Nichia Jupiter LED in River Rock Lantern??

Light Thinking

Newly Enlightened
Hello . . .

Can anyone confirm the original "River Rock" lantern used a Nichia Jupiter LED and know the specs for that LED?? (This is the lantern that only has two modes . . . on and flash)

The best info I could find suggest it should be rated at approx. 42 lumens, but is also at only 70 degrees spread, does this sound correct?

My intent . . . to upgrade several to the brightest warm white LED I can manage in the lantern package. I see them sold with P4's in them, but without knowing the original specs, it's hard to tell what kind of increase to expect. Also, without knowing which P4, I'm unsure of the color warmth. The original LED gets pretty harsh to me after a few hours.

I saw the several posts of others who swapped Golden Dragons and SSC LED's with good results.

Depending on the LED chosen, I'll either use the existing regulation, or swap for some regulation circuit design that meets the needs. I also would like to use rechargeables in the lantern, and if I understand correctly, the regulation that is stock will run NiMH batteries below the 1 Volt per cell limit, limiting the life cycles of my batteries. Also, the ability to dim the lantern according to need would be a large plus.

To sum up . . .
  • I'm looking for the specs on output etc. from the original Nichia Jupiter LED - (is it approx 42 lm @ 70 degree spread?)
  • I'm looking for the best choices to up-grade to a warmer - brighter LED.
  • Suggestions on LED's able to be driven from the regulation provided that will meet my requirements
  • If required, I will swap the regulation circuit to achieve . . .
  • The ability to use NiMH batteries without having them drain below 1 Volt a cell
  • The current required for the LED chosen, if higher then the stock LED
  • The ability to dim the lantern when required
  • Ideas for an up-graded circuit if I need it, and feel the added benefits are worth the effort
  • Anyone owning the P4 version of this lantern, thoughts?
  • Ideas on using NiMH cells . . . or should I try a protected Li Ion pack?
THANK's . . . I know I'm asking lot's of questions, but I can't seem to get started without knowing what the original specs are. Looking on Nichia's site, i didn't see the Jupiter series.

THANKS AGAIN!

Light Thinking

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They will all be single die white LEDs, so the driver should work. No need to use different batteries.

I don't know much about the Jupiter. Do you have a picture of the inside of the light? A Seoul P4 U-bin might work. If you get the right bin, the LED should be warm. Overall, the Luxeon Rebel seems to be the warmest out of the current gen LEDs. Crees seem to be whiter and Seouls seem to be creamier.

Well, as for the regulator, you can attach a variable resistance pot so you can change the output. I don't know about a driver that stops at that voltage, but the batteries shouldn't have a problem if they get discharged past 1v(well, to a certain point).

I'm not able to help much with the specifics, sorry.

:welcome: