Holster for cl1h?

ChrisWiggles

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!

First time poster, relatively new here, but quickly learning. I work installing electronics, and am behind equipment racks all day or in dark spaces, and I use my flashlight ALL the time. I'm replacing and L2D which I absolutely love with a dereelight cl1h. I like the holster for the L2D, and I'm looking for a similar kind of belt holster, for my new cl1h. With or without a cover flap would be fine.

I use the holster a whole lot, because it's basically where I put the flashlight when I need to put it down. I actually loved the belt holster that comes with the generic AA minimag and how the mag when into and out of that super easy (better than the fenix holster that comes with my L2D), but the flashlight sucked and the L2d didn't fit in it.

But something very simple that will hold the light securely and not be annoying to get the flashlight into (too tight) or out of (cover that's too annoying to use.)

What's the best holster for me?

Thanks!
-chris

ez2plz

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the same thing. Just got mine a couple of weeks ago, it's a terrific light isn't it.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you already gotten your CL1H? I have one, and I can't see it being useful for use in tight spaces (behind racks and the like) because it isn't floody enough.

ChrisWiggles

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I've gotten it, but haven't used it at work yet. Can't really use it well until I have a holster for it. As I said, I use the L2d, which is also not very floody. However, usually if I need flood, it's bright enough on high that I can just point it at the sides of cabinets and the like and there is plenty of light to see. If I need light for more than moments or two, I just use a clamp-on worklight.

ChrisWiggles

Newly Enlightened
also, I've looked at the ripoffs holsters and the like, which would probably be alright, but just wondering if someone had a good recommendation for "the ONE"... :)

Zenster

Enlightened
While I can see where holsters are nice in some cases, I personally don't get why anyone would want a holster for the CL1H.
One of the features I like about it most is it's very useful clip, and I can't imagine wanting to put it in holster.

Then to add onto another's comment: "I can't see it being useful for use in tight spaces (behind racks and the like) because it isn't floody enough", I totally agree.
The CL1H is best as an outside light and at distance because of it's narrower beam and great throw.
So to roll all this stuff into one thought, a person might consider a Surefire 6P w/Malkoff M60 drop in because it's a great floody and just as bright as the CL1H on high, plus, you'll NEED a holster with the 6P body since it doesn't have a clip.

I think too much. Sorry. :thinking:

ChrisWiggles

Newly Enlightened
No, clip won't work at all because it will just fall off if I loosen it enough to be useful, and using the clip is irritating because my belt is fairly thick, so it is difficult to access on and off. It's either the tight clip so it's too annoying to use, or the loose clip and it falls off while doing rough stuff. It has to be a holster. I don't want to lose my light.

The reason I didn't go for somethign like a surefire is also because of cost, and it's fine without the floodiness. Like I said, the cl1h with the OP reflector isn't that much different than my current l2d with works great. And I like having the clip there to prevent the flashlight from rolling around, something that bothered me about the l2d, even if I don't use the clip too often or ever for actually clipping onto anything.

Don't need a headlight for this stuff.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. My CL1H just sits on the shelf waiting for a new pill to make it usable. :(

Fird

Enlightened
While I can see where holsters are nice in some cases, I personally don't get why anyone would want a holster for the CL1H.
One of the features I like about it most is it's very useful clip, and I can't imagine wanting to put it in holster.

Then to add onto another's comment: "I can't see it being useful for use in tight spaces (behind racks and the like) because it isn't floody enough", I totally agree.
The CL1H is best as an outside light and at distance because of it's narrower beam and great throw.
So to roll all this stuff into one thought, a person might consider a Surefire 6P w/Malkoff M60 drop in because it's a great floody and just as bright as the CL1H on high, plus, you'll NEED a holster with the 6P body since it doesn't have a clip.

I think too much. Sorry. :thinking:

Agreed, I love the clip, but due to an unfortunate stupidity on my part I tore the clip right off. I'm looking for a holster as well simply for protection of the light. I use the clip as much as i can, but when working or expecting to run into things, i'll pocket the light just so it doesn't get torn off my belt. It required a LOT of force to tear the belt clip, but it's possible. Oh, btw, Alan sent me a new clip for FREE!! w00tness.

And who says it can't be a behind-rack light, it's a p60 :p. I'm in the process of tracking down a nice floody, low-output p60 unit so i can have the best of both worlds, the nice floody beam for at work, and the holy-crap beam for whenever else.

Fird

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
Dealextreme has several different inexpensive flashlight holsters available. If you check the measurements given on the website, I'm sure that you will be able to find one that fits.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno about you guys, but I like my Ripoffs holster, though it's more than a little re-purposed. I stuffed the flap on mine into the holster proper, and it's an excellent open-top bezel-up holster for a 6P. I think this was originally for a multitool or something like that. The knurling is kinda chewing up the flap though. All in all, I'm pretty fond of my Rip-Offs, though the clip is apparently designed for like a 2" belt.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
also, I've looked at the ripoffs holsters and the like, which would probably be alright, but just wondering if someone had a good recommendation for "the ONE"... :)

Get the Ripoff CO 30, it matches the CL1H perfectly :twothumbs

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened
durability? I have a nasty tendency to destroy nylon holsters (maybe that's why the clip died too..

Ripoffs are generally of very good and sturdy quality (and 'Made in USA').
Of course, you might destroy any holster, but for that case just get several ones as they are not very expensive (about 9 $US), and if you've killed one after many months or some years, just use next one :crackup:

Btw: if you killed the clip of your CL1H, why don't you just ask Alan for a new one?

Last edited:

Fird

Enlightened
I did, and he sent one for free! tehehe, Alan & Dereelight are very neat to work with.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Hey guys!
But something very simple that will hold the light securely and not be annoying to get the flashlight into (too tight) or out of (cover that's too annoying to use.)

What's the best holster for me?

Thanks!
-chris

http://www.lighthound.com/

LightHound has a variety of very good sheaths. I personally like carrying with the head down, as it may protect the glass from scratches, etc. They carry AW's batteries as well as many other good products. No screw ups on orders at all here.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering whether you have the OP reflector? it would improve the spill.
Yes, I have both reflectors. The OP helps, but when I think about working behind a rack you're holding the light like 1 foot away from what you're trying to see. Just doesn't seem like the right tool for the job to me. :)

ChrisWiggles

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have both reflectors. The OP helps, but when I think about working behind a rack you're holding the light like 1 foot away from what you're trying to see. Just doesn't seem like the right tool for the job to me. :)

Yeah, that's somewhat true, but if I'm spending much time behind a rack, I'll just use a work light, which is way better than any flashlight. Usually though, it's just in an equipment cabinet, which is very confined, and so I just bounce the beam off the sides of the furniture or whatever, or just take a quick peek to orient myself. Most of the time I use the flashlight it's on construction sites during prewire or in dark attics and crawlspaces and the like.

I actually ended up getting some generic holster at the local surplus store for about 7 bucks, and it's pretty good. The webbing at the sides is double laywer and not sewn at the top, so you can open it and slide a pencil or pen in there, which is really handy to have too.

My only complaint is that the velcro goes pretty much right to the edge of the flap, which doesn't leave some that's detached which aids in pulling off the flap. And because it's generic, the receiving portion of the velcro is gigantic and extends way past where the flap reaches, so my coat velcro often gets stuck on it if I'm wearing my coat. But summer is fast approaching, so not that big a deal.

I might consider also trying out something from here:
http://www.originalsoegear.com/productlights.html