RC-N3 @ 240 lumens?

Footzo

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for a good while now and, although I've picked up an awful lot from you Guys, I've still a lot to learn.

Anyway, the CPF expenditure is already in full effect :crazy:. I now own a SureFire P6 (+p60, p61 and G&P LED drop-in) with the R2 Solarforce drop in + 2 extension tubes, an L0D and a P2D (Not the Q5 ones - the previous ones,) an inova T1. I'm still on primary cells and I've now been introduced to DX!

As a gentle toe-dip I've bought from DX (not yet received) a romisen RC-N3 and whilst crawling around for info on it I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380013773780&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

I was expecting it to be listed as 150 lumen with a possible 100 in reality but 240? Have Romisen recently stuck a new emitter in it and and this is the result or do you think it's just ebay nonsense?

Any comments greatly appreciated and many thanks to you all for the info I've gleaned so far anonymously.

LedSanders

Newly Enlightened
be careful buying from this seller "greatsucces123" I just bought a different light from him and he shipped it in a non padded envelope so all I got was an empty envelope.
I am still waiting for my flashlight 26 days later

"someone in the postal service now has a nice cree P4 torch!"

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
240 Lumens?!?!?!? That's a big pile of the stuff that issues from the northern end of a southbound horse.

Don't get me wrong, the RC-N3 is a nice light...I just got one myself. But I think, and this is only a semi-educated guess, with the P3 or P4 stock emitters, it would probably do a little over 100 lumens on an RCR, and 90 lumens on a primary CR123a. Even if you modded it with a Q5, I'd be surprised if it would put out more than 150 lumens.

Those here who actually know what they are talking about may have a different opinion, though that's my take on the matter.

Footzo

Newly Enlightened
240 Lumens?!?!?!? That's a big pile of the stuff that issues from the northern end of a southbound horse.

Don't get me wrong, the RC-N3 is a nice light...I just got one myself. But I think, and this is only a semi-educated guess, with the P3 or P4 stock emitters, it would probably do a little over 100 lumens on an RCR, and 90 lumens on a primary CR123a. Even if you modded it with a Q5, I'd be surprised if it would put out more than 150 lumens.

Those here who actually know what they are talking about may have a different opinion, though that's my take on the matter.

Hi BBF - that's what I was expecting from my DX one. It's just that the 240 is so out of kilter with the normal advertised numbers that I really thought something must be different.

Thanks for the warning LEDsanders - I treat ebay with extreme caution - that's why I'm so nervous having discovered DX! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies.

Bigsy

Enlightened
If its 240 stock... then mine that I modded with a ~1.3a driver and Q5 must be close to 500 lumens, but we all know it can't be.

Ebay nonsense ;)

Footzo

Newly Enlightened
If its 240 stock... then mine that I modded with a ~1.3a driver and Q5 must be close to 500 lumens, but we all know it can't be.

Ebay nonsense ;)

Was the mod difficult - if you don't mind me asking? I'm a numpty with such things but I might be able to find someone to help if it was fairly painless.

What do you think you get out if it now? (I haven't figured out lux numbers yet so a guesstimate in lumens would be nice :thinking: )

Thanks.

Bigsy

Enlightened
Quite simple, the internals are the same as the G2 (see massive g2 mod thread) but imo its easier to mod as the pill size is a little bigger meaning you have to shave less of the driver.

Only tricky part was soldering the outside of the driver to an aluminium pill, not recommended but I got the solder to take in the end. I had to do this as I took the brass ring out of the pill to fit the driver (DX 7882) you wouldnt need to do this if you used another driver....say the 7135 based driver both DX and kai sell, it's quite flat and would easy fit. I used one previously in this mod.

As for the light a Q5 at ~1a puts out 250+ lumen's so maybe 280, 290 emitter lumen's, its quite bright, and hot. I put heatsink compound over all the pill threads and it seems to work well. I've not tested full run time but I think the battery would probably run out quicker than it overheating on high. In fact run time is really poor, I've been thinking about running 2xNiMh as this driver will push at nearly 1.2a it would seem on them.

