What LED module will survive in G2?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to put together a light in a G2 with Nitrolon head but I would like to know what module would work without overheat issues? The M60L and M60LL look like they could do the job but I would like to know the specs on them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

roymail

Enlightened
The M60L would be at the top of the list but there are many options as you'll find out when you do a search.

An inexpensive place to begin is the DX #6090. :grin2: For $10.00 it'll be tough to find a better drop in.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of the drop ins will work fine...some have a problem fitting perfectly.
I have the DX seoul drop in - in mine and like it a lot. Some reguire a bit of adjusting to get the outside to make a connection.
Good luck http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4068
It also depends on how you use it. ! hour on ...yes, they'll get hot. Set it down while on...hotter still. My G2 does conduct heat- just not as well as a metal body light.

Last edited:

Wattnot

Enlightened
An expensive place to begin is the DX #6090. :grin2:

Email/text is so hard to read sometimes! Is this a typo, where you perhaps meant to say "inexpensive," or sarcasim, where you might mean "once you buy one you'll discover XX problem and have to buy something else resulting in even more total outlay?"

Does anyone know the current draw of the 6090 sku at DX? I believe the current draw is what will matter in the end. If you're yankin an amp (or close to it) from the batteries with an LED drop-in, it's gonna get hot in the G2. If you are at 1/2 an amp, you should be okay. At least that is what I'm gathering from my research here. :whistle:

roymail

Enlightened
My apologies, Wattnot... yes, it's a typo. Sorry, I get in a hurry sometimes and don't proof read. Anyone else do that...?

The DX #6090 is a very good drop-in for the money. Again, I recommend that as a good starting place.

And, Lighthouse one is correct about the fitting issue. I had no problem with my 6P but I had to do a little adjusting with a G2. :wave:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hows the construnction on sku6090? Is it another hot glue job or something more durable?

I've been very tempted to pick up a DX drop-in for my G2, but its my glovebox light, sees very little actual use, but absolutely MUST work when I use it.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some 6090s. They are of exceptional quality for the price. The emitters are mounted with heatsink silicone and bottoms of the reflectors are covered in epoxy to prevent shorting of the emitter. The brass of the module gets quite warm, but this is to be expected as brass has a lower specific heat than aluminum, on par with copper.

I haven't done current draw tests. EDIT: the one I tested draws 590mA @6.22V

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic

roymail

Enlightened
LukeA posted:
I haven't done current draw tests. EDIT: the one I tested draws 590mA @6.22V

Thanks, Luke... no wonder my primaries have lasted so long. Also, I agree that the construction seems to be good. Lots of them in use and I've never read any complaints. For $10... are you kidding me? :ironic:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I just ordered a 6090. I'd like to see a R2 or R6 at 500mah or so in a G2. That would be the sweet spot for me. Add a McE2S switch and have a great all around light....

oregonshooter

Enlightened
I'm using the same dropin "Lighthouse one" mentioned for my work light with Ultrafires and love this light.

it is too bright sometimes for close in work, but I carry a small Fenix for that.

The only issue is that it will not fit well as is. I had to remove the spring, soldier completely around the outer ground path and then relief cut the G2 insert at the top to get more contact points to make it 100%.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Okay . . . this thread seems like the best place to ask this question, and for the answer to benefit all. There are many threads running around about drop-ins and such but the G2 presents the unique problem of heat dissipation because it's made with an insulator!

I'm going to limit this question to the DX LED drop-ins. We all know the Malkoff M60L and LL will work best in the G2 but it costs 68 bucks shipped and is difficult to get.

The drop-in threads are very well done - but the differences between all of the units are not all listed. DX has at least 1/2 a dozen single mode drop-ins that should work in the G2. I don't mind a little fitting work: I had to hack the crap out of an LF HO9 to get it to work in my WE Raider. The 6090 from DX seems to be the one mentioned most - but does anyone here know if that is the BEST 10 buck choice for the G2? Single mode seems to make the most sense because the G2 offers a momentary button and a twist to stay on. It would be really impractical to try and use a multi-mode drop-in with a stock G2. Changing the tailcap is an option but then with all of those issues, buying a new light becomes an easier and cheaper option!

So is there an all knowing soul here who can bang the gavel and just say "this is the best one, period?"

Thanks!:wave:

jbviau

Enlightened
Wattnot, just FYI, I've been successfully using a multimode drop-in in my G2 for quite a while, so maybe you shouldn't rule them out. It's not complicated to operate. Mine was on the expensive side (Wolf Eyes), but there are much cheaper multimodes out there from what I've read.

Wattnot

Enlightened
So what do you do, "press-press-twist" or something similar? Yes, I imagine that could work okay but the G2's are the first lights I leave out for family - or they are in the cars, etc. While you or I could handle that type of UI with little to no trouble, I'd rather "KISS" (that means: keep it simple so-and-so!) for the "unenlightened" in my life!

:)

roymail

Enlightened
So is there an all knowing soul here who can bang the gavel and just say "this is the best one, period?"

Wattnot, I'm no all knowing soul but I just can't imagine a better P60 drop-in w/output of 80-100 lumens (approx. 600mA at 6V) for $10 than the DX#6090. I'm not sending mine back! But for a multimode, I'd take a serious look at the Dereelight drop-ins. :wave:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im still trying to find a good DX dropin for my G2, nobody has a straight answer. I gave up asking. I am not a modder, i cant go grind this, solder that, stretch this... i just need a dropin

Spypro

Enlightened
I'm looking for a G2 drop-in too.
The DX drop-in sku.1343 looks great (regulation) but the output is ~80 lumens from what I saw on the forum. I think for 10$ it is a great deal.
I was told to look at Dereelight drop-in. They look great but I don't know if they can cause a heat issue in the G2 (not the G2L).
If output is not an issue, maybe the DX drop-in is ok for almost all type of works.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of them i see, people talk about taking parts off and grinding things. I just want to buy a dropin, and ... well drop the f kin thing in and leave it alone. Its so hard, i dont want to spend on one that i know needs manipulation to get it to work. i dont need to jerry rig a product that should work anyway.