Poll: Favorite Switches

What is your Favorite Switch?

• Total voters

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to know what is you favorite switch?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:.. Just as I suspected .. 10 outa 13 want forward/momentary clicky.

I hope the flashlight makers pay attention to this poll and offer us switch OPTIONS @ time of purchase.

Some are offering reflector options which is very nice.

Some of us push the "PayPal" button for every light we see with a forward/momentary switch.

It's an important "personal preference" to some .(like me):naughty:

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I'm hoping for as well. There are several lights that I love (i.e., Fenix) and one of the biggest wish list is to have forward clicky. It would be nice to provide the end user with a choice like Jetbeam (tactical momentary or clicky). MANUFACTURERS ... PLEASE VIEW THIS POLL!!!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there's an "all else being equal" assumption here which confuses the answer. If the reliability of all the switch types listed were magically the same, then the forward clickie would likely win for convenience; but in the real world, such an ultra-reliable forward clickie would then cost a lot more then the reverse clickie and both would cost a lot more than the twisty.

If the price were assumed to be equal among the switch designs (how manufacturers tend to see things) and the reliability of each switch fell wherever it might given the current state of industrial art, then the forward clickie would be a lot less reliable than either the reverse or (even more so) the twisty. In that case, I would go for the higher reliability of the twisty over any kind of clickie.

So IMHO the answer sort of depends on whatever other assumptions you mak about the switches.

kavvika

Enlightened
For any 1AAA, 1AA, and 1CR123A lights, I prefer twisty.
For any 2-3CR123A-sized lights, I prefer a forward tailcap clickie.
For anything larger (C or D cell Maglite), I prefer a side switch on the barrel.

But no matter what, the clickie switch must be forward. I cannot stand reverse clickies!:hairpull:

Sorry for the lengthly post, as it doesn't really help you out since this is a poll.:oops:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I belive the size and shape of the light are factors, for the most part I prefer rear forward clickies.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I generally prefer the body mounted clickies near the head of flashlight, like Maglite 3D, Streamlight SL20, Stinger, etc. However, I absolutely love the switch on the Gladius/Typhoon flashlights. It is a momentary tail-mounted switch for the most part. However, the tail switch rotates to three different positions for three different modes. It is much easier to activate one-handed than other lights, such as the TK10. Switching modes is also easily accomplished one-handed.

-- Frank

MetalZone

Newly Enlightened
Flashlights with a forward clicky and some way of switching between brightness modes are bound to be a plus point for me, ie, the NiteCore Defender Infinity.

I like the two stage momentary and twist for constant-on of the SureFire L1 since it can be easily operated with one hand. It's a no brainer operation really.
A single brightness momentary+twisty isn't enough for me. I like to have at least two easily accessible brightness.

I voted Tail Switch Forward Clicky because if I'm only limited to a single mode/brightness light, I'd take a forward clicky over the momentary+twisty. Easier and faster to operate IMHO.
There's just something I like about being able to make short momentary flashes without having to click on and click off.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The classic slide-switch-with-a-button switch on old flashlights was actually really good. It was reliable, compact, cheap, added no length to the light, could handle current and was very ergonomic for any size light (including Rogers hold, or whatever...).

Unfortunately it couldn't be waterproofed and required expensive machining for a thick walled (what we consider modern) light rather than just a stamping for the old sheet metal lights.

So tradeoffs, tradeoffs....

Last edited:

LiteFan

Enlightened
This is an ignorant question, but what is the difference between a reverse clickie and a forward clickie?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an ignorant question, but what is the difference between a reverse clickie and a forward clickie?
Reverse clickie: you push the button, it clicks first, and the light turns on. When you push to turn it off, it turns off first, then clicks, and stays off.

Forward clickie: you push the button, it turns on, and then it clicks to stay on. It allows you to momentarily turn on the light with a half button press without clicking it so it stays on.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just visited Fenix-store and saw this. Pretty cool that they're going to have forward clickies.

*** April 10, 2008 ***
We have received word that a shipment of L1T V2 and L2T V2 lights is being prepared for us. These will have the tactical forward-clicky tailcaps and should be available within two weeks. We will list these lights when they arrive.

craig333

Newly Enlightened
For any 1AAA, 1AA, and 1CR123A lights, I prefer twisty.
For any 2-3CR123A-sized lights, I prefer a forward tailcap clickie.
For anything larger (C or D cell Maglite), I prefer a side switch on the barrel.

But no matter what, the clickie switch must be forward. I cannot stand reverse clickies!:hairpull:

Sorry for the lengthly post, as it doesn't really help you out since this is a poll.:oops:

My feelings exactly. Hope they listen.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't object, really, to any switch type, except in some circumstances, the reverse clicky. I voted for the twisty though. Simpler, easier/faster to use and generally makes the light smaller. It still amazes me how many people are clueless as how to use one though. Two hands? Wake up!

Dave

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first choice has always been a twisty/momentary-on switch, e.g. SureFire 6P. A forward clicky is acceptable but for me nothing can beat the simplicity of momentary-on. I find it easy enough to turn on a twisty one handed anyway, so clickies don't have a great deal of appeal.

Regards,
Tempest