P91 on Pila G3?

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Can I use a sure fire P91 on the Pila G3? I just got a Pila G3 and find the beam quite disappointing. Yes, it's bright, but the beam is more of a flood then a typical surefire beam. There's hardly a hotspot.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if the Li-Ion battery's will power the P91.
If the lamp fits you can use the DL123 batteries and it'll probably work

I have a GL2R & GL3R on the way to me now, also have the M90/GL4R and like it a lot even though it is more flood than spot. Bright enough for me to use on duty every night

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
hmm....isn't the P91 more of a flood also when compared to a P90?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. As with other SureFire HOLAs, the P91 beam "contains" more lumens which are spread over a larger area, so that even though any given point within the P91's beam may not be brighter than the equivalent P90 point, the total amount of light is approx twice as much.

Not only does the P91 brightly illuminate a larger area, it also gives a strong subjective impression of brighter light.

In actual use, the difference between a P90 and P91 is dramatic.

Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like G3 beam more than P90. G3 hot spot seems like a scale-down SF 10X. Beam pattern between P90 and G3 is very similar as M6 w MN20 vs 10X. In fact, I replace P90 in my C3 w G3 LA and it works flawlessly.

Alan

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. So it sounds like it would work. Just bought one but haven't have the chance to test it yet. This setup should produce the most lumen for the buck if it works. The G3 and P91 together cost around the same price an a 6P.

Alan, do you know any place in HK that I can get a Pila replacement bezel in case I melt mine?

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
BTW, I've measured the hotspot brightness and found that the hotspot of a scropion to be BRIGHTER then that of the G3. A surge have even brighter hotspot. I'm not saying that the G3 is bad, it beat the scorpion and surge hands down on light output. However, I prefer a bit more throw.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chuen,

Did you contact Pila about replacement bezel?

If you're looking for hot spot and little spill light, you might be interested more in 3 cells SF with Turbo head or Stinger HP.

I prefer more spill especially for small EDC light. When I need throw, I will use my M6 w MN20 or X990:)

Alan

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
No, haven't tried Pila for replacement bezel. How much do they charge for replacement bezel? I would very much like to have a M6 for throw. But I can't justify spending that much money on a flashlight, yet.

BTW, I have put the P91 on the Pila G3. It works! Although the bezel won't screw all the way in. The P91 is 50% brighter overall, and get a much tighter hotspot. I'm very happy with this setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
madecov said:
Not sure if the Li-Ion battery's will power the P91...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the Copia 9T conversion and the Li-Ion is very capable of powering the P91. Nice and bright, no yellow. Don't know about run time, probably 15 min with the 1000mAH Li-Ion. Just top off, Li-Ion prefers to be topped off rather than cycled fully.

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, Chuen hit the post button before I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif