Z3 in my hands at last

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My Z3 has arrived and I am happy boy. I had a post 'cameraman needs help' several weeks back. Thanks for everyone's advice. I settled on a Z3 with a beamshaper to provide a remote location light with a soft beam. The beamshaper is better than I could have imagined. The light is a little white for my liking but I am working on that.

The Z3 sits beatifully in my hand. It's funny how the requirements and technology to shoot someone or to take their picture are so similar!

It is hard getting gear like this in Australia. I forget who recomended Tim Flanagan of Nor'east Knives, but thankyou. He is a true gentleman.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whoever recommended Tim Flanagan is a true aficionado of SF dealers, for [email protected] is the best there is.

Davis,
try some of your photo filters out on it. The two standard daylight filters especially have an interesting effect on the beam colour.

Yes, I think the Z3 is the most elegant of all in the SF range. Don't forget that with a Turbohead and an A19, you could run it as a tight-beam 12V light. I'm pretty sure that you can get a beamfilter to the Turbohead diameter.

Or get the A20 body extender and a B65 kit and run it as a rechargeable 6V light.

lightlover

D

**DONOTDELETE**

OK. Now I am curious...an A20 and a B25? Where can I look this up Lightlover? I am still impressed with my Z3...and I can't understand how rarely the model has been discussed on these pages. The shifting grip rings seem like a great idea to me. Is there something about the Z range that people don't like?

Blikbok

Enlightened
Davis: I think the intersection is just the design of the light to be used with one hand and pointed in the same direction as the other.

I am quite happy with my old 6Z. I think the absence of the Z series from the forums is due to most hobbyist wanting the best possible equipment. For example, do we hear much about the C or D series lights either?

Hobbyists can afford one M2 or a M6. The cops have to pay for dozens at a time and cost-justify them. AFAIK, the Z2 is standard issue to the FBI, and I've seen Park Rangers with the Z2 as well.

I'm sure there are many more of the lower-cost, less fancy lights just doing their jobs than there are M-series lights. We just see a disporportionate number of them here.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
A B25 is a WW2 bomber (I think)
smile.gif

Davis,
for some reason, SureFire doesn't capitalise on the versatility of the range. If you check on the SureFire site, there is a little info, but it is not well related to a baffled customer's enquiries.

That said, an A20 is a ~1" long body extender which allows you to use the B65 rechargeable battery in a 3-cell SF.

Normally, with the Z3, a 3-cell torch, you can use the 9V LA's, the P90 105 Lu, or the P91 200 Lu.
If you add an A20, you can use the B65 rechargeable to power the 6V P60 65 Lu for about 40 minutes (not certain about the runtime ?), or the P61 120 Lu for 12-18 minutes, depending on what you read.
(This B65 and P60/P61 arrangement was approved by PK himself incidentally.)

Like many of the SF classic range, the Z3 has a Lexan lens, so be cautious about extended use melting it. If you do choose to buy more gear from SF, get a ~$3 lens replacement kit just in case.

Oh, and if you get a Z20 "blank" 123, you can use the 3-cell as a two cell, giving you some back-up for the 6V LA's.

lightlover

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
hi davis, where are you about in australia?
smile.gif
its glad to see one of the "flashaholic" in australia. :p

hows the z3? i just got 9AN bought from ebay. pretty good, and bright!
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for the delayed response...I have been out of town. Thanks for the advice Lightlover, I am going to try out some of those options. It is a pity Surefire don't make such matters as clear as you do. I am waiting (like everyone else) to see what new lights come out this year before I put any new orders in.

Kalengkong: I have noticed quite a few Australians on this board. A sign of true obsession, given how little our dollar buys. What stuff do you want to get? Maybe we could have a shoot-out one dark Sydney night.