Shock, Despair, then Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I just wanted to share my newbie flashaholic experience with you.

I've been a closet "light" junkie for years now. Buying M@gs from Solitaires to 3Ds and thinking they were the ultimate, yet always wanting more than their pitiful little bulbs could provide. Then I discovered Pelican lights with their tough polymer bodies and powerful lamps. One day, I learned of Surefire and found that lights could indeed be tools of a higher order. And so came the 9P. The ultra handy, dependable and long-running Pal Survival lights have sat on my nightstand for years.

Now, some time later, I discovered this bulletin board and suddenly I felt like I had stepped out of the dark, so to speak, and into the light. Arcs, Blasters, Badboys...so much to learn, so much to covet. Suddenly, the limit was sky high.

And so, after researching, I bought an Arc AAA LE, then a CMG Infinity Ultra, then an Opalec Newbeam. All great little items. The Arc was built like a piece of fine German weaponry and threw a bizarre amount of light for something that sits comfortably and invisibly in the coin pocket of my jeans. The CMG now resides with my wife and is her "get up and check the baby" light. Built solidly though not to the stunning extent of the Arc. The Newbeam is just a fabulous little piece of engineering. Regulated, bright, cost effective.

Then the seduction became an obsession. Arc LSH-P, you were my new siren. So off went the order and the anticipation began. And when it finally was in my hands, I was...stunned, not with wonder but with dread and disappointment. Sure it was small, but it was hard to hold the light and work the clickie switch even with my small hands. Sure it was bright, but my 9P/P91 demolished it. Yes it was built, but the knurling was slippery. Why didn't they give it the same grippy knurling as on the AAA? The carrying case was overpriced and the belt loop was too large. Thoughts swirled through my mind. I spent so much yet now I was filled with doubt. And so I put it up for sale.

Just a few nibbles but no bites. So I decided to use it until I could sell it. And then I dropped it on the concrete floor of my garage. Ding! Now I had to live with it. And so I took it with me to a club meeting, used it to light up some cars and their mods in a dark garage. Oohs and ahhs ensued. Maybe it's not so bad after all. Then I used it to light a dark path on campus. Wow, this much light was coming from something that could hide in the palm of my hand? I'm starting to like it.

And so here I am, a few days later, coming to a new equilirbium with this special tool. I ordered a 2AA pack for longer runtime and better grip. And so it would fit in my RipOffs holster. I ordered a SF beam shaper so I can create my first mod, a bezel protector/holographic diffuser for the light. Now I'm looking into the Powerex AA NiMHs as power.

I guess the LSH-P does have a place in my kit after all. I still think it's a bit overpriced, but the engineering is solid and I expect to use the hell out of it. No mere "man jewelry" here.

I guess that's it for now. While I may not be a dyed-in-the-wool flashaholic, yet, I am realizing I can significantly stretch the envelope of lighting performance well beyond what I knew. Options are there I could not have entertained otherwise. it may be along dark road, but now there's going to be a blazing white spot lighting the way.

Wilkey

Flow

Newly Enlightened
"The Arc was built like a piece of fine German weaponry and threw a bizarre amount of light for something that sits comfortably and invisibly in the coin pocket of my jeans."

That had me laughing for quite a while before I could read the rest of the post. That's the best one line review I have ever seen. Gransee should put that on his site.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Wilkey,

I also had problems with the 123 battery case for my ARC LSH-P. I got the 2 AA battery case and everything just fell into place. This light is my favorite LED light, and now it fits in my hand - "Just Right!"

Tom

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prices are due to the fact that the Arc LS is still an evolving light, and is not mass produced (like Mag mass production). The quality is extremely high, but that is what to expect from Mr. Gransee: he's a perfectionist. I have 2 first run rev1 Arc LSes and love them both.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear where you guys are coming from. I guess part of it was getting over the sticker shock. I love the 2AA pack. I also understand that the LS is a boutique product. And as such, it's developmental costs are amortized over a fairly small sales base.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
For SilverFox and Ginseng (and anyone else that has a view on this) - - -

Both of you seem to prefer the 2AA battery holder to the 123 holder.

I'm thinking about getting a 2AA holder. Would like to know what it is about the 2AA that you like.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use
1. It fits the hand better during use. The clickie is perfectly positioned for thumbing while maintaining a full four-finger grip. The 123 clickie pack is very hard to hold and activate without applying a deathgrip and putting your thumb in an awkward position.

Carry
1. It fits in my RipOffs CO-80 holster in which I also carry my Leatherman Wave. The Arc belt holster that fits the 123 pack frankly sucks. If you prefer to keep it in your pocket, then the shorter pack is preferable. But it is too fat for my pockets. While the 123 pack has a split ring hole, I find it really too heavy as it keeps banging into my hip.

Output
1. You get 3:15 or more of max runtime with 2XAA lithiums versus 2:15 with the single CR123. And the light is measureably, though probably not noticeably, brighter with the 2AA pack.

How's that?

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great help. I hadn't thought about the issue of gripping it, but I can visualize what you're saying. (I don't have my LS yet. It's on order.) Yep. The 123 pack is short.

And, I didn't realize that the light intensity would be greater. I presumed that the total voltage would be the same from each battery pack. Perhaps the voltage of the 2 AAs is greater under load because of the greater capacity ion mW Hours?

Thanks for your input.

Paul

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_W said:
For SilverFox and Ginseng (and anyone else that has a view on this) - - -

Both of you seem to prefer the 2AA battery holder to the 123 holder.

I'm thinking about getting a 2AA holder. Would like to know what it is about the 2AA that you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost NEVER use the 123 pack - The 2AA pack lives on my LS. It's the right size for my hands, and batteries are easy to get and cheap

The LS with the 123 pack has a problem. It's a little TOO big to throw in your pants packet a la the ARC AAA. So, all of a sudden, you need a holster, or you have to put it in a cargo/jacket pocket. Once you do that, there is no reason NOT to go to the size of the 2AA pack - aka, about the size of a Minimag.

That and the fact that it goes all the way across your hand. I think the 1x cr123 is an awkward size

Status
Not open for further replies.