Cree R2

sbninja

Newly Enlightened
I recently recieved my Cree R2 drop in from ebay, for my sure fire 6p. I already bought 2 cree q5's from the same place, and am very happy with the performance.

However, I am little dissapointed in the R2. The light form the R2 is on the purple side, and it heats up the body of the 6p - the Q5 is a white light and does not get hot. It seems that the Q5 is a bit brighter , maybe because fo the white light Vs. the purple tint of the R2.

Anyway, I ordered another Cree Q5 drop-in.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could experience the exact same thing with a Q5. The heat is probably down to how the module is put together and how hard they drive the emitter.

Most of the cheap dropins don't specify a tint bin, so it's luck of the draw if you'll get purple, blue, green, yellow, etc tints.

Marduke

Flashaholic
An LED is not like a light bulb. The Q5 can run just as hot, it all depends on what current the designer chooses to run the LED at. The tint can vary with all brands, and that's why BOTH the efficiency AND tint is specified when you buy bare LED's.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that the Q5 does not get hot is very bad. All the heat has to go somewhere- if it's being spread to the body of the flashlight, this is good as the LED will have a long life. If the body of the flashlight does not heat up, then you're in effect roasting the LED, which will severely shorten it's life.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have nothing but praise for my DX R2 module. It is significantly whiter & brighter than my DX-P4 module. The P4 module is slightly yellow by comparison, but color-wise hardly significant enough to raise a stink over.

I think you may have a bum module, or perhaps they used a very blue color bin.

I also would not rule out a scam from the ebay seller. Thats always a possibility, being that Ebay protects sellers more than its buyers. It would be impossible to file a fraud claim against them, being that all the emitters all look the same, and color bins can vary greatly.