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi BBF - that's what I was expecting from my DX one. It's just that the 240 is so out of kilter with the normal advertised numbers that I really thought something must be different.

Thanks for the warning LEDsanders - I treat ebay with extreme caution - that's why I'm so nervous having discovered DX! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies.

I think you'll like your DX RC-N3. It has good throw for such a small light (1 x CR123a). I only have a few Cree lights, all inexpensive RC-G2, RC-N3, RC-A3 and the stainless Ultrafire C3, and the RC-N3 seems a bit brighter than the ss C3, but the C3's beam is much nicer, but with less throw. All of the lights were as nice, or better than I expected, and I've had no problems with them.

I've had good luck with DX. They aren't the fastest, but the stuff does finally show up. Generally, 2 to 3 days from order to shipping, then 10 to 12 days to get to me here in CT, USA. That's if the stuff doesn't go to 'backordered' status between the time I order it and they update their website. :scowl: Even then it shows up, eventually.

The only tricky thing DX does is they will split your order if you've ordered multiple items, and send what's available first. They won't tell you this...you have to check in order tracking when they tell you they've shipped something, to see just what it is they sent you.

Bigsy

Enlightened
It's SKU 7882 on DX Kai sells it too, it is adjustable output. I wouldn't recommend it though out of 12, only 1 had working modes, all other would only work if I bypassed the mode chip.

BTW this was out of a batch of 5 from kai and 7 from DX, I have so many as they came as replacements for ones I reported not working. All came with the newer blue pcb, they feel good quality, but there not I'm afraid I tested all mine before soldering nearly all being faulty.

I've given up on it now, never hand any issues with other drivers.

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the current draw with the stock driver/LED? I was thinking this'd be a great light as I've head it's 0.4A on 2 AA's, but 100 lumens on a P4 is more than 0.4A...

Bigsy

Enlightened
Aye it pulls about 0.4 on 2xAA and 0.7>0.5 on RCR.

Last edited:

Footzo

Newly Enlightened
Quite simple, the internals are the same as the G2 (see massive g2 mod thread) but imo its easier to mod as the pill size is a little bigger meaning you have to shave less of the driver.

Only tricky part was soldering the outside of the driver to an aluminium pill, not recommended but I got the solder to take in the end. I had to do this as I took the brass ring out of the pill to fit the driver (DX 7882) you wouldnt need to do this if you used another driver....say the 7135 based driver both DX and kai sell, it's quite flat and would easy fit. I used one previously in this mod.

As for the light a Q5 at ~1a puts out 250+ lumen's so maybe 280, 290 emitter lumen's, its quite bright, and hot. I put heatsink compound over all the pill threads and it seems to work well. I've not tested full run time but I think the battery would probably run out quicker than it overheating on high. In fact run time is really poor, I've been thinking about running 2xNiMh as this driver will push at nearly 1.2a it would seem on them.

WOW - 250 real ones? OK - This I have to investigate :D. I'd like to stick with primary cells though - would all that work at 3v and below?
Any chance of a guess at the output changing just the emitter only?

Thanks for your help. I'm off to look for the 'massive G2 mod' thread.

Bigsy

Enlightened
Yes that driver is fine at 3v, but I wouldn't recommend it as I say. Also the 7135 based drivers are NOT suitable for this voltage.

If we assume a Q5 is 25% brighter than a P4 then that's the increase your going to get.

At 3v I would guess the N3 is only going to be around 150 lumens (being v.optimistic), so ~190lm from the emitter is the absolute top end you would expect.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Q5 at 1 amp produces around 230 lumen at the emitter, the R2 will hit around 250 lumen. If you direct drive the LED with a 14500 battery, you might be able to get 200 lumen out the front.

With 1 AA and the 7882 driver, I'd expect around 140 lumen out the front.

It is possible to mod the RC-N3 to around 240 lumen at the emitter.