Surefire guy converting to Maglite?

generic808

Enlightened
Well, not quite. I love my SF's and wouldn't give them up for anything. I do, however, want to convert my old Mag 3D to something I can actually use. I don't need a super high powered flame thrower, but I would like some nice useable LED light from it. I know Malkoff probably makes the best drop-in's, however, I really don't want to spend that much if I could even get one.

I was considering the Terralux since I've been reading that it's the best bang-for-the-buck out there. Just a couple of questions if you guys would be so kind to answer. Trust me, I've searched and searched, but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

1) I'd like to power my mag with AA to D adapters but was wondering if 3 AA's is enough to power the Terralux TLE6EXB? Would I get the same brightness just with a shorter runtime, or would it be underpowered and dimmer?

2) If I can get ahold of (3) three AA's to D adapter, would using 9 AA's be too much power for the TLE6EX which is for 4-6 D's?

3) What other (inexpensive & easy to access) battery mods is available to power a 3D mag?

Sorry for so many questions. I just can't seem to find anything using the search. Any and all help would be great! I'd like to awaken this 3D but don't want to spend over $30-$40~ish doing so. Thanks in advance.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magLED drop in isn't bad, not the brightest but it's very usable and the batteries last forever. Haven't tried the terralux drop ins but I'm thinking of aquiring the electrolumens mag drop in module ~160usd. Supposed to be some 1000 lumens with a 4 hour runtime, all on the 3 standard D cell batteries.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Instead of using 1xAA to D adapters, you could use 2xAA to D parallel adapters for a little more capacity. If you're a little crafty, you can use the battery tops off old D cells and fit 12 AA's in place of 3D's (4AA's in parallel in place of one D). Voltage is the same in all setups, but you get more capacity.

generic808

Enlightened
Aww...thanks again, Marduke! I was looking for 2 AA adapters but couldn't find any. I found the single and triple, but never the double. I'll be ordering those along with a few other things I needed. I already have 2 open orders with DX, but I guess I'll have to open a 3rd :ironic:

BTW you wouldn't happen to know what mm size lens the 6P and G2 have, would you? And what mm size O-ring would fit between the bezel and body of a 6P?

jezzyp

Enlightened
If you're a little crafty, you can use the battery tops off old D cells and fit 12 AA's in place of 3D's (4AA's in parallel in place of one D). Voltage is the same in all setups, but you get more capacity.

How do I hack up D cells? Hacksaw??
I'd be grateful for some tips on how to do this.

Marduke

Flashaholic
How do I hack up D cells? Hacksaw??
I'd be grateful for some tips on how to do this.

If you take something like an old used up carbon zinc or alkaline D cell, you can peel off the wrapping and pry it apart. Depending on the cell, usually the top will pop right off. Once you get it partially apart and some of the gunk out (wear gloves and eye protection), you will be able to see how to take it apart the rest of the way. But when you use this method in your light, you have to insulate the sides of the separators between levels of batteries so you don't short everything out.