E0 to E01 conversion *BEAMSHOT pics added*

warlord

Enlightened
So has anyone here upgraded an E0 to a Nichia GS LED here...other than me? :D

To the naked eye it doesn't look 2x as bright but it certainly is a whiter light. Thanks to Brlux for selling these great LEDs. Now I'll have a point of comparision when my E01 comes in.

I'll get some pics in sometime tonight.

edit: added some pics, see post #10 for more:

exposure.jpg

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: E0 to E01 conversion

The naked eye is not good at telling a 2x increase in brightness (which looks more like a 50% increase in brightness). You need a meter.

warlord

Enlightened

The naked eye is not good at telling a 2x increase in brightness (which looks more like a 50% increase in brightness). You need a meter.

Yeah I know, that's what I meant when I said it doesn't look 2x as bright. I'll probably get a light meter eventually.:broke:

Led75

Newly Enlightened

Warlord..did the runtimes change?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find trying the lights outdoors in the dark gives me a better idea of the brightness of the light

warlord

Enlightened

I just did it so I can't compare runtimes...especially since it would take quite a few hours (and I need more new batteries).

Also, I took the lights outside in the dark and was better able to tell the difference in brightness. At about 15ft. the GS is noticebly brighter and the color makes a huge difference.

Sorry, it looks like there'll be no pictures tonight because both of my camera batteries are dead. :thumbsdow

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

So has anyone here upgraded an E0 to a Nichia GS LED here...other than me? :D

Yes. I did it this weekend. :thumbsup: It is much brighter than stock, but the beam is slightly elliptical (which is typical for the Nichia GS).

I am also modding my 1st generation X1 (optic) with a Nichia GS. I just got it open today (freeze pop), so I should be able to mod it in the next few days. After that will be my CPF Safe-Light. Then, any other 5mm LED light that I find in my collection. :laughing:

warlord

Enlightened

Then, any other 5mm LED light that I find in my collection. :laughing:

Yeah I noticed the ovalish spot, too. I've also modded a cheap headlamp with one of the GS's. The other leds in the headlamp will be the old CS's since I'd hate to waste them. Or maybe I'll use them in some of my giveaway 9V flashlights...IDK.

It's kinda fun looking around at what else to mod.

BTW, did you do a runtime on the old E0?

fluke

Enlightened

Yes. I did it this weekend. :thumbsup: It is much brighter than stock, but the beam is slightly elliptical (which is typical for the Nichia GS).

I am also modding my 1st generation X1 (optic) with a Nichia GS. I just got it open today (freeze pop), so I should be able to mod it in the next few days. After that will be my CPF Safe-Light. Then, any other 5mm LED light that I find in my collection. :laughing:

Oooooh that's an idea maybe an E0 on its way soon :whistle:

warlord

Enlightened

OK finally found a good wall (well ceiling ;) to take some pics on:

exposure.jpg

GS modded E0 (pic1), stock CS E0 (pic 2) exposure normal (0)
tn_FILE0095.jpg
tn_FILE0094.jpg

GS modded E0 (pic1), stock CS E0 (pic 2) exposure -2
tn_FILE0089.jpg
tn_FILE0090.jpg

I polished the bezel so that might be why it's a little ringy.

Here's some pics of the open E0

tn_FILE0047.jpg

tn_FILE0043.jpg

tn_FILE0044.jpg

Hopefully this gives everyone an idea of what the long awaited E01's will be like. I can't wait until mine comes in so I can do some comparisons.

Last edited:

edc3

Enlightened
Thanks Warlord! Great shots. Makes me want to try that myself while I'm waiting for my E01. But my flashlight budget is shot for the rest of the month. :broke:

I do have an X1 lying around that I could sacrifice in the name of science...

streetmaster

Enlightened
Thank you SO much for those beam shots! :bow: I've been looking for something to give me an idea of what the E01 will be like. :buddies:

How far from the ceiling is the E0 when making those shots?

Last edited:

warlord

Enlightened
No problem.:thumbsup:

I feel the same way, I just can't wait for my first of many E01's to come in.

For clarification the beamshots are from about 4ft. or 1.2meters.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey...thanks! To me it definantly looks brighter...especialy the hot spot:thumbsup:

EntropyQ3

Newly Enlightened
I would judge the CS at full exposure to be slightly more similar to the GS die at -2 exposure, than the GS at full.
So saying that the CS at full is roughly in the middle of the two GS shots is probably reasonably accurate, which would mean that the GS should be twice as bright. And with a nicer tint. I don't know if the E01 has changed the driver circuit in any way, I can't recall if I've read it anywhere.

Last edited:

warlord

Enlightened
In the pictures the change in brightness is very noticeable. It is easy to believe that the new LED is 2x as bright; just like the LED specs suggest. Especially if you compare the hotspots.

In person I would probably say it looks 50% brighter but like said before that has to do with how our eyes see light. The color is also nice.

Hopefully this gives everyone a "fix" while we wait anxiously for those E01's.:popcorn:

mighty82

Enlightened
Early in the "E01 thread" we discussed the circuit of the E0, and it seems it's "constant voltage" regulated rather than constant current. The GS have a lower vf than the CS, so putting a gs in a E0 will result in up to 4x the output, but the runtime will be cut in half (100% efficiency increase). From this beamshots it looks to me it's more than double the output.

So I don't think the E01 will be as bright as this, fenix must have changed the circuit to keep the same runtime/10 lumens. And if you test the runtime of your modded E0 i will guess you get no more than 5 hours. So don't go whining when you all get your E01's about it not being as bright as you thought it would be from what you have seen here.

warlord

Enlightened
Really? I've got a modded test one that's been running for over 16hours (8+hours a night for the past 2 nights) on alkalines. Obviously, there's something going on that doesn't fit the equation...