3AA mods, suggestions

revs

Newly Enlightened
I have a Mac Tools 3xAA flashlight. It is similar in size to a Maglite 2AA light, just longer for the extra cell. It uses a clicky tail cap to turn on/off. I want to convert it to LED and get the most light/longest runtime I can. Any suggestions? Is there a drop-in that will take the voltage of 3 AAs or better? What are my power options for a 3AA host body?

Forgive me, I am new to this. I have some electronics background and can run soldering irons and DMMs.

Looking into the head of this light, there is a thin white disk that the light plugs into. Nothing fancy, just a disk. I like it because it has a rubber armored barrel and a rubber ring on the outside of the head for a good grip with gloves.

Thank you.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're asking a hard question. The minimag is the standard 2AA light we mod around here. Another one (of much better quality) was the brinkman 2AA light but that was more expensive and less popular. When custom manufacturers (sandwich shoppe etc,) design and make drop in modules, they are based on the maglite and do not fit in other shaped lights. This doesn't answer your question though...

I'm thinking that direct driving some LED is your best option. You'll probably have to get one with a high foward voltage so it would't fry with excessive current or use a series resistor to limit the current instead. The easiest thing that comes to mind is using a cut down SMJLED from the sandwich shop (or maybe from a member here). It is a multi die LED with the top cut off and polished. This allows it to throw it's light out at a much wider angle which makes it somewhat focusable with a reflector. It's not that bright relative to other things but will give you a long runtime.

You can do this with a Luxeon or Seoul high power LED as well but you MUST have some sort of heatsink for the LED.

revs

Newly Enlightened
Okay. Thank you. I was comparing the two, a MiniMag and the Mac Tools light and the Mac Tools one doesn't have the same piece that the bulb pushes into. I'm sure they both use a similar bulb, but the Mac has a thin white disk instead of the black plug of a Mag.

I will look into the SMJLED. I haven't seen a drop in for a 3AA Mag. I think it will take one. As long as it will handle 3AA batteries. The white piece looks like it will come out fairly easy. It just provides a base for the buld to contact the batteries. It doesn't turn the bulb on/off.

Thank you

Last edited:

revs

Newly Enlightened
As soon as I figure out how to post some, I will get them up. Kinda new at this stuff. Never posted pics before.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it uses the same type of bulb as the minimag, you can probably fit in a terralux module but use only two cells and a dummy.

revs

Newly Enlightened
I need to get a new clicky tailcap. The switch in it broke. I guess that is what happens on a 15 year old light. And guess what, Mac Tools no longer makes them. I'll have to see if I can find a clicky for a Maglight that will fit it. I put in a 5mm LED and it is a lot brighter. But now it don't turn on and off.

simple

Newly Enlightened
If you'd consider DIY instead of buying a drop-in, I'd recommend those 7135 based drivers + SSC LED. These drivers (some offer multi-mode) are very thin so fitting should not be a problem. Although they are designed to work with single li-ion, they provide excellent regulation and efficiency for the 3AA configuration too. Unless you have a very good plan for heat sinking, I'd say keep the current under 350mA.

revs

Newly Enlightened
Here is the end view.

[img=http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png]

I can't get the end view photo to show up. Not sure what I am doing wrong. The other one is showing.

And here is a complete view, with my new E01 next to it for size comparisons.

Sorry for the poor quality. Learning how to change settings on the wife's camera.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

revs

Newly Enlightened
Where it is an aluminum body, I am pretty sure it will dissipate some heat. But, I am worried the plastic might melt. I was wondering if there is any kind of drop in that would replace the plastic?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Here is the end view.

[img=http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png]

I can't get the end view photo to show up. Not sure what I am doing wrong. The other one is showing.

And here is a complete view, with my new E01 next to it for size comparisons.

Sorry for the poor quality. Learning how to change settings on the wife's camera.

Thanks all.

That looks exactly like the old Brinkmann Legend lights that have the lock out tailswitch. Those can easily be modded. Just remove the entire bulb socket assy, pop in a Sandwich like for MiniMags, & change or modify the reflector. The Sandwich will need to be a GD board, Flupic, etc. though to handle the 3AAs.

As for the tailswitch (assuming it is a copy of the Legend), tail cap switches for Minimags will not fit, the threads are different. If possible you will need to find a Legend tailcap & use the parts to fix your red tailcap. I have these old Lumapro flashlight which is a copy of the Legend, you may be able to use parts from one of those if you can find one. I also have these cheap AA PR base lights that have a reverse clicky rubberized tailcap that fit the Legends.

I can help you out if needed.

revs

Newly Enlightened
Any idea where to find 2 of these tailcaps? I have a Snap-on tools branded light just like this one except it is 2AA. The threads aren't much different than a minimag, I have screwed this cap onto my minimag and it fit and actually functioned on the minimag. But, my minimag tailcap won't fit on this light.