Recommendations for UV Light

jcsabolt2

Newly Enlightened
I'm going on a little trip in a little over a month hunting overseas for a few days and have been looking for a UV light to help with tracking blood trails. About the only two I have found have been from PentagonLight S2 UV Light that runs on 2-CR123A and the Streamlight Twin Task 3C-UV that operte off of C cells. The Pentagon is definitely the best of the two lights, but costs over $100. I have found the Streamlight for around $35. However, I don't really care for C cells because I NEVER have any around. Does anyone make a good UV light to detect blood that operate off of AA size batteries? I have seen to cheap $6 Chinese knockoffs, but will not waste my money either. Any recommendations?

OH! Gerber also makes a "tracking" light that a buddy of mine is out in the bush testing until the end of the week for $35-$45, but I wasn't too impressed with it.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you want to use it for?

The type or style of UV light will depend on what you want to illuminate. Not all UV lights are created equally and even being a little bit higher up on the nm scale will cause some things not to show up as well or at all. For instance, Photon UV microlights are in the 370nm range and are only about $30. They will light up some things a 395nm light won't. Doesn't sound like much but really makes a difference.

cy

Flashaholic
here's another LED light specifically designed to track blood
http://www.xenopuselectronix.com/xeled/BloodTracker.html

"Technical note: This is not a UV product. Blood does not fluoresce under UV (unless separated unto plasma). Blood looks black under Blue, Near-UV, and UV. Blood absorbs Blue, Near-UV, and UV. This product relies on the reflecting properties of blood.

We make Crime Scene lights with 465nm, 410nm, or UV for absorption if required."

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I'm intrigued. How is the throw with their provided reflector?

Regards,
Eric

It's not a thrower by any means - the reflector simply bounces off any light that hits its flat surface - it doesn't focus the beam at all. Despite that the relarively high output means that it can throw a visible (I can't test for UV) beam of non-UV over 50' with but is a lot more effective within 35'.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Here's a different approach you might want to take. Check out this product: http://www.bluestar-forensic.com/

I had a chance to see it in action at the IWA Shot Show in Nuernberg this year and it works great. There is a DNA safe version that does not destroy DNA like Lumanol. You drop two tablets in a spray container with water, mix it up and when you spray an area that has blood, it glows like a chem light exploded. It can be used in low light conditions and doesn't need to be charged up with an exterior light source like lumanol.

If you aren't doing a CSI type trip, they sell a cheaper version for hunters. Spray it around on a trail or leaves, and follow the glowing path. It doesn't glow forever, but did last a few minutes in the demo area at the show. No, I don't work for the company or get a cut on sales. It just seemed like a cool product that I took an interest in. Good luck!

jcsabolt2

Newly Enlightened
I may have just found a better option...Primos Bloodhunter light by Optronics...makes blood GLOW. It has some pretty good reviews on Cabela's web site. I would still prefer something the size of a handheld tactical light, but this should work for now.

Last edited: