SSC Mag mod gone wrong... but how?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I was doing the lux3 -> ssc swap on the magled module just a few minutes ago, and everything was looking good. Had the polarities marked, had the copper tabs fitted nicely and soldered on well... So I plug it in and...

NO LIGHT. OK, figure I fried the module with a no load on. Wrong, the Lux3 went back in and lit up fine. Testing on the ssc shows the led went bad on me, infinite ohms through the led. Whats the deal? Maybe I over heated it? Or got some solder ot arctic alumina in where it shouldnt have been? I really dont know, but I'm p1ssed that I gotta wait another month now for a SSC from DX :oops:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you test the LED before installing? Maybe it was DOA. LED's are extremely forgiving and I doubt you "overheated" it. More likely, it didn't work from the getgo.

I recommend you order your LED from photonfanatic instead of DX. He has extremely fast service, great person to deal with.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Silly question, but did you try reversing the SSC? I read somewhere that some of the SSC's that DX has are reversed

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did test it initially, and it lit up with my ohmeter to each lead. I also tried reversing it in the magled but that did not help.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it shorted out on the slug.

You should have tested for continuity before powering it up.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one go intermittant - since the dome is pliable silicone, I guess I managed to jiggle it enough to break a die bond wire. You can see the wires through the silicone, going from the phosphor dish to the outside perimeter. I'm guessing you broke a wire, assuming no slug isolation issue.

HVAC

Newly Enlightened
I think I did the same thing you did. The meter I used ran off of a 9volt battery. I would test the soeul to make sure it was good and like yourself it would light up. I would then install it and nothing. After doing this several times I thought about it and tried using a different meter that ran off of 2 AA batteries and my expensive problem was solved.
Cheers

Cydonia

Enlightened
So what happened? Was the SSC fried? Or was it contacting the MagLED metal can? :popcorn:
It's good to hear of more and more people trying this mod! Good luck!

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led is toast, put it to a 14500 li-ion and nothing, so I think I did something bad somewhere...

Illum

Flashaholic
Silly question, but did you try reversing the SSC? I read somewhere that some of the SSC's that DX has are reversed

no polarity differences....but DX included 2 duds in an order of 6:mad:
it was shipped in a bubble lined envelope, not even the usual LED carton...i presume they were squashed to death :rolleyes:

did you test your LED before installation?

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, snagged two USV0H bin SSC's off photonfanatic, and they arrived today :D

Installed without a hitch, although it was a PITA getting the copper tabs aligned properly. I'll have beam shots compared to stock (both with UCL) tonight, but man I'm not sure how much brighter it is, but the TINT improvement is HUGGGEEEE!

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well here are a couple of green-wall beam shots (green wall because, well, thats what color my walls are!)

Stock 3D magled w/ UCL (day mode and nightmode, respectively):

3D magled with SSC P4 USV0H and UCL (day then night mode):