Does this light exist? 2xAA, single mode, approx 80 lumens, 4+ hours & not from DX/KD

becht43

Newly Enlightened
Does this light exist? 2xAA, single mode, approx 80 lumens, 4+ hours & not from DX/KD

I have been trying to find a light like this and the closest I have seen is the
Sportsman Xtreme 3W, but that is not quite 80 lumens and not close
to a 4 hour run time.

I don't want to deal with DX/KD, so are there other options?

warlord

Enlightened
Re: Does this light exist? 2xAA, single mode, approx 80 lumens, 4+ hours & not from D

The Fenix L2D CE or the L2D Premium Q5 both meet or exceed the lumen output and runtime in medium mode.

Fenix L2D CE- 80lumens for 4hr.

Fenix L2D Premium Q5- 107lumens for 4 hr.

They also have turbo modes for even more lumens.

edit: just saw the single mode thing. disregard.

becht43

Newly Enlightened
Re: Does this light exist? 2xAA, single mode, approx 80 lumens, 4+ hours & not from D

Marduke, thanks, I will see if my Sam's has this light.

As for Streamlight, thanks for the suggestions but I have the
4AA ProPoly and have had nothing but trouble. THe switch broke once.
The light causes every set of batteries to leak and as a result has
clouded the front plastic so bad the light output is probably halved. I
won't be buying another Streamlight.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened

what is wrong with dx? I've never bough from there before, Id like to know for the future.

Brownstone

Enlightened

Does this light exist? 2xAA, single mode, approx 80 lumens, 4+ hours & not from DX/KD?

UltraFire WF-601A:
2xAA
Single Mode
80 Lumens
Runtime ~ 3.5 - 4.0 hours
Sold lots of places besides DX/KD
P.S. - This refers to the current "Cree" version of this light, not the previous "3W" version.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic

what is wrong with dx? I've never bough from there before, Id like to know for the future.

Some people just prefer not to deal with businesses based on China who only accept PayPal. Personally I've had great luck with DX and horrible luck with Kai, YMMV

HKJ

Flashaholic

Marduke has said most of it, but he did not mention that some of the stuff dx carries are very cheap stuff and the quality of a $10 light is not exactly the same as a $60 light (But your might get lucky sometimes).

Marduke

Flashaholic

Marduke has said most of it, but he did not mention that some of the stuff dx carries are very cheap stuff and the quality of a $10 light is not exactly the same as a $60 light (But your might get lucky sometimes).

Well, they carry the entire gamut. From off-brand lights that are not worth the aluminum they are made out of, to higher end brands like Fenix, Jetbeam, and Tiablo. To stay safe you just have to read the reviews on CPF on what you're interested in prior to purchasing.

becht43

Newly Enlightened

Brownstone

Thanks for the idea of the UltraFire WF-601A.

It looks promising.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened

ah, makes sense now. I've dealt with china based paypal companies before and had no problems, but its a definite concern.

Brownstone

Enlightened

becht, why you want just a single mode? Just curious...

I can't speak for him, but I personally appreciate a light that turns on when I push the button, and then turns off when I push the button. If I push the button four times in one second I want two on/off cycles, not to end up in some funky S.O.S. mode.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I can't speak for him, but I personally appreciate a light that turns on when I push the button, and then turns off when I push the button. If I push the button four times in one second I want two on/off cycles, not to end up in some funky S.O.S. mode.

And some multi mode flashlights will get your that, on example is the Fenix T series, another example is Surefire U.. flashlights.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

While not exactly 80 lumens, the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 3W is pretty close. It's a bit long, but it's tough. Mine has been literally rolling around in the bed of my truck for a month now, tethered to one of the cargo holds via parachute cord. I rarely use it, but still turns on when I need to see under the tonneau cover.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well there's the Terralux TLE-5EX for the MiniMag, but not sure what the runtime is with that. Otherwise the new Streamlight Jr. with "C4" (P4 Cree) led.

becht43

Newly Enlightened

Why single mode?
Simply because I would think one could exist cheap. Cheap being
under $40. But this type of light is few and far between based on
the recommendations in this thread and what I have been finding
on my own.

You see all these CR123A based lights that are single mode and run
long run times at around 80 hours. But everyone now seems to think
that folks either want a cheap not very bright light like the Xtreme 3W or
a more expensive multi-mode light that shoots 150 lumens like the L2T
or brighter with the L2D.

I would think someone could make a nice quality, aluminum OP, regulated, 2AA light
that shines for 4 hours time at around 80 lumens for under $40. Maybe this is
something not easily accomplished with the voltage of 2 AA batteries.

So far I have been given two excellent recommendations which I will investigate,
the Energizer and Ultrafire WF-601A. It seems that not many folks have
luck finding the Energizer.

I don't want DX or KD because I would like the light soon and like to be able
to return it easily if it is not satisfactory.

Brownstone

Enlightened

So far I have been given two excellent recommendations which I will investigate, the Energizer and Ultrafire WF-601A. It seems that not many folks have luck finding the Energizer.

If you have a Sam's Club membership, you can open an account on their website. They have these flashlights on auction right now.

RGB_LED

Enlightened

becht43, that's fair reasoning... I think that many manufacturers are now offering many more mult-level lights than single-mode. Reasons I'm sure are varied. I hope that, between your two choices, you find something that works for you.

I have to agree that the SOS mode on some lights is totally unncessary but there are lights available with a memory setting as well so you don't have to cycle through the different levels.

I was just curious to hear his thoughts as it's always interesting to hear how people use their lights. I find having multi-levels to be more useful: Turbo or high for lighting up a path, medium or low for longer runtimes and so you don't get blinded when you're looking for something nearby and strobe when riding on a bike at night in traffic. One light can fulfill all those uses. I'm sure that others would say that they only have use for one level, ie. LEO's with the super-bright, 'stun' setting. But, the beauty of lights is that... there is one out there for everyone!