How soon before we start seeing multiple P7 lights?

IcantC

Enlightened
I see many people have started modding lights with a P7, how soon before we see lights with tri or quad P7's?:devil:

IcantC

Enlightened
Oh nice! Can't wait to see your work :). Saw your other threads and you did a great job.

I should learn to solder so I can try some small stuff and then try a P7 build.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I would add....how soon with multiple P7, that have a nice hotspot and throw. Otherwise it will be a flood monster. It seems the major development in LED's needs to be mounting them on a superconducting heatsinking cylinder or sphere that can move in/out of a focusing reflector. Right now they remain stuck in "the Earth is flat" mode.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
a 3-inch head would be promising. We need to get modders like Fivemega to make bigger (3.5 inch perhaps) head to accomadate 3 largish reflectors, not quite as big as the regular mag reflector.

3 of C-bin P7s in a light that with NiMh Ds would pretty much render most 500+ dollar HID under 30 watts obsolete.

figure 150 for the head 20-30 for the heatsink, 90 or so for the LEDs, 20 for a donor 3-D mag, 15-18 dollars for batteries, say 25 for the driver, an amatuer could build a 2700+ lumen light for around 150+30+90+20+18+15=320ish, except it can take some abuse, and can be turned on and off at will. It will get hot but eh, heatsinking will take care of most of that

its gonna be a fun summer.:party:

Last edited:

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
It seems the major development in LED's needs to be mounting them on a superconducting heatsinking cylinder or sphere that can move in/out of a focusing reflector.
I agree, and it exists,I have thought about it for some time and suprised nobody has implemented it! "heatpipes" are the key!

mash.m

Enlightened
building a multi p7 is not the problem, but you will not get a small throw for a wide beam. or you need, maybe three big reflectors. it is like the ostars with the orinigal franel reflectos. brigth light, but much side spill. good for near aplications. if you want a flashligth for far alications you better take a hid with one big reflectors.
heatsinking is also a problem. my bigmag³ will get so hot after 10 minutes that you must dimm or shut off the light. it is like a formula one race car. very bright but not for contius use.
three p7 are 30 watt of pure heat that must also changes to the air. and therfore you need a big surface or active cooling. buliding a small multible p7 that runs more then 30 minutes or an houre is imho not realy possible. or it is very big and have a heavy wight.
example two: take one six die ostar and put them in a maglite with a massive heatsink. after 10 minutes running at 100% it will get also very hot!
heatpipes: ok take some heatpipes and then? where do you want to got with them? active cooling in a led flashlight ,not realy.

markus

Last edited:

kavvika

Enlightened
Multiple P7 lights!? Honestly, I'd be happy with a light with just one nice CSV0H emitter. Seeing as just one of them ~ equal to a nice Tri-Cree R2 torch, I don't see a need for more lumens. But, the first manufacturer of that torch would get lots of business from us CPFer's.

Also, what would a light that bright be used for? And I can't imagine how many modes it would need in order to be practical.

Supernam

Enlightened
I'm thinking optics would do better since you don't need a gigantic one to capture all of that spill.

Since none exists currently, Perhaps 3 P7's in a 3" head (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192304) with McR27's(dunno if it'll fit, didn't do the math) and drive them all individually with DB1500's on a bunch of D LiIons. OR, If you're crazy enough to want more output, perhaps 3 sharks (wire all three pots to one external pot! STROBE anyone?).

I'm guessing heat would be the first problem.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend emailed to Khatod and they will start making products for P7 in May 2008.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question was asked over at illuminationforums. The reply:
Elektrolumens said:
A Maglite switch will only handle a Max of 6A. I see them fail if I go much over that. I ran the Stunner at 8A, fried both switches and ruin some batteries. Heat was phenominal.

A single P7 I assume will generate heat, but the mass of the Mag should handle it. Two LEDs would be 1,800 lumens if run at max. But I would only go with a 3D, or 6D cell. For 3D, I think two P7 might be okay, that would probably be 4A at most. For 6D, the LEDs can be wired in pairs, and MAYBE four could be hooked up in there, and sink adequately. That would be as bright as a 3000 lumens yard light. Who needs a narrow beam if you have that? This would pull about 4A to 6A, and would be impressive.

I don't think you want to go more than four P7's in the Mag head, as there may be some overheating issues. That would be the equivalent to 16 SSC P4 LEDs (which would not fit)

As a matter of fact, the inside of the head might need some machining to fit four LEDs, as these LEDs are 12mm diamater.

If you want a MaxFlood, email me, I can make one easy enough. I think it would be fun.

I'm also thinking in terms of a very small flood light, perhaps powered from an 18650. About the size of the DeCree, but a flood, using the P7. It would depend on the need for sinking, how small the head can be. If not the 18650, then perhaps 3C cells. This would also be a fun cool light.

Wayne
For multiple P7s, I think one of those bodies with a 10A tail switch (instead of the stock Mag switch) is indicated.