Midget Wrestling with Beamshots

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I finally accumulated a modest selection of small-but-mighty lithium-powered midget flashlights - SureFire G2, Legend LX, Streamlight Scorpion, and Tac-M III. Wish I had an ASP TacLite/Triad, maybe later.

Anyway here is what they look like next to each other (only had a pressure switch for the TAC-M III, which presented some real photography challenges not to mention the skillful use of several toes):

midgets-wire.jpg

And here are the results of the beamshot challenge:

midgets.jpg

All lights were adjusted to their tightest focus (TAC was not adjustable) and all were on fresh 123's. Lights were shined onto the ceiling from about 15 feet below. Not only was the Scorpion the absolute brightest, it also had the biggest hotspot, which was brighter at any point, than the brightest area in any of the other three's hotspots.

This Scorpion and my UltraStinger may be the only two incandescents I'll ever need.

But of course I'll buy more...

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was almost afraid to look... Whew! it's flashlights. <g> Anyway, back on topic, that would not be the results I would have guessed. Might have to reconsider buying the scorpion.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your Scorpion is not anything like mine. The one I have is much for diffuse. Probably the widest beam of any of my 6V lights. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
Your Scorpion is not anything like mine. The one I have is much for diffuse. Probably the widest beam of any of my 6V lights. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TX, have you tried focusing it? And if you did, then perhaps my individual Scorpion might be a real keeper. It is bright, bright, bright...

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
From your pics, would the LX be taking second place?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
From your pics, would the LX be taking second place?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, yes, indeed it would. Funny how the human mind never pays attention to the also-rans...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
All lights were adjusted to their tightest focus (TAC was not adjustable) and all were on fresh 123's. Lights were shined onto the ceiling from about 15 feet below. Not only was the Scorpion the absolute brightest, it also had the biggest hotspot, which was brighter at any point, than the brightest area in any of the other three's hotspots.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Bulk,

I had just finished typing out a detailed and rather lengthy response to your post in reference to the Scorpion vs the TACM III when I accidently deleted it.

In brief,my initial results paralleled yours which surprised and disappointed me. I retested with the same batteries, but using the lamp assembly from my second TACM III. The results were dramatically different.

I'll try to reconstruct that post when I have a little more time and energy.

Brightnorm

ToddM

Enlightened
I've noticed my scorpion is brighter than my 6Z and M2 with P60 bulbs and not quite as bright as a P90. I'd guess it's somewhere in the 80 lumen range.

That's not hard to believe IMO once you realize the bulb life on a scorpion is only 3-5 hours. You can push a bulb quite a bit harder if you only want 1/4 of the bulb life.

If the scorpion could focus down a little more it would be a serious long focus light. As it is the beam is 2x the size of my P60 bulbs with a very consistant hotspot, it seems most of the main beam is the same brightness. So not only do you get a brighter hotspot than a P60 but a larger one. One of the reasons I really like my scorpion is well it's cheap, and the beam on mine is near the same brightness all the way through it's main beam so it's really nice to light up a area since all the light is mostly the same brightness. I also like being able to focus the beam really wide, you can light up most of a room with useable light if need be.

That said I don't think my scorpion will ever replace my surefires. It's lack of being anywhere near waterproof and poor bulb life bother me. I also have a hard time getting the constant on switch pushed in far enough. Bulbs are cheap and I really like the fact it has a spare bulb. But you'd need 4 bulbs to get the same life that a P60 does.

I am impressed with the LX everytime I see a beamshot. I can see I'm going to have to add one of these to the collection as well.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brightnorm,

So the second lamp from another TAC-MIII was a lot brighter? Which would mean the QC is not that consistent?

A good friend owns the leading paintball store here and had discussions with Diamond Products Marketing, Inc., during the development of the TAC-MIII. They told him they wanted to make a 2x123 that was significantly brighter than the SureFire of comparable size. I see on the package of mine that it is rated at 105 Lumens. Maybe I got a bad one, but then again, probably not. This light has been in use since the late 90s when I first got it, and actually in retrospect I realize now that it was used far more than any other light I own, mainly because I had it mounted on a variety of guns, from handguns to scoped rifles, and used those weapons for everything from building searches to night shooting practice to even being mounted on several of my air rifles for night varminting (ratting). So my bulb could be fading, on its last legs. I will have to talk to Russ about getting a new bulb and redoing the comparo...

TAC-2.jpg

TAC-3.jpg

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
.....I will have to talk to Russ about getting a new bulb and redoing the comparo...........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...................son

BN

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wanna know why the Scorpion and the LX are brighter than the SF? Take a look at a couple of tests performed by dano:

P60: 1.1amps @ 4.9volts = 5.39watts
Scorpion: 1.15amps @ 4.98volts = 5.73watts
Legend LX: 1.20amps @ 4.90volts = 5.88watts
E2: 1.07amps @ 4.72volts = 5.05watts

The SFs aren't drawing as much power from the batteries.

rlhess

Enlightened
But the question that comes to mind is why isn't the Legend LX, which is drawing more power than the Scorpion, brighter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the answer is in run time.

You may find the following APPROXIMATE equations of interest:

Lumens = (Vin/Vdesign)^3.38
Watts = (Vin/Vdesign)^1.54
Life = (1/(Vin/Vdesign))^13.1
ColorTemp = ((Vin/Vdesign)^0.42)*Kelvin_Design

For example, doubling the lumen output of a lamp by increasing its voltage requires a voltage increase of 23% which reduces the life to 7% of initial life.

Cheers,

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Would do a run time test but the thought of four superbright superhot little flashlights sitting blazing in my house somewhere for an hour is just too much...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Bulk,

I was thinking of doing just that but the idea of a 65L lamp blazing away for an hour in a very small reflector topped by a vulnerable lexan lens fractions of a inch away from that superhot lamp, and all of it fully enclosed in an airtight container, reminded me that the nearest fire company would still take too long to get here.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

BrightNorm,

Ha! Ha! Ha! Me too!

I'll just believe SF's claims of an hour run time, and I think the others are probably real close. Anyway I don't think these designs were meant to be left on, just short bursts during "tactical" use. Otherwise they'd all have glass lenses. To go for max run times or close up illumination we'd probably use our LEDs...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Someguy,

Then that's good, the SFs are more efficient. Would do a run time test but the thought of four superbright superhot little flashlights sitting blazing in my house somewhere for an hour is just too much...

But the question that comes to mind is why isn't the Legend LX, which is drawing more power than the Scorpion, brighter?

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
Is the brinkmann Legend the one that is sold at walmart? And how much was it? If it wasn't for the looks I'd have a dozen by now..I hear they are great lights..

rlhess

Enlightened
It's the LX and I bought one from Crawford Tool and two from a guy in CPF. They are the only Brinkmann that uses 2 123s.

My three are: kitchen and one in each car. GREAT light for the price.
Cheers,

Richard

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The LX sells for $20 at WalMart. Check my runtime plots for the LX and the Scorpion.