2008 Inova T4

iced_theater

Enlightened
I don't have the T4, but do have the T5 which should be pretty close.

I just barely got it today and haven't used it hardly at all, but did try and do a quick comparison between it, my Fenix T1 with Q5 and Fenix P3DCE with P4.

It seemed to be just as bright as the T1 with slightly more throw to it. Also had a nice warm tint compared to the almost purple tint of the T1 or blue tint of the P3DCE. The P3D didn't hold a candle to either of those lights in throw or overall output either.

BMF

Enlightened
I don't have the T4, but do have the T5 which should be pretty close.

I just barely got it today and haven't used it hardly at all, but did try and do a quick comparison between it, my Fenix T1 with Q5 and Fenix P3DCE with P4.

It seemed to be just as bright as the T1 with slightly more throw to it. Also had a nice warm tint compared to the almost purple tint of the T1 or blue tint of the P3DCE. The P3D didn't hold a candle to either of those lights in throw or overall output either.

There are a few threads saying the P3D is very impressive in brightness but after reading your post I just wonder ... I got the T5 last week and it's rated at 200 lumens while P3D is at 215 lumens but not good enough to T5? They said Fenix don't over rate their lumens so the T5 is actually about 250 lumens? I don't have any thing to measure the brightness so I'm not sure.

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love mine i am about to get the T5 & T3

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input.

I'm trying to choose between the new Inova T4 and the Pelican 7060 LAPD for police duty light to replace my issued SL-20XP (we call them NERF lights because their made of plastic and break surprisingly easily).

There are plenty of differences between the two lights: materials, switch features, emitter types, etc. The only deciding factor that I care about at this point is throw; which one shines more light further than the other? I believe the pelican's smooth and deep reflector is designed for maximum throw, and while the T4 has a textured reflector it does have a very warm tint which should penetrate haze and humidity better than most LED's (sense light at the blue end of the spectrum is diffused by atmosphere more than light at the red end).

Unless manufacture's start rating their lights by candle power again, it's going to be hard to tell which lights have more throw based on lumens alone. If anyone out there happens to have BOTH these lights and can do a side-by-side comparison, please give me a heads up because I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

ledaholic

Enlightened
I received mine yesterday. I have to say this is a really great light, from the new switch/UI to the new emitter. The UI is really easy and very intuitive. The tint of the K2 is on the warm side, almost incandescent looking. I have all three T4 models, I upgraded the TIROS model with a Seoul P4 which made it much better than the reflector version. The 2008 model puts it to shame, I'd say 170 lumen is pretty close. I have no regrets getting this light.

Bob

Wicho

Enlightened
If it's throw you're after, get the 7060. Throws much better than the T4.

All around, the T4's beam is more useful. Well, IMHO.
Thanks for the input.

I'm trying to choose between the new Inova T4 and the Pelican 7060 LAPD for police duty light to replace my issued SL-20XP (we call them NERF lights because their made of plastic and break surprisingly easily).

There are plenty of differences between the two lights: materials, switch features, emitter types, etc. The only deciding factor that I care about at this point is throw; which one shines more light further than the other? I believe the pelican's smooth and deep reflector is designed for maximum throw, and while the T4 has a textured reflector it does have a very warm tint which should penetrate haze and humidity better than most LED's (sense light at the blue end of the spectrum is diffused by atmosphere more than light at the red end).

Unless manufacture's start rating their lights by candle power again, it's going to be hard to tell which lights have more throw based on lumens alone. If anyone out there happens to have BOTH these lights and can do a side-by-side comparison, please give me a heads up because I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My T4 has a cool tinted led. I wouldn't mind swapping it for a T4 with warm tint, if any are out there. The T4 is far more floodier a light than many others, like many of the P60 based LAs. If throw is your main objective, you might want to go with the Pelican. That said, I really like this new T4.

iced_theater

Enlightened
There are a few threads saying the P3D is very impressive in brightness but after reading your post I just wonder ... I got the T5 last week and it's rated at 200 lumens while P3D is at 215 lumens but not good enough to T5? They said Fenix don't over rate their lumens so the T5 is actually about 250 lumens? I don't have any thing to measure the brightness so I'm not sure.

