how to build a firestarter?

ambientmind

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the incan forum, but I'm looking to build a "firestarter" out of a mag body. I was mainly wondering what parts are involved and what the approx cost would be. I tried searching, but found nothing definite. From what I did find, it looks like I'll need at least a 100w bulb, a boro lens, and kiu's socket which i'm not really sure what that is. I'm just not sure which bulb to use, what batteries, switch or driver if any is needed. Thanks!

ambientmind

Enlightened
thank you! so a mag623 would light paper? lots of good info there, thanks!

ambientmind

Enlightened
anyone else out there with some ideas? i'm pretty good with the led mods but incans are another universe for me. :duh2:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
with leds you won't get enogh heat out of the front to burn paper...

I have a mag85 that used to work with standard switch + FM's bi pin adapter...in this way you can move the bulb and you can have it very near to the lens. I have started fire in abut 60sec indoor but with no resistence fix, unknow and not fresh batteries...

now I have high current batteries all resistance fixed and a kiu socket. I can easily say that when the bulb is focused for a good looking beam you'll never start fire with that.

so finally: power is important but sometimes isn't enough.

If you want to build a pure firestarter you'll find some good infos in the famous LuxLuthor most powerful maglite list (see my signline)

mag mods are expensive but you need the same items everytime:

metal reflector
glass lens
kiu socket
battery pack
mag host (depends on the battery pack)
bulb
charger

hope this help!

ambientmind

Enlightened
thats what my problem is, i know the basic components but i'm not sure which bulb/batteries to use to get the effect i want. it sounds silly but mainly i want to build it to light campfires when i go camping. thanks for all the help so far filiipo!

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Your main answer to your problem of what firestarter??..... is what batteries do you have now? Most of the guys here are using AW's li-ions because they pack alot of power in a small package. It will take alot of NiMH batteries to create the juice you are looking for. Like Filippo said, look at Lux's summary of all the lights and what the power requirements are.

The price jumps up alot if you go with AA sized stuff that requires tri or quad boring, again, a good reason to go with the li-ion, A123, or emoli. My M@g623 will be built, or is in the building process now, with emoli batteries. I have only had problems with one of my emoli batteries holding a charge for the two, maybe three months I have had them. I recommend you look into the emoli battery unless you already have something else you can use around the house.

Oh, AW's beautiful soft start switch is well worth the money if you have it. It makes the light that much more amazing to you and the people who you will amaze starting fires for!!

Bob E.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
with leds you won't get enogh heat out of the front to burn paper...

Been wondering about exactly this myself.

With the advent this year of multiple CREE, 20W LED, and SSC P7 torches, has a LED firestarter been made?

With multiple P7s, appropriately driven, 2000+ lumens is achievable.

Now LED light is mostly in the visible spectrum, with not much IR content, so is LED firestarting even possible? Or is it IR that makes hotwires burn paper?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree with Li-Ion batteries being the best choice for hotwires. I think NiMHs are, in general, better suited to hotwires, as even a widely-available consumer-grade cell like Eneloops are capable of around 8A. Cost, simplicity, safety, and ease of charging point toward NiMH cells. Of course, large Li-Ions are better at using all the space in a Mag tube, and fancy cells (Emoli, A123, and so on) are capable of more than enough current. For basic or beginner builds, though, I think NiMHs make more sense.

LEDs could start a fire just with visible energy, but not at the power levels and focus available today. Eventually, though, it'll probably happen.