Why hasn't the 2 X AAA forum factor caught on for LED lights? It's so handy!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't we seem to see many lights in the 2 X AAA form factor? I have a River Rock .5W 2AAA light and it's so handy! It's not too short. It's not too fat. It has a pocket clip and the head is nice and small. And it has enough voltage and power to light up an led brightly for a long time. Push the button for on, twist for constant on. Simple!

Why is this size so neglected? I've been looking for a brighter replacement in the 2 AAA alkaline realm and just have not really found anything. I've been looking forward to the Nuwai 2 AAA rebel, but unfortunately I believe it has modes. And I don't see anything about it on their website right now.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, like the 2AAA flashlight format and wish there were more and better choices. The 2AAA form in which the batteries are stacked end-to-end fits well in a back pocket.

So far, I 've tried these 2AAA lights with less than stellar results:

• River Rock 2AAA - too dim and blue
  • UK 2AAA LED - too dim and narrow beam produced by optic
  • Victorinox (Inova) 2AAA - very well built, but no brighter than Arc AAA-P DS and consumes batteries faster

Have not tried the new Streamlight Stylus Pro yet.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've avoided the UK Led because of reports of batteries shorting out. And the side by side battery configuration is nice for certain uses, but not for general use. And of course, no pocket clip. (hat clip though I guess). I had not heard of the Streamlight Super Stylus, but knowing Streamlight, it will probably have an antiquated 20 lumen LED from the dark ages.

I just checked Streamlight's website. Were you referring to the Stylus Pro? Yep looks like an old half watt type led. :sick2: 24 lumens it also says.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

I really hope Nuwai gets it together. I'd feel best of all about buying a USA made Inova 2AAA, but upgraded for 2008 emitters and with a clip.

Last edited:

bitslammer

Enlightened
A side-by-side 2xAAA would be really neat; especially if it would also take 10440s. Small, short, and light enough to be a good pocket EDC but with enough juice to allow real brightness.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both the Streamlight Stylus Pro and the Inova Bolt in 2 AAA configuration. Not sure how "blue" they are, I dont shine many walls and they work very well for my purposes of a nice using hip pocket light.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could never figure out the attraction to 2xAAA lights being a 123a guy until I bought the Streamlight stylus pro. The light goes with me everywhere. Could it be brighter...yes, but for a backup/arround the house light, it is hard to beat. I would love to see a 2xAAA Q5 light made to work well with AAA e2 lithiums though.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk to Peak LED Solutions they don't show any on their site but they are available, give them a ring, you won't be sorry you did.
Norm

Not really what I'm looking for.
5mm leds, twist head, no clip
There are a lot of those lights out there, endless options in fact.
Looking for something in cree/seoul/rebel with a tailswitch and pocket clip.

I believe Peak does make a tailswitch, but I don't think they are compatible with the 2AAA models. Could be wrong though.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like 2xAAA lights. You get the same energy if not more in a 1xAA light, and it's really not fatter enough to be a problem, for me at least. 2xAAA is also too long.

Actually I hate AAAs in general. I only use them whenever it's absolutely essential, otherwise AAs are a much better choice.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seen those awhile back. No clip though. I suppose something could be rigged to it. I'm not that excited about DX light offerings to be honest.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a UK2AAA eled and a UK2AAA incan I put lithium AAAs in and used the head off a $4 dorcy keychain light that has 4 button cells. I modded that light to use a AAA and a different LED.
The UK2AAA with the dorcy head is about as bright but throws a lot better with a nicer beam instead of a spotlight.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm personally not too excited by 2xAAA. I figure if we're going to take up that much space we may as while just go to 2 CR123's, and 18650, or AAs. I only like AAAs for single cell compact key chain applications.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The big problem with AAA batteries has to do with the capacity. Short run time for the volume, and they don't provide a lot of current either. That's why they are frequently mated with lower wattage LEDs.

For EDC I prefer the shorter CR123 based lights. hey have more runtime and are capable of running multi watt LEDs.

Daniel

cv3po

Banned
I don't like 2xAAA lights. You get the same energy if not more in a 1xAA light, and it's really not fatter enough to be a problem, for me at least. 2xAAA is also too long.Actually I hate AAAs in general. I only use them whenever it's absolutely essential, otherwise AAs are a much better choice.

Nope. With LED's becoming more and more efficient the smaller batteries, like AAA's, are coming into there own. I own a Fenix LODQ4 and a Streamlight Microstream and while these are both single AAA's I've also used the Streamlight Stylus Pro and these lights perform VERY well on a fairly low capacity battery. I've found the AA lights (from my very first CMG Infinity) to be too large to fit comfy in my pocket. Tell me that you were not excited about the Arc-AAA when it first came out because it was so much smaller than your Infinity? I know I was. Now we have lights that output 50-60+ lumens off of a single AAA battery and we are calling them weak! :crackup: If you need a tactical light then CR123's might be best. If you need a work light that will see hours of use a day then use AA's. If you need a really compact light that is bright and still has really reasonable battery life then the AAA is a great choice!

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with AA has always been that virtually all "AA" lights are for some unknown reason large enough in diameter (~20mm) to actually hold 123As, which are shorter. If someone actually made an AA sized light, I expect it would be reasonably pocket-friendly.

2xAAA is the perfect shirt pocket size because those pockets are designed to hold similarly sized objects called pens, whereas 1xAAA sized lights simply tend to fall deeply into the pocket and become awkward to fish out.

Recently some very long 1xAAA designs incorporating a clicky have been introduced, but a 2xAAA would be even more comfortable to hold, provided it's not fatter than a bare AA cell.