I have a P3D with a P4 bin LED and not the newest Q5's. It's rated at 160 lumens on turbo mode versus the Q5 version at 215 lumens on turbo.

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
Modern_Major_General

Received my Inova T5 today so can share some observations against my Pelican 7060--hope they help.
T5 beam tint is a lot warmer than 7060-yellowish like an incan
T5 beam is a lot smoother-no rings
7060 has tighter hot spot and throws further but T5 is still no throw slouch
I prefer feel of 7060 in hand (reasonably large hand) as it is slightly heavier and has a thicker body
7060 switch is easier to use esp. momentary
T5 probably is more usable for majority of people with 3 functions and more usable beam pattern.

Regards Stewart

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
Modern_Major_General

Received my Inova T5 today so can share some observations against my Pelican 7060--hope they help.
T5 beam tint is a lot warmer than 7060-yellowish like an incan
T5 beam is a lot smoother-no rings
7060 has tighter hot spot and throws further but T5 is still no throw slouch
I prefer feel of 7060 in hand (reasonably large hand) as it is slightly heavier and has a thicker body
7060 switch is easier to use esp. momentary
T5 probably is more usable for majority of people with 3 functions and more usable beam pattern.

Regards Stewart

Thanks for the comparison! Would you say the two lights are roughly equal in terms of overall brightness?

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
Pretty close--I also have the Fenix T1 and all 3 seem to be close in overall output to the naked eye-just with variations in tint and pattern.Until a breakthrough in technology happens i think these top end lights wont vary too much.
Stewart

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just got a new T5 today and its a little weird the switch does sound like my T4 seems to have like a delayed clicking. also doesn't seem to be as bright as my new T4 . I think i need to talk to inova.

Xak

Enlightened
I received mine yesterday. I have to say this is a really great light, from the new switch/UI to the new emitter. The UI is really easy and very intuitive. The tint of the K2 is on the warm side, almost incandescent looking. I have all three T4 models, I upgraded the TIROS model with a Seoul P4 which made it much better than the reflector version. The 2008 model puts it to shame, I'd say 170 lumen is pretty close. I have no regrets getting this light.

Bob

I have an old T3 TIROS and an extra Seoul P4. Is it possible for a newbie to upgrade it? I asked on the "mods" section and general consensus was that it wouldn't fit in the heatsink and the driver would be destroyed by the "freeze pop" method.

Any suggestions? I like the old TIROS for some applications and would love to make it brighter to keep this old favorite useful.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt notice Your tread in the mod dept.

Unfortunately Your info is right. There is barely a chance to do this for a newbie.
The driver will be cracked, the Seoul does not fit in the sink :)rolleyes:) and the Seoul with its positive slug would short the light.
I am about to do the same (with changing the Tiros which I hate), but its very difficult.

Freeze-pop it, get a driver You like, make a good press-fit sink and use a CREE and a suiting reflector on it
(or a Seoul if You like, but it makes more hassles while being not as good. My personal view)

Xak

Enlightened
Nah, I just wanted to drop the P4 in there (I heard they replace Luxeons perfectly) and keep the same light only brighter. With all that hastle I might as well get a new light.

Is it really that difficult to open? I wanted to at least throw some glow paint on the inside to shine through the TIROS.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
freeze-pop is a nice and easy way.

just fill interior with water (the more You shake, the higher the chance water comes up till the optic, so a slight chance not to break the driver),
put in freezer
take it out, put into warm water to have ice transform back
get water in again
put into freezer
repeat
should take 3-5 times to get the front part out without any damage to the outside parts

Beaky

Newly Enlightened
I have an old T3 TIROS and an extra Seoul P4. Is it possible for a newbie to upgrade it? I asked on the "mods" section and general consensus was that it wouldn't fit in the heatsink and the driver would be destroyed by the "freeze pop" method.

I did exactly this maybe a month ago (I have a TIROS X03, which I believe is identical to the T3) and the emitter fit perfectly in the heat sink and the driver is still working!

I am definitely a newbie too since everything I modded before that was a Petzl Tikka XP, and that is so simple it doesn't even count!

I can't guarantee it will work for you, but it did for me!

ledaholic

Enlightened
The T4 TIROS does not freeze-pop, the head unscrews from the body. A SSC P4 will go right in as long as you isolate the slug. Mine with Seoul is a great light.