2008 Olight T10 & Fenix E01!

Yapo

Enlightened
I got both lights on my doorstep today...both shipped out last friday, the Fenix from torchworld.com.au and the Olight from batteryjunction.com I was suprised that the shipping from the US was as fast as from the state next door(Victoria). but anyhow onto the lights...

The Fenix E01 came with a free strawberry chuppa chup which i will enjoy later...along with fenix diffuser tip and red filter cap which i also ordered. The fit and finish of the light was as expected as good as my other fenix's although the threads like my L0D RB80 seems a little loose when screwed out past the o-ring(probably because of the small size of the light). Also the LED was slightly off centre...i guess its abit hard not to be when theres only 1/2 mm of space to jiggle around with. The Led also seems to be abit too far in...as only about half the reflector actually seems to be reflecting light directly from the led. Outputwise it seems slightly brighter than the L0D on low although the spill isnt as wide it is brighter and the hotspot is "oval" shaped like others have describled and is bluish with a yellow ring and yellowy corona around it but it should be useful long running light none the less! (although its the light wont be mine for long!)

Now onto the 2008 Olight T10 Q5...It came nicely packed in a box full of foam bits. The Olight box was actaully smaller than i thought it would be...the same size as the Fenix box although the light itself was slightly buldging out of it. The fit and finish seems identical to Fenix's. But compared to my P1D CE it doesnt feel as solid/heavy. The threads were a little rough and needed cleaning and relubing and also my protected rcr123 were a little tight. The modes and output seems nice although it doesnt seem as convenient when changing modes as i've only ever had pure twist or click lights...could need some getting used to. The beam is nice and tight compared to my P1D CE w/SMO but it's dark cree ring has been transformed into more of a wide dark band with a faint yellow ring at the edge of it...you could say that the textured half of the "deep" reflector has spread the ring out more evenly. The spill isnt as wide, probably due to the deep reflector but it is bright. The hotspot seems to have a small donut hole smack in the middle of it and it seems to be visible at all distances on a wall...hopefully it wont be as visible in actual use.
Apart from the donut hole it seems like a great light and also the tailclicky is nice and soft! Anyone else see a donut hole in their Olights?

Also the Fenix diffuser and red filter lense fits on the Olight better than my Fenix P1D does...the knurling on the P1D makes it abit too tight!

I dont have time to take pics/beamshots now...i'm goin away on a camp tomoro...might take some there if i can!

Last edited:

LA OZ

Enlightened
Re: Just got my 2008 Olight T10 & Fenix E01!

Gr8 description. I was thinking whether I should get the Olight but never feel the need for it yet. Thanks.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Enjoy the T10. It is a great light. You are very fortunate that your tailswitch is "soft". Most people have complained about how how stiff it is. My tailswitch is stiff, and the only thing I don't like about mine. Once you get accustomed to the interface on the T10, you will love this light. I particularly like the light retaining its last used light level. It greatly simplifies using the light, especially when you rarely use anything but that light level.

bdsmchs

Newly Enlightened

I've got the T10 w/Q5 and I absolutely love it. Right now it sits right next to my wallet in my pocket every day.

I love the reflector, I think it was a great idea to go with the half-OP. There is some VERY SMALL artifacting (donut, yellow'ish) in the center of the spot, but it's just not enough for me to really notice or care.

To me, this light has a great combination of throw and spill, especially for such a small light.

I plan on picking up the T15 battery tube, just so I have an AA-backup option. Plus, it's only 9$, so why not?

I thought the method of switching brightness levels was a little weird at first, but it's actually grown on me to the point that I like it now.

The fact is, there is no ring or button to press to switch levels. You just open up the head a 1/4 turn and close it again (and even a 1/4 turn isn't needed). The cool thing with this method is that once you've switched brightness levels, the flashlight is sealed again, and there's nothing to move. It seems counter-intuitive at first, but then it just makes sense! It's not super-fast or convenient, but it's bomb-proof, and I'll take that ANY day.

LOVE my T10!

Yapo

Enlightened

yeh on the back of my box it actually says 1/8 of a turn but yeh you only need to turn it just enough to feel it turn n back to change modes...but the 5 lvls of output seems so well spaced out that i dont know which i should use lol..."hmm mode doesnt seem much dimmer then the last mode":thinking:

I was thinking of getting the AA body when i was ordering but the shipping was already alot so i didnt want to add more to the cost and also my nimh AA's and charger are no good so they would need upgrading as well...

