Salesman eats his foot.

maxa beam

Banned
Well, a few days ago I recieved my Novatac 120P black body. (Love it, very good watertight seal, durable.. etc.)
There was this salesman that showed up who also sold Kirby vacuums, but also had a light he claimed could outshine anything of the same size. Some old incan with Denver or Denivon or something on the side. A challenge I couldn't resist.

It was admittedly pretty bright, but nothing amazing. Also many times larger than the Novatac. It had a typical pie tin reflector and cheap looking bulb, and you just know the runtime would be disgusting. It had a typical donut hole at close range but was a fair thrower.
Well, I pull my 120P out of my pocket and say, "Okay. This light can beat it."
He does the usual scoff-laugh. Must of though it was a minimag or something.

Well, I turn it on beside the spotlight-flashlight incan and he stops laughing. The beam was infinitely better, a sooth, non-harsh tint, no dark spots or donut holes, just a hotspot that slowly fades tranquilly into the corona of the beam. One of the most admirable parts of the light. The other thing, however, had a thousand bright lines due to smudges and reflector imperfections, and had a huge donut-hole. Novatac wins.
The output was amazingly better on the Novatac side, believe it or not. (I wouldn't of expected less, considering the incan looked like a Wal-Mart thrift.) Win again. Well, we shine them down the hall and there's a dim hotspot at the end from his incan, with no flood visible. The 120P reached the end with little trouble and illuminated the surroundings gorgeously on the way. A great demonstration of the beam's effectiveness.

In the end, I gained even more respect for my new 120P and the salesman ate his words and asked where I got the 120P.
I could only smugly reply with; "Flashaholics find ways."
I sent him on his merry way with a confused look plastered to his face, and his sale catch fairly well decimated by a few-inch light.
A good day, don't you think?
I'm just waiting for a power outage.

(I would of showed him my Acro X990, but it'd be overkill.)

Last edited:

maxa beam

Banned
Haha, good idea.
It's always funny when budding flashaholics in the "I know everything" stage take on more advanced flashers. I once had a guy with a Terralux dropin on a M@g tell me it could beat my Beast II.

IcantC

Enlightened
Haha, good idea.
It's always funny when budding flashaholics in the "I know everything" stage take on more advanced flashers. I once had a guy with a Terralux dropin on a M@g tell me it could beat my Beast II.

:bow:mad:Beast II... Usually people do scoff @ the smaller lights. I had a friend say his Eveready 2D yellow plastic light was brighter than the small SF Z2 with Q5 dropin... The difference was night and day!

maxa beam

Banned
:bow:mad:Beast II... Usually people do scoff @ the smaller lights. I had a friend say his Eveready 2D yellow plastic light was brighter than the small SF Z2 with Q5 dropin... The difference was night and day!
I could imagine so, nothing like Crees to give you some bang for size. I guess they grew up around cheap, cheap, cheap incans and they find something SLIGHTLY less cheap and go crazy over it.. Untill they run into a flashaholic.

Oh, and yeah, the Beast II is quite impressive. I'm bringing it with me floundering (Spearing flounder in pitch-black wading conditions. Delicious fish, amazing light test oppertunity.) when I go to Alabama again next week.

davidt

Enlightened
What was the approximate size of the salesman flashlight? What other flashlight could you compare size to?

What was the sales pitch that involved flashlight?

maxa beam

Banned
It was about the size of an iron. You know, the un-wrinkling sort. o.o
Sales pitch? Uh, that it was bright, I guess.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Excellent! i've got to ask though... how much was he asking for this "unbeatable light"? did u tell him how much your novatac cost?

would have loved to see his face!

maxa beam

Banned
Excellent! i've got to ask though... how much was he asking for this "unbeatable light"? did u tell him how much your novatac cost?

would have loved to see his face!
I recall it being sixtysomething dollars. Quite rediculous for it's performance.

No, I didn't tell him. I was enjoying the moment too much.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
I recall it being sixtysomething dollars. Quite rediculous for it's performance.

No, I didn't tell him. I was enjoying the moment too much.

so the price of a new Fenix...

Could have been interesting if there was another flashaholic there!

Well done though, i'm sure he'll have to re-think his sales pitch from now on!

revance

Newly Enlightened
Great Story!

Only thing that could have made it better would be if you had responded with something along the lines of...

"If your vacuums suck as much as your lights, I might be interested in one".

:nana:

$65 for a clothes iron size light that sucked that bad? Wow.

maxa beam

Banned
Great Story!

Only thing that could have made it better would be if you had responded with something along the lines of...

"If your vacuums suck as much as your lights, I might be interested in one".

:nana:

$65 for a clothes iron size light that sucked that bad? Wow.

Probably since he thought it could beat everything else.

Illum

Flashaholic
Nothing quite that effective but I've made the comparison once when a HVAC guy came into my workplace [Library] checking out the chiller pump which was housed in this corner of the building and lighted only by a single tube florescent overhead some 10 feet high. His Eveready industrial 2D was of the same size as my M6 [thankfully with the MN15 installed at that time]
yeah, I couldn't resist either, the poor guy checked his light a couple times to make sure it was on. ;)
He wasn't bothering me, I had no reason to be in the engineering room to begin with...but I told him aside from shelving books I also manage security [not exactly a lie since we don't have a position for that anyway :grin2:]

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Funny story, maxabeam.

I almost did something similar today, though not with a salesman. I was with a co-worker when we found ourselves in a dark area and he pulled out his wall worn minimag with weak batteries. I had my Fenix Q5 with me and I actually had my hand on it, ready to pull it out and offedr it to him when I thought "nah, I like this guy and I don't want to embarrass him." So I held back.
;)

LG&M

Enlightened
That's a good story. Today at work after looking at a problem with a engineer and supervisor and using my Jetbeam C-le (They had a Mag light)I said I have one more question. Why is my pocket light brighter then your D-cell Mag? They didnt have that answer either:whistle:

greenstuffs

Banned
I usually don't go around waving my flashlights like light sabers in star trek however that situation required special treatment.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Great story man, you should have done a "I'll shine my light in your eyes and you can shine yours in mine" situation than flipped it. But I don't understand what kind of sales pitch that is, especially for a guy selling vaccums.

-Evan