime +/- 10%
A 40-watt Polarion - 80 mins of runtime +/- 10%
A 35-watt Polarion - 90 mins of runtime +/- 10%

Higher capacity battery:
50-watt Polarion will give you 83 mins +/- 10%

From there I can ESTIMATE
A 40-watt Polarion - 92 mins of runtime +/- 10%
A 35-watt Polarion - 103 mins of runtime +/- 10%

Again, I don't know when the higher capacity batteries will be available or what the price point is.

larryk

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. If the PH40 is what your most interested in, my suggestion would be to carry a spare battery pack. Only take seconds to swap out.