Yapo

Enlightened

I just got back from a camp...As for the donut hole in the T10 its not very noticable in actual use and also the tight hotspot doesnt seem to throw much more than my P1D CE...i reckon the bigger and softer hotspot seems more useful and having a smaller/brighter spill doesnt make much difference at medium/longer distances. I just did a ceiling bounce test in my white bathroom and i was disappointed to find that the output from the 190/180(site/box) lumens Q5 rated olight looked pretty much the same as my 135 lumen P4 rated fenix(i've read that its acutally around 110 out the front) apart from the slightly cooler tint from the olight. Not only that, the lowest mode rated at 6/11(site/box) lumens seems to be the same brightness as my 7.5 lumens from my L0D rb80...i'm not so sure which values i should believe. and also the 3.6V rcr123 seemed to have gone flat pretty quick and without any warning either...i used it on highest probably for less than 5 mins and primarily on the lowest for probably about < 30mins with an couple mins on the medium modes.

Does anyone have both Fenix and Olight prefer their fenix more? or is it mostly the Olight only people who finds real joy in it?

I think i'll order the next Fenix P1D when they make a rcr123 friendly version!

Last edited:

Frankiarmz

Enlightened

I have the Olight T-20 and T-20 special edition which I think are very good flashlights with plenty of features. I am disappointed to hear the high output on your T-10 is nowhere near the advertised lumens. I want to hear more because I was thinking of buying this flashlight but not if it off as much as you claim. My most recent flashlight the Tiablo MA1 is nice for it's size but here too it is not what is was advertised to be on high.

Yapo

Enlightened

Yeah i want to hear more of what people think of the Olight compared with Fenix...From what ive read alot of people are happy with their olights and some say its better than fenix whereas others think otherwise...

and also i thought the light level changing method was great at first since they light doesnt flash off between light levels but i find that the light sometimes step down twice in one loosen + tighten especially when done slowly...

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yapo,

A light meter will show you the output difference between those lights but you cannot really tell from a ceiling bounce test - human eyes simply aren't sensitive enough and it's nearly impossible to turn one on, turn it off, turn on the other and make any real comparison. The T10 has a tightly focused beam so if you can imagine the output overlaps in a concentrated area - easy to measure with a light meter, hard to see with your eyes. The same goes for 6 vs 7.5 LM, your eyes simply cannot tell the difference between 6 and 7.5 LM.

kzad

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a 2008 version t10 a few weeks ago...has the hole in the center and occasionally steps down two levels instead of one like Yapo mentioned, seems to be getting better though, maybe its breaking in? Only reason I bought it was for the rcr compatability, haven't used it enough to give any run time estimates. I still prefer the P2D UI, being able to start on either the highest or lowest level without first turning the light on, but I'll give the Olight a chance,maybe it'll grow on me.

jim331656

Newly Enlightened
will this light retain modes running on unprotected rcr's or are you using protected?

I just picked up a 2008 version t10 a few weeks ago...has the hole in the center and occasionally steps down two levels instead of one like Yapo mentioned, seems to be getting better though, maybe its breaking in? Only reason I bought it was for the rcr compatability, haven't used it enough to give any run time estimates. I still prefer the P2D UI, being able to start on either the highest or lowest level without first turning the light on, but I'll give the Olight a chance,maybe it'll grow on me.

Yapo

Enlightened
i think it should work fine with unprotected...its meant to have a low battery flash warning although i'm not quite sure when that kicks in...i think i may have seen some flashes b4 on it just b4 the battery went flat so it didnt help much in warning me to chg to a lower mode because once the battery is low and if ur on high lvl you cant change to a lower mode as it only flashes on for half a sec before turnin off...i've used some overcharged rcr123 4.3+V in it and when i try changing light lvls by twisting the head it changes to strobe instead.

Pistolero

Enlightened
I just received my T10 Q5 and it's a GREAT LIGHT. (Thanks Tommy)

It's now supplanted my Rexlight2.1 as Primary EDC. I just need to figure out how to get a good pocketclip on it.

I haven't moved to RCR's yet and I'm a bit hesitant to, but we'll see how hungry this puppy is.

Man_of_Stijl

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought an Olight T10 Q5 as my first 'real' flashlight and it's a really great light. I actually have it on my keychain. I got a 5-pack of CR123s with it when I ordered it about three months ago and I'm only on the second one despite constant and often unneccissary use.

jim331656

Newly Enlightened
Cool The t10 seems to be what I am looking for if it will run on 3.7 rcr's... Of course for $9 extra I think picking up the t-15 tube is a good buy.