MX Power 3-Cree Problem-Help!

mmbeller191

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the MX Power 3- Cree as a police duty flashlight for about 5 weeks now. I love its sheer power. My only problem is this flashlight seems to not like being screwed down tight. Especially where the head joins the tube, if I turn that too tight, the light goes off. If I loosen it up it comes on again. I have put a spacer that seemed to solve the problem but now it is happening again. Has anyone else had a similar problem or can anyone suggest a remedy? This has occurred with CR123s and RCR123s, so I don't think it is battery length related. This flashlight has springs at the head and the tail and I am trying to figure out what is going on with them to cause this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe the pressure is shorting something out. Try taking the light apart and seeing if anything that's not supposed to be touching it close to each other.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try screwing the head down with the tailcap off. Then put in the batteries and short the neg end against the body to turn on the light. If it works fine this way- the problem is probably not in the head. Have you taken the head apart to get at the leds? Some of these inexpensive lights need to be disassembled as far as possible- and everything checked for tightness and loose or poor soldered wires. Sometimes just a poor connection.

Good luck.

kwarwick

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the MX Power 3- Cree as a police duty flashlight for about 5 weeks now. I love its sheer power. My only problem is this flashlight seems to not like being screwed down tight. Especially where the head joins the tube, if I turn that too tight, the light goes off. If I loosen it up it comes on again. I have put a spacer that seemed to solve the problem but now it is happening again. Has anyone else had a similar problem or can anyone suggest a remedy? This has occurred with CR123s and RCR123s, so I don't think it is battery length related. This flashlight has springs at the head and the tail and I am trying to figure out what is going on with them to cause this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have this light and experienced a similar problem when I first got it. Unscrew the head from the battery tube and inspect the surface of the battery tube that contacts the ground spring in the head. On mine there was some anodization that once removed with fine sandpaper solved it.

Karl